IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 05:01 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Question Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires

So it's that time of the year again when I have to buy a new set of tires.

I've always bought Michelin, either PS2s or PS3s but recently came to find track/street tire from Michelin "Pilot Sport Cup". They're semi slicks.

Anyone tried these? I'm more interested in how long they will last me being driven daily on the street? any ideas?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+Cup

My PS3s have been on for over a year now and still have some life in them but I need to change them due to the heat here which kills the tires.

Sizes are limited, I will have to go down from 255 up front to 235 and from 275 in the rear to 265. But with the improved traction I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

P.S. It never rains here so I don't have to worry about driving in wet conditions.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has tried these tires or has heard of them.
Old 04-27-15, 06:42 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

From readjng the description, it states that they all come 6/32 tread. Thats not going to last very long but from reading the reviews, seems to be a great sticky tire on the road minus the wet conditions.
Old 04-27-15, 08:30 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I prefer the toyo r888 😜
Old 04-27-15, 09:09 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I run these tires on one of my other cars (Toyota MR2 Turbo) and they are very good tires but I will certainly testify when they say these tires are not to be used on roads with sitting water. As far as snow and ice, when you see the tread and tread patterns in person; you will easily see why they are a no-go for winter.

I was not real happy with these tires at first but this tire make was the only one available nationally in the unique stock size for the rear of second generation MR2's. Once I drove them and pushed them (no standing water or winter conditions) they have been the best driving tires I have had on the car and I have had the car for over 22 years.

Again, if not a lot of rain or winter in your area, they are damn good tires and give very good rear end play and feel. Sorry I cannot tell you too much as far as mileage for I do not drive that car too much but the tread wear has been even and the rears on Turbo MR2's have a tendency to wear out the inner tires (like that of the ISF front uneven wear) and I have not seen any indication of that happen yet.
Old 04-27-15, 10:33 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I prefer the toyo r888 😜
Ditto. Tried and true. Plus they have more sizes available and are cheaper.
Old 04-27-15, 11:10 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

They'll wear out super fast.. My Bridgestone re-11s are 9/32" and those suckers did not last very long, probably 1-2 years and I barely drove within those years.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-27-15, 11:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

As well as tread depth, it's also the rubber compound. A super soft grippy compound (Extreme Performance Tire) will also wear out faster than a Max Performance Tire which in turn will wear out faster than an All Weather Tire.

Lou
Old 04-27-15, 02:54 PM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I prefer the toyo r888 ��
Do you Run the Toyo r888 on a daily basis? Honestly I'm hesitant when it comes to buying anything other the Michelin PSS, PS2 or PS3. Mainly due to the ride comfort compared to other tires I've tried.

Originally Posted by mr2dave
I run these tires on one of my other cars (Toyota MR2 Turbo) and they are very good tires but I will certainly testify when they say these tires are not to be used on roads with sitting water. As far as snow and ice, when you see the tread and tread patterns in person; you will easily see why they are a no-go for winter.

I was not real happy with these tires at first but this tire make was the only one available nationally in the unique stock size for the rear of second generation MR2's. Once I drove them and pushed them (no standing water or winter conditions) they have been the best driving tires I have had on the car and I have had the car for over 22 years.

Again, if not a lot of rain or winter in your area, they are damn good tires and give very good rear end play and feel. Sorry I cannot tell you too much as far as mileage for I do not drive that car too much but the tread wear has been even and the rears on Turbo MR2's have a tendency to wear out the inner tires (like that of the ISF front uneven wear) and I have not seen any indication of that happen yet.
Thanks for the feedback, it does sound like a good tire but I'm just curious about how long they'll last.

Originally Posted by joshhleee
They'll wear out super fast.. My Bridgestone re-11s are 9/32" and those suckers did not last very long, probably 1-2 years and I barely drove within those years.
If it means changing tires every 1~2 years then that's ok for me. I've had my PS3s on now for around a year and 4 months and I'm planning on changing them even though they still have life in them.

Originally Posted by flowrider
As well as tread depth, it's also the rubber compound. A super soft grippy compound (Extreme Performance Tire) will also wear out faster than a Max Performance Tire which in turn will wear out faster than an All Weather Tire.

Lou
How fast will they wear out is what I'm curios about.

My issue is we have hot weather pretty much all year round. temp anything from 22c~50c (72f~122f) 80% of the time it's ~30c/ 86f. Absolutely no rain all what so ever.

Also I drive my car daily 50km round trip to and from work. I need something as good as the PS range but better...if that exists

as I said before I'm currently running 255 up front and 275 in the rear. With the Cup tires I'll have to down size to 235 and 265. Is it worth it?
Old 04-27-15, 06:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was going to give those a try since I have been track days but they dont come in the oem sizes. PSS for now but may move to RE11 for next round.
Old 04-27-15, 09:38 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the PSC1s on one of my Supras. The new PSC is the second-generation version. It is suppose to have better performance than the PSC1s and last longer with hard use. The PSC1s have a wear rating of 80 or about 6,000 miles if you heat cycle them (Tire Rack will do this for you) and are **** about alignments and tire pressures. The PSC2s have a wear rating of 180, IIRC, so mileage should be considerably better than the PSC1s.

With the wet weather, standing water caveats that have been offered by others, there is no better DOT-approved street/track tire available, including the R888s. This is not just my opinion. It is the opinion of Tire Rack and major manufacturers that offer the PSS as a standard tire and the PSC2 as an option (C7Z06, for example). The R888 is a good tire, but not in the class of the PSC1 or the PSC2. I drive my Supra at 75 mph for 10-minutes to heat them up nicely and they stick like no other. Pricey, but the best always is.

Ken.
Old 04-28-15, 03:03 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was going to give those a try since I have been track days but they dont come in the oem sizes. PSS for now but may move to RE11 for next round.
I'm not sure, but the RE11 might be phased out soon. Bridgestone just released the RE71R, which is supposedly much sticker/faster than the RE11/RE11A. The RE11 is a great tire especially if you use it mostly on the street, but it is usually a bit slower than its peers in the "Extreme Performance" category, and you give up the tread wear warranty compared to the PSS.
Old 04-29-15, 01:09 AM
Defratos
Racer

Someone told me once that the Michelin PSS are better than the PS2 and the PS2 are better than the PS3.

So PSS are the best ones to get. Can anyone confirm this and the reason behind it?
Old 04-29-15, 08:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^This guy posted this thread awhile ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-the-isf.html

Note: I DO NOT AGREE with his conclusions. Though I agree that the PSS is a very good tire. If it came in the sizes I use (245/35 and 285/30) I would have tried it. However, I am extremely happy with my Bridgestone Potenza S-04:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

This may also interest you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Lou
Old 04-29-15, 03:19 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Someone told me once that the Michelin PSS are better than the PS2 and the PS2 are better than the PS3.

So PSS are the best ones to get. Can anyone confirm this and the reason behind it?
For years, the Michelin PS2 was rated #1 by Tire Rack. For a very brief period of time, the PS2 was knocked off its #1 perch by the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position, but was, ultimately toppled by the PS2 in heads-up testing. The PS2 remained #1 until it was overtaken by its stable mate, the PSS.

The PSS has been rated #1 by Tire Rack ever since its introduction. GM conducted a tire competition for the CZ Corvette that was won by the PSS and Michelin sponsored a tire competition using IS-Fs (tests conducted by independent third party) and, again, PSS was the clear winner.

I place great weight in Tire Rack's tests because of the comprehensiveness of its testing, its subject matter expertise and the fact it has "no dog in the hunt". It carries virtually all brands at prices that are hard to beat even when shipping is taken into account. I used to have Michelin PS2s on one of by Supras before replacing them with the PSSs. I have the PS2s on my Celica Supra. It remains a great tire as shown by the Tire Rack results, especially impressive given the age of this tire.

While the PS2 has a 220 wear rating, which is quite good for the performance you get, the PSS has a wear rating of 300. It's like having your cake and eating too. Best yet, the PSSs are cheaper than the PS2s. I am sure the PS3s are a good tire, but are not cut from the same cloth as the PS2s and the PSSs.

Ken.