Old 10-24-13, 05:38 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

vbb's 3 reasons to get rid of the ISF
1.) Financial/family reasons
2.) To buy a Porsche
3.) To upgrade to a newer ISF or a RCF/GSF

That's it.

Now this falls close to reason #2... the R8 is surely an everyman's exotic. The car looks way more expensive than it is (and it isn't cheap), and from everything I've heard and read, it really is tolerable as a daily driver if you have no real need for space/storage. I love the looks of the R8. Audi makes some of the best looking cars on the market, hands down. It wouldn't be a car I'd switch for though. It's too expensive to mod, too expensive to service, and not as reliable as the ISF. If I were to switch from the ISF to upgrade, I'd want a car that was DEFINITELY more performance, and not in the same basic category. That's why a 911 Turbo or GT3 would have to be the upgrade car for me.

The real question is why are you looking to trade out of your ISF with only 2K miles on it? Enjoy the car a little bit why don't ya? I've put roughly 17K miles on my ISF and I still grin like an idiot almost every time I step on the gas. I'm not even close to being bored yet.
Old 10-24-13, 06:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mean, I could see why the OP is looking to jump ship... I really wish the ISF was manual sometimes! There's nothing like having a third pedal and slamming through the gear box.
Old 10-24-13, 07:00 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I mean, I could see why the OP is looking to jump ship... I really wish the ISF was manual sometimes! There's nothing like having a third pedal and slamming through the gear box.
I have had many manual cars, and yes, I agree that rowing the gears is thrilling from time to time. But for me, on a car that I'm going to daily drive I'd much prefer an auto or at least something with paddles. Traffic is unavoidable at times, and rowing through the gears in a traffic jam is enough to drive someone crazy.

The ISF is not a true sports car (in my opinion). It is a fantastic sports sedan, and is exactly what I was looking for. But if you want a pure sports car, you have to look elsewhere. I would love to have a sports car, but it'd have to be a weekend warrior type of car for me... and I can't justify spending Porsche money on a car that I only drive a few thousand miles a year. I picked the ISF so I could have a car that I could enjoy everyday, in every situation.

Last edited by vbb; 10-24-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 08:25 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-Rex06, I called around for oil change cost. I was quoted low $300's for the 4.2 V8. Jumps into $400 for the V10.

When buying a car like that we shouldn't be concerned with the maintenance cost, gas mileage etc. But I can't get those items off my radar. 12mpg city (before stepping on it) would hurt me mentally. Lol

911 turbo will be my likely upgrade. I think the 997tt are down a bit with the news of the 991tt. May be a good time to pick one up in the next few months
Old 10-24-13, 08:33 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the ISF and a 911 Turbo and my next car will be a R8 V10. It's just too much value to pass on. Similar year Gallardo's are 70k more and it's the same car underneath.

I still think the R8 V8 is a hell of a car for the money. No it won't be as outright fast as the 977TT but neither is a Gallardo or 430 and both of those are 2x's the price. I think the R8 is in the same bracket as the Porsches in terms of reliability and maintenance expense from the owners i've talked to. The difference is people will see an R8 and think you're balling, or they will see you in a 911 and think that guy just has a normal 911 as 99% of people cannot distinguish a 150k sticker turbo from a 70k base carrera. Guess it's just up to you if you care about that or not.

Don't do R-Tronic, it's crap. The 6-speed manuals are lovely and as far as i'm concern liven the V8 up enough to make it enjoyable. I'd still go for the V10 as you can flash them to get the same HP as the new 2014's rolling off the showroom and they are coming down in price. But at the 75-85k price point the V8 is an exceptional amount of machine for the money.
Old 10-24-13, 08:45 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
vbb's 3 reasons to get rid of the ISF
1.) Financial/family reasons
2.) To buy a Porsche
3.) To upgrade to a newer ISF or a RCF/GSF

That's it.

Now this falls close to reason #2... the R8 is surely an everyman's exotic. The car looks way more expensive than it is (and it isn't cheap), and from everything I've heard and read, it really is tolerable as a daily driver if you have no real need for space/storage. I love the looks of the R8. Audi makes some of the best looking cars on the market, hands down. It wouldn't be a car I'd switch for though. It's too expensive to mod, too expensive to service, and not as reliable as the ISF. If I were to switch from the ISF to upgrade, I'd want a car that was DEFINITELY more performance, and not in the same basic category. That's why a 911 Turbo or GT3 would have to be the upgrade car for me.

The real question is why are you looking to trade out of your ISF with only 2K miles on it? Enjoy the car a little bit why don't ya? I've put roughly 17K miles on my ISF and I still grin like an idiot almost every time I step on the gas. I'm not even close to being bored yet.

To be honest this is my second one I have owned, isf that is. Love this car. The more I think about the r8 is simple to costly to maintain. 300 for an oil change what a joke. Its the same motor as the rs4. For me to switch it would need to be a smoking deal.
Old 10-24-13, 08:56 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
I've got the ISF and a 911 Turbo and my next car will be a R8 V10. It's just too much value to pass on. Similar year Gallardo's are 70k more and it's the same car underneath.

I still think the R8 V8 is a hell of a car for the money. No it won't be as outright fast as the 977TT but neither is a Gallardo or 430 and both of those are 2x's the price. I think the R8 is in the same bracket as the Porsches in terms of reliability and maintenance expense from the owners i've talked to. The difference is people will see an R8 and think you're balling, or they will see you in a 911 and think that guy just has a normal 911 as 99% of people cannot distinguish a 150k sticker turbo from a 70k base carrera. Guess it's just up to you if you care about that or not.

Don't do R-Tronic, it's crap. The 6-speed manuals are lovely and as far as i'm concern liven the V8 up enough to make it enjoyable. I'd still go for the V10 as you can flash them to get the same HP as the new 2014's rolling off the showroom and they are coming down in price. But at the 75-85k price point the V8 is an exceptional amount of machine for the money.
+1. I think a tune/flash will be 3k. I'm looking for 08-09 daytona grey with brown/red interior and 6sp. Finding one for 75k will be hard since most people are upside down on these things. The r8 in the pic is at autohouse for 92k. It will sell for upper 80s. Its an auto and a jersey car. If I could find one for mid 70 with 20k miles I would do it. Hard to find with the combo I'm looking for under 100k.
Old 10-24-13, 09:07 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

My buddy just drove one for sale in Miami asking 84k with 19k miles. Silver over red with full carbon and a 6-speed. If you want the guys contact info let me know.
Old 10-24-13, 09:21 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having the money for these sort of dilemmas must be nice....lol
Old 10-24-13, 09:32 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
+1. I think a tune/flash will be 3k. I'm looking for 08-09 daytona grey with brown/red interior and 6sp. Finding one for 75k will be hard since most people are upside down on these things. The r8 in the pic is at autohouse for 92k. It will sell for upper 80s. Its an auto and a jersey car. If I could find one for mid 70 with 20k miles I would do it. Hard to find with the combo I'm looking for under 100k.
If you can find one for mid $70k or very low $80k, it'll be a good buy. If I'm not mistaken, Audis tend to depreciate at a pretty fast pace. I don't think you'll miss your F once you get into the R8. I was having second thoughts about selling my F but I'll have to say I don't miss mine. Good luck with your search.

Terrance
Old 10-24-13, 10:23 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if the V8 version is worth it. Like someone else said it's an RS4 engine......and come on 0-60 in low 4 secs? Even FBO ISF's are as fast. The ISF is almost as fast as the V8 version R8.....doesn't justify the 80K price tag on a used R8.
Old 10-24-13, 10:59 AM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO IT!! Some guy in my neighborhood has one. The wow factor of a R8 is in another league. That said, I think T-Rex has a very valid point. I would go for a GT3 over an R8. Check out the Top Gear episode where they raced the two. Very interesting on the 4 year maintenance for the GT3 also, I bet the Audi is more expensive to maintain if T-Rex paid on $1100.
Old 10-24-13, 11:00 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Regardless of performance aspect the R8 is an amazing looking car and for $80k for a used one there is not much else in that price range that gets the attention it does. As far as the V8 version not being much of an upgrade to an F just park the F next to one and see which one gets all the looks. Of course it's more to maintain but if I have close to $100k to spend on a car then a $300 oil change shouldn't be a factor
Old 10-24-13, 11:59 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be in the minority who doesn't really care about horse power and 0-60 times. No matter how you slice it, R8 is in the totally different class compared to the F. It may have similar 0-60 times or even slower compared to a modded F, but the driving experience is completely different. It's like some people complain the LFA price tag is not worth it because you can get other super cars for less.

I'm not saying the F is a bad car at all. I enjoyed every bit of it. The electronics are far more superior than the German counterpart. When it comes to reliability, you can't beat the Japanese. I'm mentally prepared for expensive repairs on my GT3 if something goes wrong. I think you should be ok as long as you know what you're getting into.

Terrance

Quick Reply: ISF to an Audi R8