IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF to an Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 08:32 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
Can someone tell me why it cost s300 for an oil change... its the same engine in a rs4 motor.
Probably due to engine repackaging for the rear engine, and the fact that the purchase price is over $100k lol.
Old 10-25-13, 08:58 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Can someone tell me why it cost s300 for an oil change... its the same engine in a rs4 motor.
Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. I'd suggest the same thing that vbb mentioned. Find an independent shop that specializes in Audi/R8s. I have mine serviced at an independent shop that works on nothing but Porsche and they do prep work on GT3 cup cars. The rates are a little better than typical dealer rates but not by much.

Don't take this the wrong way. If you're concerned about $300 oil change, you should ask yourself if you're ready to own the car. I can guarantee you it won't get any cheaper when you have to do major service or if something breaks. I'm not suggesting that you can't afford the car. Just something to consider.

Terrance
Old 10-25-13, 10:48 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the 300 dollar oil change was a dealer quote. To be honest the 300 dollar price tag is not the issue. The issue is getting ripped off at the dealership. Don't get me wrong the dealership has it place when there is a serious problem with the car. Look at lexus. They charge an arm and a leg for a Brake job. This job can be done at a fraction of the cost. This car is an audi not a italian exotic. I do agree with every one finding a performance shop which is an obvious solution to cut down on maintenance costs.

Now does anyone have experience on tuning? Obviously your not buying this car for fuel economy but if your getting 12 in city what would you expect after a flash to get you, 2 mpg? 10hp? Im thinking jumping on the r8 forumn will get me up to speed. I will admit, thats a great upside on the f. Performance when you want and fuel economy when on the high way...
Old 10-25-13, 12:43 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Well the 300 dollar oil change was a dealer quote. To be honest the 300 dollar price tag is not the issue. The issue is getting ripped off at the dealership. Don't get me wrong the dealership has it place when there is a serious problem with the car. Look at lexus. They charge an arm and a leg for a Brake job. This job can be done at a fraction of the cost. This car is an audi not a italian exotic. I do agree with every one finding a performance shop which is an obvious solution to cut down on maintenance costs.

Now does anyone have experience on tuning? Obviously your not buying this car for fuel economy but if your getting 12 in city what would you expect after a flash to get you, 2 mpg? 10hp? Im thinking jumping on the r8 forumn will get me up to speed. I will admit, thats a great upside on the f. Performance when you want and fuel economy when on the high way...
Yeah, the Audi forums will answer most of your questions better than we could over here. But you pointed it out in the last line of the above post... the ISF really is a great "compromise" car. It has luxury, utility, space, gas mileage, reliability, and enough power to get you in plenty of trouble. If you're looking at an R8, you're looking for a no compromises sports car. Something that isn't SUPPOSED to get good gas mileage, be cheap to service, or carry around a few friends. It's a flat-out sports car and it is ALL about the driving experience.

This is the root of what I am getting at with my posts about the money. If you were to buy an $80K-$100K car that could do a lot of things well and be a practical daily driver, then that would seem like you're a successful guy with some disposable income to buy nice things. If you buy an $80K-$100K toy, that says "I've got a $*** ton of money and can do whatever I want." In my humble opinion it takes a lot more financial stability to spend $80K on something like an R8 than it would to spend $80K on something like an S6.

But I've said plenty on this already. If you do end up getting the R8, I hope you post a lot of pictures! There's a matte black one for sale somewhere on the East Coast (can't remember where I saw it) and it is just sexy as hell.
Old 10-25-13, 03:33 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

For a totally different sports car experience, buy the R8 regardless of the engine. Personally, I prefer the GT-R because it's less ostentatious than German or Italian sports cars. I am with VBB that driving an R8 will be offensive in the workplace regardless of your position. Lower level people are questioned and execs are viewed as excessive.
Old 10-25-13, 04:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The performance will be the same or less with the V8. Get the V10 or look elsewhere, IMO.
Old 10-27-13, 06:05 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it has been discussed above.... but you won't like the costs associated with owning an R8.
Old 10-28-13, 01:51 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,

Off-Topic...

Now, you see I'm from Germany, and I was in the US last month and what do I see, when I got lost strolling around in the morning near my hotel....

I wouldnt have noticed it, but you took pics of your car in the exact same spot
Attached Thumbnails ISF to an Audi R8-photo-1.jpg   ISF to an Audi R8-photo-3.jpg  
Old 10-28-13, 02:28 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I'm not sure if the V8 version is worth it. Like someone else said it's an RS4 engine......and come on 0-60 in low 4 secs? Even FBO ISF's are as fast. The ISF is almost as fast as the V8 version R8.....doesn't justify the 80K price tag on a used R8.
definitely agree with you Vj it practically performs the same as an ISF, ive seen videos where ISFs have been faster than the v8 R8 by about 1-2 car lengths. Point is the v10 would be the way to go unless you care more about the way the R8 looks then get the v8...Regardless its still an upgrade IMO but the v10 would be more of a performance upgrade as opposed to just the design of the R8.

Good luck with your decision
Old 10-28-13, 03:43 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
Wow,

Off-Topic...

Now, you see I'm from Germany, and I was in the US last month and what do I see, when I got lost strolling around in the morning near my hotel....

I wouldnt have noticed it, but you took pics of your car in the exact same spot
Wow small world... you must of stayed at the eden resort...
Old 10-31-13, 02:19 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

That is correct. I love their breakfast, plus the Sheetz next to it!

We dont get any of that over here!
Old 10-31-13, 09:13 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered a RS5?
Old 11-01-13, 06:49 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^RS5 is sick. 0-60 in less than 4 secs, AWD, and with aftermarket exhaust they sound insane. I've seen one in person, they are beautiful. I guess the OP wants to get into the exotic territory.....it's a shame the V10 R8's are well into the $100K range.
Old 11-01-13, 07:04 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I think the RS5 may even be more rare than the R8, if that means anything to the OP. For me, it'd be the far better choice, but like VJ said above, I wouldn't think that someone shopping for an R8 would want an RS5 instead. Totally different type of car.
Old 11-01-13, 07:12 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree the performance is great from the RS5 but it's in a completely different class. There is actually an aggressively modded RS5 for sale here in S Fla. You should take a look lol.

Quick Reply: ISF to an Audi R8