IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Royal Purple oil - any pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 10:24 PM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Well then let's start a class-action lawsuit b/c they claim added hp and torque. Lawsuit is obviously a joke, but they really do claim more hp and torque. I thought it sounded odd.
Oil really doesn't add horsepower. You can't sue them because they showed a documented case of an oil change on a dyno showing an improvement of 0.7 HP if i remember correctly. This amount of HP increase could be attributed to a slight change in weather conditions, density altitude, or even slight variations of the dyno. Oil is oil. Its sole purpose is to lubricate and reduce frictions. It can potentially decrease friction greatly enough to increase HP but not any significant means.
Old 03-06-14, 10:29 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Royal Puple is an outstanding oil. Better than Mobil 1.
HPS version is even better.
Highly recommended by tuners and racers.

I currently use Royal Purple HPS with K&N filter.
Old 03-06-14, 10:42 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
i'm no oil expert, but from the brief times i've spent on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) site, royal purple is a great oil but not worth the price premium over other synthetics like M1.
Originally Posted by edgeucated
This is the best response. Oil purple might be very marginally better than the normal synthetic, but there is a huge price jump.
these 2 were basically the best responses thus far

Originally Posted by Rossi
Royal Puple is an outstanding oil. Better than Mobil 1.
HPS version is even better.
Highly recommended by tuners and racers.

I currently use Royal Purple HPS with K&N filter.
this one sounds like a commercial. every oil company claims theirs is "better" and "highly recommended"
Old 03-06-14, 10:43 PM
PIONEER
Driver

Originally Posted by Nate008
I have my friend do it so I will have to ask him about the burnoff but I doubt it's anything significant seeing as he's a wayyyyy better car builder than I will ever be and he hasn't said anything was out of the ordinary yet.

I also use a K&N oil filter. I don't do the 5K mileage thing because I only average around 600-700 miles or so a month so 5K miles for me would seem like forever haha. I have him change it every 4-5 months. Prob a waste of money since my car doesn't get that many miles and use but I do it anyways lol
So I'm thinking you are going 2500-3000 between changes. Mobil1 would do you just fine for that time unless you want to pay the premium on Amsoil or Royal purple.
Old 03-07-14, 05:49 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i'm no oil expert, but from the brief times i've spent on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) site, royal purple is a great oil but not worth the price premium over other synthetics like M1.
Originally Posted by edgeucated
This is the best response. Oil purple might be very marginally better than the normal synthetic, but there is a huge price jump.

With that being said, I use royal purple in my car
Originally Posted by jdmSW20
these 2 were basically the best responses thus far
Which M1 oil are you referring to (?) b/c there are multiple M1 full synthetic options. One option (high mileage) is the same price as RP. The cheapest M1 (the regular full synthetic) is only $0.80 cheaper per quart.

I'm really conflicted on this now b/c it sounds like FS is not necessary for the ISF plus there appears to be no major differences b/t the oil choices.
Old 03-07-14, 08:53 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Which M1 oil are you referring to (?) b/c there are multiple M1 full synthetic options. One option (high mileage) is the same price as RP. The cheapest M1 (the regular full synthetic) is only $0.80 cheaper per quart.

I'm really conflicted on this now b/c it sounds like FS is not necessary for the ISF plus there appears to be no major differences b/t the oil choices.
if you look at the 5-quart jugs, M1 syn and M1 EP both sell for about $25 each at wal-mart. RP 5-quart jugs sell for about $38 currently. that's about a 50% premium.
Old 03-07-14, 10:53 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

if you look at the 5-quart jugs, M1 syn and M1 EP both sell for about $25 each at wal-mart. RP 5-quart jugs sell for about $38 currently. that's about a 50% premium.
well now that's interesting b/c I was price shopping different auto part stores yesterday, and the prices for both were way above what you just posted.

M1 EP goes for $40 everywhere, and O'Reilly was the only one carrying RP. They are charging $46.

Looks like I need to check out Wal-Mart before getting this done.
Old 03-07-14, 11:09 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Holy crap, bro, thanks for the tip!! Just checked Wal-Mart online, and yeah, $25 compared to $38-40!!
Old 03-07-14, 03:00 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

Mobil 1 synthetic works fine with me and its a known and trusted brand. I am sure RP is a great product but at the cost i will pass.
Old 03-07-14, 05:47 PM
yishin
Driver

one of my local service guy told me that the RP oil itself is good oil and it is specially good with american motors but not the JDM... idk why... but he recommend me with AMS all the day ...
Old 03-07-14, 06:51 PM
FSportJoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil

Yep....Caveman is dead-on....I was in Wal-Mart a few hours ago looking at M1 and it was $25.17 for a 5Q jug! If you are one of those people that don't want to be seen in Wal-Mart....Autozone website has a $10 off coupon for 5-single quarts OR a 5Q jug. You can print the coupon from the website....it's valid until Monday, 3/10 so hurry!

FSportJoe
Attached Thumbnails Royal Purple oil - any pros/cons?-m2980017_mobil1-coupon-march2014.jpg  
Old 03-07-14, 07:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Where I live walmart carries the royal pure stuff as well. Why is it better than Mobil 1? Curious because I always see car guys using it on their high powered cars. I've always gone with Mobil 1. Would love to use the best . Let me know what you guys think
Old 03-07-14, 08:35 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Does a new oil filter gasket come with the filter?
Old 03-07-14, 08:44 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mydogbella
Does a new oil filter gasket come with the filter?
it does if you buy the OEM one from the dealership.
Old 03-07-14, 09:11 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil - any pros/cons?