IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lightweight Driveshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 07:48 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't want to remove it but I would let them. I will have to contact them this weekend then.

Would a carbon drive shaft be bad in the snow/cold. I drive my car year round even on ski trips and back to PA for the holidays.
Old 12-07-13, 05:09 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

What are the main advantages and possible downsides of this mod?
Estimated cost?
Old 12-07-13, 05:26 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't drive my cars in the winter but I've committed to an LSD before a driveshaft at the moment. By springtime I will be all over this! One of you should take advantage of a discount though.

There's a great article that rallysportdirect did...tidbits of misinformation but overall good piece to help you understand benefits of a lightweight DS:

http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co...shaft-overview
Old 01-17-14, 06:23 AM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had looked into having one built for our cars through GeForce 1320 as they were the ones who made the DS I had on my GTO. However, my car is my DD and I couldn't have the downtime to let them RD properly. If this comes to fruition I would most certainly buy one.

Originally Posted by Rossi
What are the main advantages and possible downsides of this mod?
Estimated cost?
The main advantage is a direct loss in un-sprung weight. Un-sprung weight loss is huge as it's typically hard to come by without spending gobs of money. It allows your motor to rev more freely and help eliminate drive-train loss due to having to overcome less inertia. When I did this mod to my GTO I went from running consistent 13.2's to 12.9's and about a 2 mph higher trap. I did go from having a 36 lbs drive-shaft to a 14 lbs one. You'll maybe notice a minuscule improvement in MPG. So in short, faster revving, faster car, maybe slight increase in MPG. Disadvantages considering the drive-shaft can spin very quickly and small defect in the manufacturing process can cause vibration. Also, aluminum can cause a hum and rarely CF will too, so they can be more noisy. They can be more delicate than the factory shaft but with the design of our cars drive-shaft encasing I wouldn't be worried about this in the slightest. As far as cost it seems to be the industry standard is around $1000-1300 for a carbon fiber shaft and $500-750 for aluminum. Of course this also depends on TQ requirements and can vary on that. There are shops in my area that would charge about $750 for a carbon fiber one but i wouldn't trust a one off job to anyone on such a fickle component so don't be easily swayed.
Old 01-17-14, 01:20 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I dont dd mine and would let a company use it for r&d...as long as i get a sweet deal on a cf driveshaft. The difference is amazing! I paid $1200 for my sti cf driveshaft right before I sold it and unfortunately I had a small vibration at high speed
Old 01-18-14, 06:05 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us informed im this development imterested
Old 05-20-14, 05:20 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So did anyone ever get a DS yet??? either aluminum or CF???.....I had went from a steel one (on a car I used to have) to a aluminum DS and was pleased with it
Old 07-16-14, 06:53 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Since this got brought up in another thread here's my update:

I have an is350 DS out getting manufactured in CF right now. It's going to be 1piece but still haven't confirmed the overall diameter and weight. Regardless, it will be done to perfection with improved results (lighter weight, higher tensile strength). It's still a few weeks away from completion.

As a side note, I have a spare IS-F DS for sale (in classifieds) if anyone is interested in purchasing and working with a manufacturer to develop a CF shaft for the ISF. I can provide details and a contact for the company I'm working with as well..
Old 07-16-14, 06:59 AM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sir is a custom order... I've already questioned this and was told they need the dimensions of the driveshaft...

Reason why there isn't out one for the market, well its not like a scion where there's tons of them... and its considered as a luxury car... so no need. UNLESS your like me, out to set a goal to beat some times... then yes you can go talk to a few companies that would go about making you just ONE or TWO incase you go mess up the 1st one.
Old 08-28-14, 05:56 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Feel like I should provide an update despite the custom DS I had made will not be going on my vehicle..

The quality of the DS is AMAZING!! It's design overcomes all of the shortcomings of the stock shaft.

It's a 3.25 Carbon fiber shaft using a 108mm CV that eliminates the front and rear guibos. The shaft and its custom wound fiber is designed for 1000Hp and a critical speed of over 220MPH. The back has a Solid 1350 joint (same size as a Top HP Drag car) and comes with all hardware. Its torsional properties are what will make it so good... This and the fact that the Guibos and soft hanger are no longer there to make the drivetrain feel soft or soggy, it will have a more athletic feel as well as all he benefits one should expect from such design.

To have the unit on hand and look it over I am beyond impressed! And that's coming from a repeat customer that used one of their DS on a high HP swapped is300.

MSRP is going to be $1399. Expect the same for the ISF if someone steps up and gets one to production.

I'll share 1 pic:

Last edited by mikellucci; 08-29-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 02:12 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhh come on.... give us more pics....this is like a teaser pic :-) but is very cool looking, would like to see both ends and how it will bolt up.
Old 08-29-14, 10:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

A good friend of mine had three CF driveshafts in his Supra. All three broke in less than 100 miles because he had no driveline dampening of any kind. Since the giubo is removed, what remains to dampen shock in the driveline?
Old 08-29-14, 11:00 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A good friend of mine had three CF driveshafts in his Supra. All three broke in less than 100 miles because he had no driveline dampening of any kind. Since the giubo is removed, what remains to dampen shock in the driveline?
I wonder why? My CF driveshaft in my Supra is fine. I must have done 30+ pulls on the dyno, many pulls at 780-800whp
Old 08-29-14, 11:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

HKS triple plate clutch and no giubos. All of them shattered, and all were made by a reputable manufacturer who replaced them under warranty. After the third one, he changed to a dampened clutch and never had another problem. I bought his HKS, It was brutal and not fun to drive at all despite it being super light. I sold it to someone building a racecar. It wasn't what I call streetable at all.
Old 08-29-14, 11:05 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Edit* I think you somewhat answered your own question with the clutch design.
I'll have to dig to recall what HKS clutch I had on the v160.

Lance, I'll let the manufacturer speak to your specific question but this is nothing new to Toyota or any HP application high or low. I ran the same design on my 573whp is300 for well over 3 years (until it was parted/sold) without an issue.

The company may even offer an extended warranty...they've been doing this for a long time with proven continued success.

Last edited by mikellucci; 08-29-14 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Driveshaft ??