Bumpy ride when steering wheel turned all the way - 2008 IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 01:46 PM
hodor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bumpy ride when steering wheel turned all the way - 2008 IS F

Hi Guys:

My first post here. Been looking for a used IS F for a while now and finally ended up getting one this weekend (2008 IS F with 12,000 miles). The owner took meticulous care of the car and you can tell when you first look at it (it looks brand new).

I test drove it and it felt good. Had it checked out at a local Lexus dealer and everything checked out there as well.

One thing I noticed this today was while making a u-turn (in either direction) and turning the steering wheel to a locked position (i.e. turning the steering wheel until I can't turn the steering wheel any further), the front end of the car seems to feel like the wheels become lopsided and causes an unusual bumpy ride (even though the road is flat).

I asked the previous owner about this and he stated this is due to the "slippage" because of the width of the tires. He also stated that the car did that the first day he pulled it off the lot and that all high performance tires that are that wide will slip a little when you turn the wheel that hard because of the camber and amount of rubber on the road surface. He goes on to say that the tires are designed to have maximum surface area in contact with the road at all times and that becomes very difficult when the wheel is turned hard because of the width and toe adjustment. When the wheel is turned that much, you are essentially dragging (or pushing), a massive amount of rubber at a very harsh angle, causing a bumpy ride.

I test drove a 2011 Lexus IS F and remember making a U-turn and not feeling anything bumpy.

So my question to you all is: do you guys experience a "bumpy ride" when making a u-turn in your IS F? Do you know what causes that?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-13, 01:50 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

my F doesnt feel bumpy
Old 12-09-13, 01:51 PM
hodor
Driver School Candidate

@Darbs242 - Even if you turn your steering wheel all the way, you don't feel any bumpiness?

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!
Old 12-09-13, 01:58 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The only time i hold it at full over is u turns and donuts and it feels fine. i have had an F for four years and no experience like that at all
Old 12-09-13, 01:58 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about, OP and yes, my '09 does the exact same thing. When I make a full locked turn at a low speed (I do a particular left handed U-turn at my office parking lot almost every morning to get into my spot) and it feels like I've momentarily driven over a few of acorns or something. Not major bumps mind you, but just like I've driven over some slightly uneven pavement. It happened when my car was bone stock and it happens now that my car is lowered too... so the aftermarket suspension/wheels have nothing to do with it.

I've never actually been concerned enough to ask though, but it sounds like your previous owner's explanation is reasonable. Now I'm curious!
Old 12-09-13, 02:15 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Probably Normal

I have a 2011 and I notice the bumpiness as well when the steering wheel is locked. I think it is normal and the result of the drive wheels pushing the front of the car causing the front wheels to plow. These cars have a lot of power and will push anything.

My pickup has a locking differential and you ought to feel it plow the front on a tight turn. All in all, no big deal though.

Loren

Old 12-09-13, 02:19 PM
hodor
Driver School Candidate

So, then, when you guys feel this bumpiness when you turn, will this cause damage to the steering column or tires at all?
Old 12-09-13, 02:36 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hodor
So, then, when you guys feel this bumpiness when you turn, will this cause damage to the steering column or tires at all?
I can't see how, unless you're TRYING to break something.
Old 12-09-13, 02:40 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

check the inner tire wear. mine did this when my tires were bald/choppy in the inner front tires.
Old 12-09-13, 02:44 PM
ScottNY
Driver School Candidate

My 2013 does this at very low speeds, e.g. just over idle, at full steering lock. Only happens with stock tires, not with the snows, so I think it's tire slip you're feeling.
Old 12-09-13, 04:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Welcome to the site. Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-turning.html

Lou
Old 12-09-13, 05:07 PM
hodor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lou!!!
Old 12-09-13, 09:16 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default typo error

To me it was more like a scrubbing sound... I recently switched out the LCA bushing to defeat the inner tire wear... but I did notice the scrubbing sound went away but then again I did put new tires on the day after I installed the bushing... I didn't make note if the scrubbing sound was still there with the old tires b/c I wasn't expecting the scrubbing sound to go away... but no one else who has changed out the bushing has confirmed if their's went away too...
Old 12-10-13, 04:05 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

normal operation. mine also does it
Old 12-10-13, 02:32 PM
hodor
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if this can be fixed? If so, how?

This is causing an uneven wear on my front tires (i.e. - the outside of my tires are wearing out before the tread in the center is).

Quick Reply: Bumpy ride when steering wheel turned all the way - 2008 IS F