IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 IS-F Production Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 03:00 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2014 IS-F Production Wrap?

Greetings.. Long time lurker and potential IS-F noob here.

I plan to replace my '06 IS350 soon and the IS-F is a serious contender. I may consider a lightly used '12 or '13, but more than likely I'll go for a 2014. Does anyone know the approximate cut-off for production of the IS-F? If I can't find what I want in a lot, I'm willing to order one. Since I still haven't decided yet, I need to make sure I don't miss out on a new IS-F if that's what I decide on.

I have to say, I've only begun my research and this decision is already driving me crazy. Other cars that interest me are:

1. CLA45 AMG
2. RS3
3. ATS-V
4. 2015 Mustang
5. C63 AMG - probably out of my price range once some options are added
6. M3 - probably out of my price range once some options are added

Hell, I've even thought about keeping my IS as a DD/winter car and getting a C7 (Z51) as a fair weather toy.

Anyway, having driven the IS350 for nearly 8 years, I still think it's a great car. With way more power, a better transmission, and updated options, I think I could be perfectly happy in an IS-F for the next 7-8 years. Of course, there's the Lexus reliability factor too. Maintenance costs and potential reliability issues are concerns with most of the cars listed above.

-Mike
Old 12-27-13, 03:07 PM
zims350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe if you are comparing those vehicles on the list, only a couple of them are even comparable to the ISF, the CLA45 is a very noisy road noise, and a 4 cylinder in the end. The 2 that are comparable are the m3 and C63 but then again it depends how much you want for reliability and maintence and also resale value.
Old 12-27-13, 03:22 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I agree with you. Only a few of these are in the same class as the IS-F. The old saying "There's no replacement for displacement" may be a cliche, but I definitely feel better about a proven V8 over a brand new high strung 4 cylinder (like the CLA). Also, most of these cars are first year vehicles, which is a another concern for me.

-Mike
Old 12-27-13, 03:31 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The Vette would be faster by a large margin and is a "true" sports car....the F is best of both worlds.
Old 12-27-13, 07:31 PM
ScottNY
Driver School Candidate

My understanding was the 2014s are special order only - dealers will not stock them. There are probably some 2013s still left, there were 10 or so when I bought mine about 2 months ago. Big pain is Lexus dealers will not search out of their fairly small geography for you to find a 2013, you need to do it yourself using the web and this forum (which is how I found mine) and probably buy from far away. It's worth it though. I rented a C63 last week on a business trip and it reconfirmed my choice. I will also say I test drove a lightly used IS-F before I bought mine, and mine is way better - the transmission in the test car was messed up but I would never have know that if I'd just bought that one.
Old 12-27-13, 08:50 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cars.com <- has a few 2013 and 2014 brand new on there
Old 12-27-13, 08:59 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScottNY
My understanding was the 2014s are special order only - dealers will not stock them. There are probably some 2013s still left, there were 10 or so when I bought mine about 2 months ago. Big pain is Lexus dealers will not search out of their fairly small geography for you to find a 2013, you need to do it yourself using the web and this forum (which is how I found mine) and probably buy from far away. It's worth it though. I rented a C63 last week on a business trip and it reconfirmed my choice. I will also say I test drove a lightly used IS-F before I bought mine, and mine is way better - the transmission in the test car was messed up but I would never have know that if I'd just bought that one.
I'm surprised the transmission on a lightly used (or even not so lightly used) F would have any issues. Must be an anomaly…..
Old 12-28-13, 06:48 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info.. That sucks the dealers will not seek out a car for customers. I'll have to call the salesman that sold me my IS and see if he's willing to help. Though, if it's a brand new one, I guess traveling to purchase sight unseen is OK. I wouldn't want to do that with a pre-owned.

-Mike
Old 12-28-13, 09:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Sometime Summer of 2014 or maybe towards end of next year...

Special order now, you'll have it in 3-4 months..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 12-29-13, 12:10 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My understanding was the 2014s are special order only -.
They are around some showrooms, I saw one in Lexus of Serramonte. (CA)
Old 12-29-13, 12:13 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

From the list provided, I'd go either ISF (proven platform) or the C63.

As for the C63 AMG, I drove it multiple times and it has a GREAT engine to say the least. It is a very angry animal. LOL

You can also order it with a performance package and up the bhp to 481. (torque remains the same at 443)

The new Mustang looks great, but when it comes to the interior, it will not match the others.

Audi does not have a reliable reputation, I would not buy one. (my personal opinion)
Old 12-29-13, 12:26 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I won't rehash all of the reasons for why I think the ISF is the winner all around out of the list you've provided because I've made that argument a dozen or more times on here. But there's one consideration... Since you've had a 2IS for the last 8 years, maybe it does make sense to try something different entirely even though the ISF is a huge improvement over the IS350. Of your list, I'm most intrigued by the ATS-V. But unless you absolutely have to have 4 doors, I'd wait for the RC-F to come out. That way you can remain loyal to a brand you trust, and have something a little more different at the same time.

If you're pretty set on the ISF though, there's absolutely no problems with that, and you'll love the car! Might as well order one if you want something brand spanking new. A slightly used '13 will save you some dough though, and should be considered.
Old 12-29-13, 12:27 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
From the list provided, I'd go either ISF (proven platform) or the C63.

As for the C63 AMG, I drove it multiple times and it has a GREAT engine to say the least. It is a very angry animal. LOL

You can also order it with a performance package and up the bhp to 481. (torque remains the same at 443)
I see the new performance package for the C63 bumps it up to 507hp. Nice!
But that's a $10k option. Anything more than $65K would really be stretching my budget, especially if I don't get at least $13-14K for my IS350. That's why the IS-F is definitely the front runner.

-Mike
Old 12-29-13, 12:34 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The AMGs depreciate like crazy....I'm just sayin
Old 12-29-13, 09:19 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bother with the CLA45, look good on paper but I was at the track 2 weeks ago and I spanked him bad in the ISF. And it just looks weird.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS-F Production Wrap?