IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler

Old 11-01-13, 03:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
looking forward to results/video
I just want this switch. I'll find a use for it later lol.
Old 11-01-13, 04:54 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Great looking exhaust! I love the customization ability (dual personality), the vband connections and the dual outlet muffler.

Do you by chance know how much this exhaust weighs with and without the cats? If the drone is as minimal as is with the Borla/ header combo and isn't much heavier than the Borla...... count me in!

Last edited by caymandive; 11-01-13 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 05:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Posted Videos on the First Page. Will try to answer some questions here:

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Great to see that there are finally more choices! Cant wait to hear how it sounds! Do we know an approx price range?
Expect something north of $2,600.00 for the configuration you see here. There will be many options that will add to or subtract from that price.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
This is awesome but was hoping for aftermarket tips. And wouldn't it be an issue in rain with those wires underneath the car?
Straight tips is an option being considered. Remember folks, this is a prototype system, the wires you see will be fully enclosed in a sheath both for aesthetics and to be safely away from the elements.

Originally Posted by Mrd916
This looks very interesting but my concerns are the wires underneath getting damaged and how will ecu react to switching to the different modes?
See above for the exposed wiring. The ECU has no problem whatsoever adapting to the valves opening and closing either manually or automatically.

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I think it is great to have more options, especially with the ISS off the market. Having the option for a diffuser delete with "real" tips would be nice. Also curious as to how the car will react tuning wise to the constant change in exhaust between WOT and nomal driving. I guess if set in auto mode the change over should be fairly constant and the car would adapt to the change in flow, but manual open and close may present a problem.
As indicated above "real" tips are being considered. Again, ECU has no issue with the valves opening or closing. And, no, Manual Open/Close does not present any performance issues or upset the ECU in anyway.

So far I have put about 200 miles on the exhaust, and it does all I expect it too. A friend With PPE headers and a JoeZ exhaust came over this morning, and he loved the setup.

IMHO, it's really a fabulous idea.

However, the bad news, as indicated this is a prototype, and it's handmade, no jigs yet. And the options I mentioned are in the thinking stage. Production is, IMHO, at least two months away, and much thought has to be given to exactly what options will be made available. That's where you folks come in.

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Maybe PPE could chime in here with some basic info and hopefully this isn't a big tease like my high school prom back in 92 when my girlfriend promised me a great post prom time in the hotel room then passed out after drinking 2 strawberry wine coolers
No Big Tease - This will happen. A month of work went into creating the Prototype. When more is known, PPE will be releasing information.

As LOWFAST put it - "Real Tips" may be an option
Polished or ceramic coatings, partial or complete will be an option
The valving system may be a system delete option
Cat delete may also be another option.

Originally Posted by caymandive
Great looking exhaust! I love the customization ability (dual personality), the vband connections and the dual outlet muffler.

Do you by chance know how much this exhaust weighs with and without the cats? If the drone is as minimal as is with the Borla/ header combo and isn't much heavier than the Borla...... count me in!
Good question on weight, but don't know. Again, this is a Protoype and everything was fabricated by hand. I'm sure my system, as it now stands, is heavier than the final system will be. And as I mentioned, up front, There is a minimal amount of drone, with the valves closed, between 1900 and 2300 RPM. I am very picky about resonance as most you you know, and to me, it is not an issue with this system as installed in my F.

Lou
Old 11-01-13, 08:47 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed Paul at PPE and he confirmed there will be multiple options involving cats and the switch for the different exhaust modes. This is great for people with different budgets or needs. He said pricing and specs will be available soon. Can't wait for this to come out
Old 11-02-13, 09:33 AM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

This does sound like a very good option. Any idea the brand of the cats or the cell count or flow?
Old 11-02-13, 12:12 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Sorry if I missed where it was mentioned, is this a full stainless steel system? Or can it be made with that option?
Old 11-02-13, 01:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by weswork
This does sound like a very good option. Any idea the brand of the cats or the cell count or flow?
I'm not sure, but I believe the cats to be MagnaFlow with a cell count of 400. I'll make sure and post back.

EDIT - CONFIRMED

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Sorry if I missed where it was mentioned, is this a full stainless steel system? Or can it be made with that option?
Yes indeed, it's full mandrel bent stainless steel.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 11-04-13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 01:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Props to PPE on this one. PPE header/exhaust combo.
Old 11-04-13, 12:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just finished the first leg of my trip. This is a truly assume exhaust. Quiet when you want it to be or it bellows like a bull - Your Choice. Also, as indicated earlier, the kick in the pants just feels like a bigger kick. I'm really interested to see what the dyno is going to say.

Lou
Old 11-04-13, 01:27 PM
Nameless1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may push me over the fence on purchasing headers and exhaust, especially if they use real tips. Subscribed...
Old 11-04-13, 02:11 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great waiting for the final price and hp numbers.
Old 11-05-13, 05:50 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be interested in the weight and numbers, with cats. Thanks for the information, lowrideraz.
Old 11-24-13, 02:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

UPDATE:

The Prototype system is now complete. The rear position is ceramic coated. The Ceramic coating will be an option either on the rear, as I have it, or on the entire system. The wiring is now enclosed and safely out of the elements. My impressions of the system still remain as previously written in my earlier posts. IMHO, this dual mode exhaust gives us what we want - Power and Aggressive Sound when you need it, and the docile sound of a stock ISF when you want to be unassuming

Lou.
Attached Thumbnails PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-coated-exhaust-rear.jpg   PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-coated-exhaust-rear1.jpg   PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-coated-muffler.jpg   PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-canaster.jpg  
Old 11-24-13, 02:43 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do we have pricing yet?
Old 11-24-13, 02:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

And now for the numbers:

All the Dyno graphs I have attached included PPE Headers and cats, except the JoeZ system, which was dynoed with no cats.

1. Comparison of Dual Mode PPE exhaust with stock exhaust - Both run on the same day.

In the following comparisons the compared to systems were run back in March:

2. Comparison of Dual Mode PPE exhaust with my old modified dual system

3. Comparison of Dual Mode PPE exhaust with JoeZ exhaust, again no cats on the JoeZ

The numbers are here - You can make your own conclusions. For me the PPE system gets a Big

BTW, my old modified system, in one piece is up for sale if anyone in the Phoenix area is interested.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-exhaust-vs-stock.jpg   PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-exhaust-vs-lou-s-modified.jpg   PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler-ppes-exhaust-vs-joez.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler