IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 08:03 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

did they do anything for you?
Old 01-02-14, 08:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the update about speaking with management. We are all waiting for the update on what management has agreed to do for you as compensation/good will.
Old 01-02-14, 08:15 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more disgusted by the hacking and coughing.
Old 01-02-14, 08:40 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

glad to hear they did not just blow you off.
Old 01-02-14, 08:47 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
Mine is a Lukas 7900 (1080p with gps). Its a fairly small camera - I have it hidden behind the rearview - its viewable from the front of the car but you can't see it if you are driving. The cam has a both driving and parking modes (will record while the car is off too - storing 30 second events - motion and gforce). Its pretty slick and obviously captures this kind of stuff as well as clears up and stories during traffic incidents.

- Andrew
Glad the dealer realized the potential damage this could have caused to their business. Hope you get something good out of this pain.

Question, on your dashcam, where are you tapping the power? Are you routing a wire all the way down the A pillar, or are you tapping it into the rear view mirror?
Old 01-02-14, 08:57 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Never, ever trust someone to take care of your property the way you would. It won't happen.

True statement.
Old 01-02-14, 09:16 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by jbjones85
glad to hear they did not just blow you off.
They were very quick to address it - I had several calls with management this morning. I didn’t demand anything from them (that’s not really my thing), and I don’t think any damage was done to my car (more just upset in how they chose to handle my property). They did want to right the wrong though and will be detailing my car and will offer me an extended warranty (which I was already looking at with them) at a discounted price. The porter was suspended (not fired) which I'm happy with - I didn't demand anyone lose their job and I don't think it warranted that. Hopefully it’s a wakeup call for him though, customers are increasingly watching and they expect professional behavior - regardless of the car (or manufacture).

They didn’t ask me to take down the videos but I felt they addressed the issue in a professional manor and I don’t want any negative attention given how they responded. I'm glad it isn’t one of those horror stories you hear about from other dealerships and I wouldn't hesitate to bring my car in there again. That being said I’m sure they'll be more considerate with my car (and hopefully others as well).

I'd encourage everyone to consider a dash cam - video has a way of keeping people honest.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 01-02-14, 09:23 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I know a remedy for this situation--to decrease the chances of someone mistreating your car when at the dealer or anywhere.
Install a dash-cam in plain view (eg. Right on the dash). This would prevent anything to happen in the first place. Not to mention, the camera would still record any neglectful activity (assuming the driver doesn't notice the camera or if he/she is just a moron).
However, you probably won't get free stuff with this method, albeit you are granted peace of mind.
Old 01-02-14, 09:35 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I know a remedy for this situation--to decrease the chances of someone mistreating your car when at the dealer or anywhere.
Install a dash-cam in plain view (eg. Right on the dash). This would prevent anything to happen in the first place. Not to mention, the camera would still record any neglectful activity (assuming the driver doesn't notice the camera or if he/she is just a moron).
However, you probably won't get free stuff with this method, albeit you are granted peace of mind.
True, I'd prefer not to have this kind of situation either way. The camera audibly anounces when you start driving "Driving mode recording started" and you can hear it chime multiple times when gforce events occur - so even though you cant see it from the drivers seat its pretty obvious there's a cam in the car. It also has a blinking light to indicate movement and recording.

Maybe i'll leave a large printed note on the dash next time "Dashcam Installed - drive car professionally"

Either way - be careful when letting someone else drive your car.
Old 01-02-14, 09:39 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

awww man, i'm too late to see the vids. ok, now it's really time to get a dash cam for the wife and i.
Old 01-02-14, 09:44 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Power is tapped from the fusebox (using a a fuse tap), and routes down the A pillar - there's a little timer box that controls power to the camera. The cam takes 3-5 watts (not much) and records when the car is off (parking mode) and logs motion events. The timer cuts power after a set time (24/48 hrs or when the battery hits a certain voltage). I have mine set to record for 24 hours after the car is shut off - to prevent any draining of the battery.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by silverlexg; 01-02-14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 10:52 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Hmm.. Lexus is the LAST place I would have my car detailed.

Check with the Warranty rep that everyone on here recommends, oh whats his name, Jerry West out of Kansas or something. Make sure they at least beat his prices.

I'm not sure what I would expect, but probably free maintenance for life (oil changes, tire rotations, et cetera).
Old 01-02-14, 11:35 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OP - I think you handled this really, really well. Kudos to you.
Old 01-02-14, 11:45 AM
twoputtpar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hahahaf
let us know what u get for free
Originally Posted by StraySheep
I was just thinking if I caught the dealer doing this to my ISF, what kind of compensation should I get for their mistake.
Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Seriously, sorry that happened to you and I hope you get maintenance for life from the dealership.
Originally Posted by Raybean
i too would like to know what are you getting for free.
Originally Posted by vbb
Wow, crazy! They should definitely hook you up with something for goodwill.
Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks for the update about speaking with management. We are all waiting for the update on what management has agreed to do for you as compensation/good will.
Originally Posted by kzlflash
Hope you get something good out of this pain.
Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I'm not sure what I would expect, but probably free maintenance for life (oil changes, tire rotations, et cetera).
LOL. You guys crack me up.

FREE FREE FREE!
Old 01-02-14, 11:52 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
They were very quick to address it - I had several calls with management this morning. I didn’t demand anything from them (that’s not really my thing), and I don’t think any damage was done to my car (more just upset in how they chose to handle my property). They did want to right the wrong though and will be detailing my car and will offer me an extended warranty (which I was already looking at with them) at a discounted price. The porter was suspended (not fired) which I'm happy with - I didn't demand anyone lose their job and I don't think it warranted that. Hopefully it’s a wakeup call for him though, customers are increasingly watching and they expect professional behavior - regardless of the car (or manufacture).

They didn’t ask me to take down the videos but I felt they addressed the issue in a professional manor and I don’t want any negative attention given how they responded. I'm glad it isn’t one of those horror stories you hear about from other dealerships and I wouldn't hesitate to bring my car in there again. That being said I’m sure they'll be more considerate with my car (and hopefully others as well).

I'd encourage everyone to consider a dash cam - video has a way of keeping people honest.

Thanks,
Andrew
You're a nicer man than I am. Given the kind of damage that could have occurred and/or increased likelihood of something going bad sooner than later, I would have demanded bumper-to-bumper for free for as long as I owned the vehicle. The kind of PR nightmare that would come down on that dealership and the loss of business that would follow from you taking those vids to the press is exponentially more detrimental and valuable than a single, bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)