IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have this problem? (low coolant, overheating)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 01:42 AM
HellaInc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this problem? (low coolant, overheating)

While driving my car today for about 20 minutes at a stop light I look down and noticed my engine temperature all the way maxed out bars and blinking. I immediately pull over and left the engine on and pop my hood, no thick smoke or anything coming out and I ran back inside to check and the temperature went right back down to normal. It continues raising and dropping back to the middle every once in awhile. I notice my radiator fan comes on when it shouldn't be because I don't have the AC on or anything. My heater also doesn't work it only works when I'm idle at a stop and it blows cool air once I start driving. What could be the problem? A bad thermostat or failing water pump?
Old 01-04-14, 03:59 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HellaInc
While driving my car today for about 20 minutes at a stop light I look down and noticed my engine temperature all the way maxed out bars and blinking. I immediately pull over and left the engine on and pop my hood, no thick smoke or anything coming out and I ran back inside to check and the temperature went right back down to normal. It continues raising and dropping back to the middle every once in awhile. I notice my radiator fan comes on when it shouldn't be because I don't have the AC on or anything. My heater also doesn't work it only works when I'm idle at a stop and it blows cool air once I start driving. What could be the problem? A bad thermostat or failing water pump?
You didn't mention whether you checked your anti-freeze, I assume you did
Old 01-04-14, 05:05 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a very similar problem years ago with another car, and it was the heater core. That car was over 10 years old though. Never heard of that happening on an ISF.
Old 01-04-14, 05:25 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

probably low coolant due to leaking waterpump.
Old 01-04-14, 06:44 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be anything from a slow leak in the radiator to the water pump to the thermostat to the coolant temp sensor, etc. I'd bet on a leaky slowly dying water pump though.. Check for hardened pink coolant formation around your engine where the WP could be leaking.

I've had each of the above components fail at some point or another on my 2jzgte and other toyotas.
Old 01-04-14, 10:09 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Get that car to the dealer

Seriously, running that car with the engine temperature that high is very bad. It will not fix itself.

Those things have happened to me before.

Check coolant level by removing the radiator cap when it is cold.
Check the overflow tank. If the contents show normal, still check the radiator.
Thermostat could be "not opening" as required.
Heater not working suggests it is not getting coolant.

For some reason you have low coolant. This is the reason you have a warranty.

Old 01-04-14, 10:17 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HellaInc
The engine is VERY low on coolant, DO NOT DRIVE! Until you have addressed the low coolant issue. ONLY check coolant with engine cold. DO NOT remove cap when the engine warm or hot. Once you have addressed the low coolant level have the dealer address the coolant leak.
Old 01-04-14, 10:48 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its definitely low coolant.
Old 01-04-14, 11:04 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Get some ASAP...!!!

~ Joe Z
Old 01-04-14, 11:44 AM
HellaInc
Rookie

I am bringing in the car to see what's wrong today. I did drive for a little more yesterday after the engine temperatures started staying stable. I do notice that my radiator fan is on the whole time I am driving though. Hopefully nothing too bad.
Old 01-04-14, 12:20 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how everyone said check the radiator fluid ………..and you haven't smh
Old 01-04-14, 02:27 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I like how everyone said check the radiator fluid ………..and you haven't smh
It takes far to much time to pop the hood and check the level…
Old 01-04-14, 04:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
The engine is VERY low on coolant, DO NOT DRIVE! Until you have addressed the low coolant issue. ONLY check coolant with engine cold. DO NOT remove cap when the engine warm or hot. Once you have addressed the low coolant level have the dealer address the coolant leak.
^^This. Driving the car with low coolant is one of the worst things you can do to the engine. If nothing else, put coolant (or distilled water) in the coolant tank until you can get it to the dealer for repair.
Old 01-14-14, 11:05 AM
HellaInc
Rookie

UPDATE: I did fill up the coolant to full until I was able to bring it in to the dealership. Service advisor called today and said they found where the leak was and it was leaking into the intake manifold valley which is why I couldn't spot any residue around when I was looking. Pretty suprised this happened on a 2012. I'm at 40k on the clock right now.
Old 01-14-14, 11:18 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the cost to fix that leak out of warranty (yes, I know you're still under warranty, I'm asking for us that aren't)? Just wondering

Quick Reply: Anyone have this problem? (low coolant, overheating)