IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Instrument Cluster Glass tampered

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 07:12 AM
s2kmr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Glass tampered

So last week I had a flat tire, bought the car to the dealer for tire replacement and fix the bended rims. When I pickup the car I see the cluster glass is VERY VERY dirty, I tried to clean it but it was not coming off, then I realized is not outside that is dirty is the inside?? I call the dealer and bought the car back to them, first thing from them is we didn't work on your cluster, there is no paperwork you will need to come back and speak to your service consultant. Stopped by the dealer yesterday and their master mechanic tell me that outside of the glass is dirty not inside, I finally proved them wrong, and long story short they finally admitted is from the inside.

Question I have and dealer won't answer is the instrument glass is removable? or the cluster is one pc assembly? I want to say is removable, anyone?
BTW, I have make requested for video surveillance footage, and ready to call my lawyer.

Ben
Old 03-11-14, 07:28 AM
J2K
Pole Position

It's easily removable.

This video will help with the cluster removal. Once it's out, the rest of the disassembly is fairly self explanatory.

Last edited by J2K; 03-11-14 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 07:36 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmr
So last week I had a flat tire, bought the car to the dealer for tire replacement and fix the bended rims. When I pickup the car I see the cluster glass is VERY VERY dirty, I tried to clean it but it was not coming off, then I realized is not outside that is dirty is the inside?? I call the dealer and bought the car back to them, first thing from them is we didn't work on your cluster, there is no paperwork you will need to come back and speak to your service consultant. Stopped by the dealer yesterday and their master mechanic tell me that outside of the glass is dirty not inside, I finally proved them wrong, and long story short they finally admitted is from the inside.

Question I have and dealer won't answer is the instrument glass is removable? or the cluster is one pc assembly? I want to say is removable, anyone?
BTW, I have make requested for video surveillance footage, and ready to call my lawyer.

Ben

It is easily removable to be cleaned, and can also be replaced (the cover is sold as a single piece) and a very small cost.

It will take about 15-20 minutes to remove the cluster and pull the cover for cleaning and or replacement.

The cover is very well sealed on the gauge cluster, and difficult to have any type of airborne particulate enter its air space...seems weird to not have noticed this prior and all of a sudden have an issue?

Part Number 83852-53820

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 03-11-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 08:10 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I think the bigger question is why (not how) they removed it in the first place?
Old 03-11-14, 10:35 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why I am getting really tired of dealerships lately. I had a similar experience where I went in for my 30k services. I leave and the brakes are acting very weird, making noises and vibrating. Someone backed out the top pins on both of the front calipers. I brought it to my service advisors attention and immediately, "We didn't touch your brakes, we just bled the brakes..." She said it had to be the person who installed my brake pads that made the mistake. REALLY? Because the brakes were just fine when I came in, the pins don't just back out! It really, really irritates me. So if the mechanic didn't put "backed out caliper pins" on the paperwork that means it didn't really happen?

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. It just reminded me of my incident.

Last edited by PatrickISF; 03-11-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 10:51 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I think the bigger question is why (not how) they removed it in the first place?
There is only three reasonable causes to this mystery....

OP did not notice it was bad to begin with?

There was some serious body work being performed that caused minute particles of dust to magically enter only the speedo gauge pod. and not coat the rest of the car's interior?

They maliciously removed it, pulled the cover off and exposed it to the air, and then reinstalled it?

..all the while repairing just a bent rim and tire?

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 03-11-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 03:47 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you post some pics of the dirty glass - how long did you leave your car at the dealership? If it was an extended period of time maybe they pulled the glass off your car to use on another car because they had an upset customer that was waiting a long amount of time for replacement cluster glass to arrive. Maybe they later re-installed different glass when the parts for the other car arrived and got it dirty in the process???

Sounds like a conspiracy, but obviously something happened
Old 03-11-14, 09:51 PM
s2kmr
Rookie

Instrument Cluster Glass tampered-forumrunner_20140312_004958.png

Instrument Cluster Glass tampered-forumrunner_20140312_004930.png

Instrument Cluster Glass tampered-forumrunner_20140312_004819.png

Car was in the dealer for about 1week.
Old 03-11-14, 10:02 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Looks like someone mess with the glass. Its impossible for you not to notice that before you turn in the car to the dealer.
Old 03-11-14, 11:15 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that look so bad i would have them change the glass
Old 03-11-14, 11:24 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm standing by my assumption
Old 03-12-14, 11:34 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd lose my lid, I wouldn't be able to stay cool, no way.
Old 03-12-14, 12:42 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thats not cool. id like to know how it got in there. its pretty tight.
its only like 20 bucks for a new one anyways
Old 03-12-14, 01:05 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Name:  TGNiG0o.gif
Views: 52
Size:  1.82 MB
Old 03-12-14, 02:35 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
can you post some pics of the dirty glass - how long did you leave your car at the dealership? If it was an extended period of time maybe they pulled the glass off your car to use on another car because they had an upset customer that was waiting a long amount of time for replacement cluster glass to arrive. Maybe they later re-installed different glass when the parts for the other car arrived and got it dirty in the process???

Sounds like a conspiracy, but obviously something happened
i second that assumption. ive definitely seen it done before

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Glass tampered