Brake Caliper Removal for Powdercoating Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 09:26 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Removal for Powdercoating Clarification

Hi guys.

I wanted to compile a checklist for materials in regards to removing/reinstalling brake calipers. I have searched, and have a good understanding of the procedure, but want to ensure a 100% job when I DIY.

Can anyone chime in on everything that is required to remove brake calipers, have them independently overdecorated, and then reinstalled.

Thank you
Old 02-22-14, 10:39 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

FYI Brembo recommends not to powder coat there calipers you can have remove and spray paint calipers with appropriate high heat paint, you can buy heat spray paint such VHT one of best company out there and do them up or use high heat epoxy base paint like G2 caliper kit, but do not powder coat them. You can either remove calipers or leave them on if you paint them yourself, but if you leave them on make sure to properly mask everything off using painters tape and plenty of paper you don't want any over spray getting over unwanted areas.
Old 02-22-14, 11:01 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also wondering about this. I saw zapa's caliper job and want to know how you can paint calipers custom colors. Kinda want to do a fun diy
Old 02-22-14, 01:53 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

I am thinking about doing this also...just a bit nervous.
Old 02-22-14, 07:56 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I know about Brembo's recommendation. I also know many who have powder coated brembo brakes without further complications!

I am still unsure about the removal/resinstallation process and materials list.
Old 02-22-14, 11:32 PM
G9N
Driver

The reason why Brembo recommends against powder coat is because it acts as a heat insulator. If you car is mainly and DD and never really sees any track time, then powder coating is the best way to go. If you plan on tracking your car, then painting is the way to go.
Old 02-23-14, 06:37 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by G9N
The reason why Brembo recommends against powder coat is because it acts as a heat insulator. If you car is mainly and DD and never really sees any track time, then powder coating is the best way to go. If you plan on tracking your car, then painting is the way to go.
Thank you for this clarification. now of I can just figure out how to get custom colors :/
Old 02-23-14, 06:39 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I had mine professionally high temp painted. The shop that did them said they fully disassemble and powdercoat any and all brembo calipers on a weekly basis. Baking them at 400 degrees is of no danger, its the powder agent / heat insulator affect as mentioned above. Still, they laughed when I said how everyone is afraid to do anything advised against by Toyota (myself included in this case).

Disassembly of the calipers is simple - remove all bolts, pins, shims, pads and bleeder. Pop the piston seals out, remove pistons. Each piston has an INNER seal that must be removed and replaced as well. Sewell does not sell the inner seals...you will need to locate them thru Brembo which should be fun.

This is the prof. paint/clear I had done which only required the OUTER seals to be replaced. Pistons were not removed, just outter seals:

Old 02-23-14, 06:45 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I had mine professionally high temp painted. The shop that did them said they fully disassemble and powdercoat any and all brembo calipers on a weekly basis. Baking them at 400 degrees is of no danger, its the powder agent / heat insulator affect as mentioned above. Still, they laughed when I said how everyone is afraid to do anything advised against by Toyota (myself included in this case).

Disassembly of the calipers is simple - remove all bolts, pins, shims, pads and bleeder. Pop the piston seals out, remove pistons. Each piston has an INNER seal that must be removed and replaced as well. Sewell does not sell the inner seals...you will need to locate them thru Brembo which should be fun.

This is the prof. paint/clear I had done which only required the OUTER seals to be replaced. Pistons were not removed, just outter seals:

This looks AMAZING! How much did this cost? that is pretty much the color I wanted. Two things though :

1. Can you do this yourself?
and
2. Can you do this without removing the brakes? it is just more stuff to break lol

Thanks
Old 02-23-14, 06:49 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFalex
This looks AMAZING! How much did this cost? that is pretty much the color I wanted. Two things though :

1. Can you do this yourself?
and
2. Can you do this without removing the brakes? it is just more stuff to break lol

Thanks
Thanks. I had them off the car since I'm upgrading to a bigger brake setup and they have been sold. But yes, to have them professionally done and completely painted I would rec. removing them from the car. Its a matter of what youre comfortable with and your skill set. You can have a decent job done with a good mask on the car but its just as much work and will cost more $ for labor in the end. The above was $200 bringing the calipers in off the vehicle.

Ugly pic but the color is similar-
Old 02-23-14, 07:09 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Thanks. I had them off the car since I'm upgrading to a bigger brake setup and they have been sold. But yes, to have them professionally done and completely painted I would rec. removing them from the car. Its a matter of what youre comfortable with and your skill set. You can have a decent job done with a good mask on the car but its just as much work and will cost more $ for labor in the end. The above was $200 bringing the calipers in off the vehicle.

Ugly pic but the color is similar-
OK. thanks for that I'm gonna look into it.
Old 02-23-14, 12:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The service manual doesn't say don't powdercoat. It says never remove the pistons from the calipers. Replacing the seals is no big deal at all. As noted above, there are no pistons or internal seals available from Lexus/Toyota, so you are on your own if you scratch a piston or a bore, or if you damage one of the internal seals. The M6 caliper is available on Mercedes, but the Mercedes caliper uses different piston sizes, so the parts (if even available separately) from the Mercedes implementation will not fit.

If anything goes wrong, you get to buy a new caliper. That's the real downside to all of this.
Old 02-24-14, 07:54 AM
ISFalex
Driver

I think it would be a very good idea to make a DIY for this. I will try to make one myself, but I'll need some time Anyone else made one for painting calipers? If so, please post !
Old 02-25-14, 06:11 AM
G9N
Driver

You should be able to paint or powder coat without fully disassembling the caliper. Calipers can see up to 900 degree temps during severe high speed braking so a 400 degree powder coat bake should cause no damage at all. You would just need to remove the outer seal and then use high temp tape, which is sold through most powder coat companies, to tape over the outer seat and piston.
Old 02-26-14, 02:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

If your caliper gets to 900F, your brake fluid will be boiling pretty badly. The best brake fluids boil at just over 600F. I don't disagree about 400F being pretty easy for the caliper to handle, but you really don't ever want the caliper over 500F in service or you're flirting with trouble.