IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

help and knowledge please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 09:28 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default help and knowledge please...

I'm cross shopping an lexus isf and an audi s5 both are going to be high mileage and in the 25k to 30 range . I'm really set on the F but there's a good deal on an audi . Just need I guess little input from really good people here in this forum I always reading everything all posts and threads . Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-17-14, 09:31 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you consider really high mileage?
Old 01-17-14, 09:46 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
I'm cross shopping an lexus isf and an audi s5 both are going to be high mileage and in the 25k to 30 range . I'm really set on the F but there's a good deal on an audi . Just need I guess little input from really good people here in this forum I always reading everything all posts and threads . Any input would be greatly appreciated
high mileage would be 85k to 120k seen lexus dealers in the 24000 to 28000 range clean title
Old 01-17-14, 10:31 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

ISF is in a higher performance bracket. It is more comparable to RS4 or RS5 model not S5.
In any case, if you are looking for higher mileage car, you must stay away from Audi or BMW.
Maintenance costs for these Germans is outrageous......and you will pay as they are not reliable.

ISF is very reliable, some say bulletproof. Except for tires, reasonable $$$ to maintain.
Old 01-17-14, 11:13 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^Couldn't agree more. The S5, while gorgeous in design, isn't in the same performance class as the IS F. Audi's coupe looks simply cannot be beat, but their performance specs IMO just don't measure up. Two versus four doors will be a concern to address. The S5 does have a similar gas economy compared to the F, and there are more modding opportunities with it as well. Also, if you need the AWD, the Audi is the one to choose between the two. But with the F, there haven't been too many issues that one would need to worry about. It comes down to personal preference.
Old 01-17-14, 11:27 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
^Couldn't agree more. The S5, while gorgeous in design, isn't in the same performance class as the IS F. Audi's coupe looks simply cannot be beat, but their performance specs IMO just don't measure up. Two versus four doors will be a concern to address. The S5 does have a similar gas economy compared to the F, and there are more modding opportunities with it as well. Also, if you need the AWD, the Audi is the one to choose between the two. But with the F, there haven't been too many issues that one would need to worry about. It comes down to personal preference.
Thanks for input so far ... posted same question on a audi forum been two days no answer or replies. I'm leaning heavily towards the F since it's been a goal of mine to get for about two years just wwaiting anxiously for right one and at price range
Old 01-17-14, 11:32 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

I live in the Inland Empire so no AWD needed just nice windy roads like reche canyon and lots of open roads like 74 Ortega hwy lol
Old 01-18-14, 04:42 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I still see that you're looking for an IS F!

Since you're getting a higher mileage car, you really should look at the IS F. I've had one issue with mine, but it seems to be an isolated case. I have 118,000 miles on my car, 31,000 since the transmission replacement, and it runs like a champ.
Old 01-18-14, 05:56 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

yeh, awd is good but F on another level performance wise. plus if you are going high mileage the lex is the way to go. not to mention i seen about 4 s5's just this week alone, def a beauty, but a common beauty.
Old 01-18-14, 06:21 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I too considered Audi, BMW and Merc....until I browsed their forums and read about the nightmare reliability issues and high maintenance cost many were experiencing. I love the design of the S5' but I believe the ISF is a better performer and far more realiable.
Old 01-18-14, 09:37 AM
Looxs
Driver School Candidate

Before purchasing my isf I also considered getting a s5 since I live in minnesota and the winters here are pretty rough. After test driving a s5 it just didn't impress me. It's more of a GT car than a sports coupe in my opinion. Additionally, like what the guys above me said, if you looking at higher mileage cars as well, it's hard not to choose lexus for it's known reliability. It may be tempting especially if you're getting a better deal on the s5 but remember if you're dropping that much money on a car, at least make sure it makes you smile every time you start it up. Test drive both and best of luck!
Old 01-18-14, 12:28 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with high mileage ISF no question..... S5 isn't even in the same league.... not to mention it isn't as reliable as Lexus. RS5.....different story. But those are going for a minimum of $60K used.
Old 01-18-14, 01:20 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Go with high mileage ISF no question..... S5 isn't even in the same league.... not to mention it isn't as reliable as Lexus. RS5.....different story. But those are going for a minimum of $60K used.
Thanks for the replies this is by far the most helpful and in formative forum I've been on. Hopefully next post would be of my IS-F this year crossing fingers
Old 01-18-14, 02:46 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
ISF is in a higher performance bracket. It is more comparable to RS4 or RS5 model not S5.
In any case, if you are looking for higher mileage car, you must stay away from Audi or BMW.
Maintenance costs for these Germans is outrageous......and you will pay as they are not reliable.

ISF is very reliable, some say bulletproof. Except for tires, reasonable $$$ to maintain.

That about sums it up.
Old 01-19-14, 11:21 AM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vervish
I too considered Audi, BMW and Merc....until I browsed their forums and read about the nightmare reliability issues and high maintenance cost many were experiencing. I love the design of the S5' but I believe the ISF is a better performer and far more realiable.
I felt the same way, but all turned out well for me. Back in 2011, I decided to jump in head first and order my Audi from my local dealership. Nearly three years later, the car hasn't been back to the dealer a single time....no problems whatsoever. I change the oil & oil filter myself every 5000 miles and the car has needed nothing else.

The car is a 6-speed manual and has a K04 turbo upgrade w/tune & AWE dual exhaust system. It will outrun a V8 S5 and still top 30 mpg on the highway. For me, it's the perfect blend of style and performance.

Quick Reply: help and knowledge please...