IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of a second car to add to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 07:45 PM
ScottNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 97 (?) NSX new used it as a commuter back then. Great road car, but it will feel slow compared to the ISF. The NSX handles beautifully, but is actually softer in transitions on a race track than you would expect. To track it you'd want to mod it. On the road, it's great, even in rain or snow. If I remember accurately it even rides better than the ISF. However, a truck almost hit me in the NSX and I thought, wow, I'm in a tiny aluminum shell. So, no longer a desired DD for me, but still a beautifully balanced manual transmission car for curvy roads. I use my ISF for DD duties and have a convertible for nice days.
Old 12-29-13, 12:06 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

How about a Toyota Tacoma V6 loaded? you'll have something with utility.......off-road, snow.........

I might go that route someday.
Old 12-29-13, 10:42 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My current daily driver is a '94 Integra coupe, I soon to replace it with an all around suv and I tend to get another coupe later down the road...

Choices so far for an SUV:
2013+ RAV4
2014 Forester

Choices for an added Sports Coupe:
97+ NSX
FR-S

I plan to get an SUV first, since I do a lot of road trips and then do my hunt on getting a nice fun sports car
Old 12-30-13, 03:21 PM
gshyu
Rookie

If I needed a fun daily driver, I'd get a 2010 Subaru STi and keep it stock.

I was on the verge of getting an STi, but then I fell into "badge prestige" and discovered that I could drive a BMW 335i instead. What a mistake that was. Couldn't tell you how many thousands of dollars were spent in the shop on the Bimmer's account...

305hp, AWD, manual transmission.. what's not to love?
Old 12-30-13, 04:38 PM
haydog
Driver

You all are making this very hard on me lol. I'm now trying to decided if i should get a SUV with 4x4 since we do see some snow and ice usually once or twice a year here in Arkansas. A Toyota Limited 4 runner looks tempting. But then again 90% of me wants to go with my instinct and build a nice car for the Texas Mile. I ran my ISF this year and had the time of my life. I have been looking at Z06's, 997,Camaro's, EVO's. IS300 with a 2jz swap, NSX's...and the list goes on and on. I have looked at many GTR's and I think it would be a great car to own. I do plan on owning one in the future. But at this point i would like to have a fun summer project building one of the cars i listed.. I would like to daily this car on and off switching between it and my F. Then take it to the texas mile once october comes back around.. Thanks for all of the input!
Old 12-30-13, 09:38 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus one on the truck or SUV option

I have a lifted tundra for bad weather, trips to the home improvement stores, sketchy parking locations etc. best purchase I have made. It makes driving the ISF that much better when you don't need to drive it everyday.

My car is always clean when I'm ready to take it out
Old 12-31-13, 03:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

F is DD and track duty. Weekend car is the Supra. I don't care what anyone says, manuals are dinosaurs with DCT and Lexus's paddle shift implementation. Way easier to drive fast, never miss a downshift, and can even shift in places you could never ever consider in a manual.

If I really wanted, I could make the Supra into a beast, but I pretty much like it the way it is. It feels about as fast as the F.
Old 01-02-14, 07:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gshyu
If I needed a fun daily driver, I'd get a 2010 Subaru STi and keep it stock.
Hopefully they fixed the oil pickup tube that sometimes cracked and caused a total engine failure.

YES, I am speaking from experience of replacing that part one day.
Old 01-03-14, 06:37 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For now I have to have something to pull the trailer so I'm keeping my 4runner around. I will say the difference in the build quality in that vs. my friend's Tacoma was quite noticeable after some miles. I have 130k and not a squeak in the truck. he had less than 30k with plastic making sounds... he sold it for a japan-built FJ cruiser. I'd have to recommned them over the Tacoma if you don't need the bed just because of the quality differences.

To be honest the wife's is350 is a great daily driver as well and the prices are coming down on them too. It is a lighter feeling car than the F, still fast (just not insane feeling) and dependable.

After driving a 2013 WRX a few months back I have to say that's a sweet ride for a daily driver. I wouldn't buy it for a track car just because I"m biased to RWD. From the suspension to the smoothness of that turbo, it's a great car. My friend was trying to sell me his EVO, the problem was I hated that car. brutally fast with massive amounts of turbo lag and a bouncy rear suspension but tight up front... nothing made sense to me with that ride.

Last edited by rmillsISF; 01-03-14 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 11:48 AM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have a IS-F and a NSX, love both. The NSX is reliable but keep in mind maintenance is pretty expensive, after I bought it I spent over $6k on servicing for the T/B, WP, coolant hoses, clutch + misc items (I have an early one so its over 20 years old).

They're different types of cars but compliment each other nicely, look into a s2k as well. I used to own one and it makes a better daily since the NSX is not the easiest car for ingress/egress. The s2k handles better than the NSX as well.