IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF to an Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 02:04 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Comparing an IS F to an R8 just doesn't make too much sense to me...One is a sport compact sedan with four doors and the other is an exotic supercar...

They are both wayyyyy too fast for public roads to generally handle in the first place, but one is somewhat understated, has four seats and four doors, you can put a childseat or two in the back, and a couple sets of golf clubs and your groceries in the trunk. The other is intended stand out with maximum contrast from other cars and blend performance with looks and pizzazz.

So IS F is the practical choice here, and R8 is all-out supercar baller-ness purely for driving enjoyment making a statement.

And I LOVE the R8...since my brother's fantasy car is a GTR, I've always said mine is an R8...

Also, I adore my IS F and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-24-13, 02:21 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Danny brings up a lot of great points. One thing that hasn't been touched on much, but that Danny brought up, is the fact that the R8 is almost TOO over the top from a baller standpoint. I'd actually feel a little self conscious driving around a car that was nearly $100k and looked like cars costing twice that or more. Some may not care about this aspect at all, but I actually think it would look a bit awkward rolling up to my office in an R8, and I do well financially. I like the fact that most people think that my car is "just" another Lexus, unless they really know what they're looking at. That's another thing I like about Porsche, they're a bit more understated. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the R8 looks... but I wouldn't want the attention or stigma that goes along with driving one.
Old 10-24-13, 02:33 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Danny brings up a lot of great points. One thing that hasn't been touched on much, but that Danny brought up, is the fact that the R8 is almost TOO over the top from a baller standpoint. I'd actually feel a little self conscious driving around a car that was nearly $100k and looked like cars costing twice that or more. Some may not care about this aspect at all, but I actually think it would look a bit awkward rolling up to my office in an R8, and I do well financially. I like the fact that most people think that my car is "just" another Lexus, unless they really know what they're looking at. That's another thing I like about Porsche, they're a bit more understated. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the R8 looks... but I wouldn't want the attention or stigma that goes along with driving one.
No matter how much people say to buy what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think, it has to be considered. Even in the circles I run in I still get comments on my 4GS. It's face stands out in a crowd and attracts attention. I can just imagine what would be said if I rolled up in an R8. If I had the means to get one under $100k though there would be no way in HELL I wouldn't drive off the lot with it lol.
Old 10-24-13, 02:39 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
i think that's why the OP wants to switch cars, lol. he already said ISF power is not far from it. i think the looks is the reason why people buy these cars. he can buy the audi s6 and have better performance than that r8 but i don t think that's what he wants when lookingn at the r8.
Old 10-24-13, 03:41 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I work for a small business and I don't drive my isf to work every day. People know what lexus's cost. I have a tacoma as a daily. There is one younger punk kid thats gives me s*** because i drive one. Most people I work with are a little more conservative. If I drove up in an R8 ohh would the people talk. Like how much are they paying him? i get that now. I don't buy cars to impress people. I'm a car enthusiast and I appreciate the engineering behind cars and there is nothing like getting behind the wheel and ripping through the gears. If I bought one it would not be driven to work. If I worked for a larger employer with a big parking lot I could hide it. Haha probably not. People love to gossip and rolling up in an R8 would add fuel to the fire. You only live once and you can't take the money with you.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 10-24-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 05:15 PM
vbb

I agree, you can't take the money with you when you're gone, and as a general proposition I don't care what others think... but the R8 screams excess and I don't know if I want to be that loud. You can drive a $100k Benz or A8 and most would think you just have a nice expensive car, but you drive an R8, with absolutely no real practicality and it looks like you've got money to burn. Most people resent that. Many of my friends and almost all of the staff at my office would see that as almost offensive that I was driving such an over the top car. The more I think about it, the more I could never really do it even if I somehow convinced my wife that spending $100k+ on a car was an okay idea (which likely wouldn't happen).

My boss is a millionaire, and he drives a 2013 GS 350. He likes my car and appreciates it for what it is (I've let him drive it a few times) but it would just be weird if I were to drive up in something like an R8. I've tried to convince him to get the GSF when it comes out, and he even says ehh... that's probably going to be too much money for a car. It just wouldn't look right.

Last edited by vbb; 10-24-13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:33 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
I agree, you can't take the money with you when you're gone, and as a general proposition I don't care what others think... but the R8 screams excess and I don't know if I want to be that loud. You can drive a $100k Benz or A8 and most would think you just have a nice expensive car, but you drive an R8, with absolutely no real practicality and it looks like you've got money to burn. Most people resent that. Many of my friends and almost all of the staff at my office would see that as almost offensive that I was driving such an over the top car. The more I think about it, the more I could never really do it even if I somehow convinced my wife that spending $100k+ on a car was an okay idea (which likely wouldn't happen).

My boss is a millionaire, and he drives a 2013 GS 350. He likes my car and appreciates it for what it is (I've let him drive it a few times) but it would just be weird if I were to drive up in something like an R8. I've tried to convince him to get the GSF when it comes out, and he even says ehh... that's probably going to be too much money for a car. It just wouldn't look right.
In an attempt to reaffirm your general thesis: somebody not (yet) a millionaire would be pinging really high on my 'W-T-F-is-he-thinking' meter if they bought a six-figure ride. Tough to comprehend speding at least 20% of your net worth on a car. Scary.
Old 10-24-13, 07:48 PM
Jay954
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V10 or nothing. I would keep the is-f u can easily beat a v8 r8 with your mods and if u added a bottle it's over. Maintenance also on a Audi will be more costly...
Old 10-24-13, 07:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
In an attempt to reaffirm your general thesis: somebody not (yet) a millionaire would be pinging really high on my 'W-T-F-is-he-thinking' meter if they bought a six-figure ride. Tough to comprehend speding at least 20% of your net worth on a car. Scary.
the car can be had for 70k-80k.
Old 10-24-13, 08:25 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
the car can be had for 70k-80k.
Absolutely true. I was referring to vbb's post above...
Old 10-24-13, 09:15 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it really matters if OP gets a V8 or V10 as long as he's happy with it. I think most of us get caught up with the hp numbers and 0-60 times. It's about appreciating the engineering and the experience of driving a sports/exotic car.

OP, if you do decide to sell the car, it'll be easier to sell if you put it back to stock. Mods generally don't help the resell value and also your pool of potential buyers will get significantly smaller.

Terrance
Old 10-24-13, 09:47 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take your Tom's Kit should you decide to part with it. LMK
Old 10-25-13, 07:08 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If we aren't considering performance or maintenance costs and basing this on looks, why don't we consider a lightly used Maserati Granturismo S, or Aston Martin DB9. 2008-2010 models are easily going for $80-90K. They look better IMO. But if we're talking performance, R8 V10 over the V8.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 10-25-13 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 08:26 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can someone tell me why it costs $300 for an oil change... its the same engine in a rs4 motor.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 10-25-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 08:29 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
Can someone tell me why it cost s300 for an oil change... its the same engine in a rs4 motor.
It's common that dealerships will mark up the price of simple maintenance on higher end/more expensive cars simply because they can. Audi certainly isn't the only dealer to do this. If you can find a good independent shop to work on your car, that's almost always going to be better than the dealer (of course, as long as the indy shop knows what they are doing).

Quick Reply: ISF to an Audi R8