IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)

Old 01-02-14, 11:53 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by twoputtpar
LOL. You guys crack me up.

FREE FREE FREE!
So you're condoning the guy's actions and saying the dealership should not have to pay for what its employee did?? That's not exactly a quality first-time post.
Old 01-02-14, 11:58 AM
twoputtpar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
So you're condoning the guy's actions
I never said that.

Originally Posted by melbitoast
and saying the dealership should not have to pay for what its employee did??
Nope, didn't say that either.

Does he deserve something in return for the guys actions? Sure, a couple of free oil changes/tire rotations or details sound fitting.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-02-14 at 12:01 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary insult
Old 01-02-14, 12:10 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Like i said guys - Its not really my thing to demand thousands of dollars of compensation - or demand someone lose there job. Its easy to get worked up about someone abusing your car - it very easily could have been a video of him wrecking the car or worse. I'm sure everyone involved is glad it isnt either.

I think the compensation is fair - they arent out a bunch of money and I'm not a jerk about shaming them online - It just doesnt pay to be a 'that guy' and I'm sure the dealership appreciates it too.

-Andrew
Old 01-02-14, 12:13 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

What I don;t get tho is why he took the car for a test drive. Those recalls don;t require a test drive and if the reason was to fill up gas is bs. I know Lexus has gas station on site. It's stupid to have them put mileage on my car just for few gallons of gas.
Old 01-02-14, 12:17 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never said that.

Nope, didn't say that either.

Does he deserve something in return for the guys actions? Sure, a couple of free oil changes/tire rotations or details sound fitting.
Sure, please give me the key to your car! I will even throw in a full tank of has after i took it out for a ncie spirit drive
To the OP- i am glad you got it resolved and the most important thing is that you felt it was justly handle.
Old 01-02-14, 12:18 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Sorry, but the ISF is my baby. Somebody abuses her, it's on. You would get a similar reaction if someone violated one of my family members. When I drop off my car (rare, try to do most stuff on my own) I'm trusting you to take care of it.
Old 01-02-14, 12:19 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
They were very quick to address it - I had several calls with management this morning.
Sounds like the dealership did the right thing by you. I am impressed with your calmness over the whole affair.
Old 01-02-14, 12:44 PM
twoputtpar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Sure, please give me the key to your car! I will even throw in a full tank of has after i took it out for a ncie spirit drive
To the OP- i am glad you got it resolved and the most important thing is that you felt it was justly handle.
Sure, here's the keys.

That being said, I didn't say what he did was ok. But if that had happened with one of my vehicles from a dealership I would have done the same thing the OP did. I wouldn't have expected much other than the kid getting disciplined. The video they have now and the dealership showing it to their employees will serve them pretty well.
Old 01-02-14, 01:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

To all who think you can just install a dashcam and not have any concerns, I would HIGHLY suggest you check your state laws before you unwittingly commit a felony.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide
Old 01-02-14, 02:21 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Going to look into getting one installed also.
Old 01-02-14, 03:16 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you handled the situation well, but I still believe that in good faith they should give you the extended platinum warranty for free as a courtesy... not just at a discount.
Old 01-02-14, 06:16 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
To all who think you can just install a dashcam and not have any concerns, I would HIGHLY suggest you check your state laws before you unwittingly commit a felony.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide
In Pennsylvania you can record video in public with NO CONSENT, as there is no expiration to privacy in a public place. However you can NOT record audio inside the vehicle without verbal consent.
Old 01-02-14, 06:49 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I usually have this chat with the dealership (when I do actually end up going there, if ever....) about any kind of "ideas" their personal has about taking my car for a drive.

I hope they are going to make it up to you in some way.
Old 01-02-14, 06:54 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Sorry, but the ISF is my baby. Somebody abuses her, it's on. You would get a similar reaction if someone violated one of my family members. When I drop off my car (rare, try to do most stuff on my own) I'm trusting you to take care of it.
Couldn't say it better myself.

I waited 6 years for this car, and paid $67,000 for it. I will NOT have it trashed by some wanna be Saturday oil changer.....

In fact, I don't even let the dealership touch my car after what they did when fixing a flat tire.

Luckily an exotic wheel repair shop can mount my tires and I have a specialty Lexus shop that takes care of the maintenance.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes the dealership can provide a lot of help, like when they found the rattling noise near my driver door and fixed it, but not all dealership service departments are created equal.
Old 01-02-14, 08:04 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

You quoted all of us that mentioned he should get something in return for their poor behavior as if you were making fun of the fact we even suggested it, and then you go on to say he deserves something. That's confusing.

Anyway, thousands of dollars or lifetime warranties for free is clearly not justified, but yes a few free oil changes and/or other work is appropriate. I don't think a simple apology squares the issue. There has to be some sort of deterrent for this behavior. Suspension without pay also seems fair. I think both sides have handled this well.

And to lobux's point, yes, some states are one way consent and some are two party consent states when it comes to recording them. Though the chances of getting prosecuted for a felony in a dash cam setup such as the one OP has is very, very remote, it'd be good to at least know the law.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)