IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F might have to pull DD duty through the winter..all season tire performance question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 11:35 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F might have to pull DD duty through the winter..all season tire performance question

So unfortunately my winter beater volvo 850 is having some issues and with the possibility of me losing my job looming over my head I'm thinking about dropping money on some new all seasons and just driving the F all the time in order to avoid being stranded at a very inconvenient time/place with the Volvo. How many of you guys have made the switch from summers to all seasons and how much of a performance gain do you think you lose in the summer with the all seasons?

Also which all seasons are better the Conti's or the Bridgestones? I noticed they are about the same price on tire rack.

Sucks because here in DC some winters are really bad with the snow and others it will barely snow at all. I only live 4 miles from work so I could PROBABLY get by with summers and staying off the roads till they are mostly clear but not really willing to risk that.
Old 12-07-13, 12:46 PM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Indiana and I had Continental DWS put on few months ago, no problem so far during snow.
Old 12-07-13, 12:59 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

i have Continental ExtremeContact DWS on both my cars. great tire for the price
Old 12-07-13, 01:14 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kteng7
I live in Indiana and I had Continental DWS put on few months ago, no problem so far during snow.
Cool you on the stock rims as well?
Old 12-07-13, 02:05 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running DWS's on stock wheels. I put them on last November but as you know we never got any bad weather last year lol. I even took the car to summit point last month and they handled ok. I don't know what kind of driving you will be doing during the summer time but for me they work year round. I will eventually get a set of track wheels with performance tires once I can push these to their limit.
Old 12-07-13, 08:26 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

+4 on DWS... an excellent all around tire. You will lose some performance but not much. Treadwear is amazing too, 540. My F doesn't see snow but the DWS performed great during the few times I got caught in a rainstorm. Planning to get summer tires for my next set since my F sits most of the winter, probably gets driven a few times per week to prevent flat spots. I know that Weapon F (Dave) on here has driven on DWS in a few inches of snow and it's fine.
Old 12-07-13, 09:12 PM
kteng7
Driver

Originally Posted by RCM83
Cool you on the stock rims as well?
yup stock rims, no problems!
Old 12-08-13, 12:45 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

if I had to drive the F all-season round, I would opt for a set of snow tires and a set of summer tires.
All season tires are fine, but do not perform the best in snow for a torquey, RWD car (better safe than sorry).
also, some traction and handling is lost in all other times it's not snowing...
Old 12-08-13, 03:28 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Performed like a charm especially during last year's snow dump. Some people may have complained about road noise after a while but I had no such problems.

At any rate, SNOW mode is essential during those icy moments, the F may be torquey but it can be tamed!
Old 12-08-13, 12:19 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I just drove from Andrews AFB, MD to Fort Belvoir, VA and the DWS's accompanied with snow mode performed nice! I just hope I don't have to go to work tomorrow, lol.
Old 12-08-13, 02:45 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kauaian
I just drove from Andrews AFB, MD to Fort Belvoir, VA and the DWS's accompanied with snow mode performed nice! I just hope I don't have to go to work tomorrow, lol.
lol good to hear, this all really makes me nervous I have to be down that way for interviews wed, thurs, and friday this week and I can't trust the beater to start every morning right now so I have to take the F. I hope everything is cleared up by tuesday evening!
Old 12-08-13, 07:06 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

I'm running the Bridgestones on SE-14 wheels, square setup. I was in some snow tonight with no problem. On a dry road they are more slippery than the summer tires, so much that I don't use Sport mode. But I'm glad to have them.

Old 12-09-13, 07:55 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Bro,

I'm only a few miles from you. I have 3 x 245/35R19 DWS tires with great tread left sitting on the rack in my garage. I also have 2 x 275/30R19 DWS tires, but they are at or below 50% tread if I remember correctly. Hit me up on PM if you are interested. I won't be needing A/S tires anymore as I have PSS tires on my ISF and I bought a new truck for a DD.