IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 06:36 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is the pic (w/ red arrow this time). You can see the itty bitty space in between the car body and header. If you look close, you can see a little bit of rusty powder. When the engine torques, that runner hits the car body and cause the noise. That's the area we'll "massage" out next Monday.
Attached Thumbnails Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club-header2.jpg  
Old 10-21-13, 07:02 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, will show this to my service advisor and tech at Lexus. Thanks, Mel.
Old 10-21-13, 09:32 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Ashton at Elite will take good care of you bro. I'm glad it's just the headers and not a front end problem. You could feel the vibration from the engine contacting the body like a tire rubbing without the pull on the steering. Not necessarily bad new b/c "YOU HAVE HEADERS" now!! It was sad to see you trade in Gina, but what a gem this car is with the free upgrades.
Old 10-22-13, 01:07 PM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
So apparently there are a few of us that are experiencing the same issue with these headers. As I stated in the other comparison thread, I'm having mine looked at on Monday by a recommended shop here in Austin that deals with high-end sport cars. He's worked on a few ISFs and is familiar with some of our issues.

My service guy at Lexus said it's a bolt from the heatshield that rubs on the header, but won't touch it b/c the headers are aftermarket. Ashton, the guy at Elite Motorsports, basically confirmed what the Lexus guy said, and said it's likely due to the motor mount shifting due to torque and it's touching that bolt. We're going to rack it on Monday and take a look. Hopefully it's just a loose bolt and an easy fix. I'll update this on Monday once we've looked at it.

Has anyone else with this issue had other experiences or received different information? Anyone have advice about fixing the issue?

TIA!

Jim
Hey Jim and everyone else,

Just a quick post regarding this issue. First of all I would assume that you do have an older set of these headers Jim. If you bought your car with them already installed then that would make sense. The design is still 100% the same but we now use our new 3D imaging tool on all headers to confirm exact spec, an area where standard jigs can lack and result in lower tolerances. With the ISF everything is so tight that every little bit adds up.

For anyone with issues of the header rubbing on the heat shield bolt, you can just remove it. There's a couple of bolts that hold it in so taking that 1 out won't hurt anything.

We also often see that it can be motor mounted related. They'll weaken over time allowing too much movement. That doesn't appear to be the case with yours Jim but just a heads up to other people reading this.

And as far as "massaging" goes, I actually addressed that in the post where VegasISF said that. I would not use the term "massage" to describe what needs to done. It's definitely more than that. But sometimes some additional clearance is required. Which again is why we updated our process to prevent this.

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Its all come down how good are the installers, most of the members has Sikky headers installed for the last 2 yrs or more has no problem . Myself included
This is one reality that is often over looked. While it's not always the case with issues, which is why offer a full warranty for manufacturing defects, it can play a part in it. For example, since these went to production one of the techs at JE Import Performance in Baltimore MD has done over roughly 15 header installs and has never reported back with a set that needs to be replaced for defects. A lot of ClubLexus members are very familiar with JE because of their knowledge with this install. Granted that's a small number in comparison to the amount we have sold total, but from the aspect of 1 single tech installing that many sets you'd think he would have experienced this first hand. Just something to consider. The ISF header install is one of the most complex header installs out there so definitely take it a trusted and skilled technician.

Hopefully this helps address and answer some questions you guy have. Of course you can always call (410-780-0009) or email (sales@sikky.com) if anything else is needed. I'll gladly help you out in any way possible and get your setup working as its designed to! Thanks guys

-Justin
Sikky MFG
Old 10-22-13, 06:38 PM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw, I've had my silkys for about 1.5 years and 40k miles with no issues.
Old 10-22-13, 07:31 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Sikky, from what I understand of your post regarding older sets of headers, there was a design flaw, is this correct? So, is this an admission and you are willing to replace the affected part similar to what you did to Vegas?
Old 10-23-13, 06:13 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2011slvISF
hey guys, Me and my buddies just installed the headers last night and my traction control light/check engine light were on and also there is a rattle down by my feet when i turn right or hit a bump. not sure what it is. there was also a (check headlight power system warning)?? it only turned on at night. this morning the i woke up turned her on and just the traction control light went on when i drove a few hundred yards.

*****ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED******
I accidentally deleted the last post with this, so in case you didn't see it-

Hey,

Not sure if you resolved this yet, but what CEL are you getting? Once you determine what's causing the CEL we can address that. Let me know, thanks!

-Justin
Sikky MFG
Old 10-23-13, 06:23 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Sikky, from what I understand of your post regarding older sets of headers, there was a design flaw, is this correct? So, is this an admission and you are willing to replace the affected part similar to what you did to Vegas?
Well, first, no there was not a design flaw. As I stated in the post above, the design has remained 100% the same since day 1. All that has changed is the process in which we confirm the tolerances. It's a much more error proof method than a jig setup. 95% of the time a jig would be fine for headers but we've seen the clearances are just so tight on the ISF we need to make sure it's dead on accurate.

With that being said we in fact warranty all our headers for manufacturing defects (like being out of tolerance). We need the defective one sent back and a replacement can be issued. Email me at sales@sikky.com to set something up if needed and I can go over the details. We'll always stand behind our products and would never leave the customer high and dry!
Old 10-23-13, 07:17 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by SikkyMFG
Well, first, no there was not a design flaw. As I stated in the post above, the design has remained 100% the same since day 1. All that has changed is the process in which we confirm the tolerances. It's a much more error proof method than a jig setup. 95% of the time a jig would be fine for headers but we've seen the clearances are just so tight on the ISF we need to make sure it's dead on accurate.

With that being said we in fact warranty all our headers for manufacturing defects (like being out of tolerance). We need the defective one sent back and a replacement can be issued. Email me at sales@sikky.com to set something up if needed and I can go over the details. We'll always stand behind our products and would never leave the customer high and dry!
That's fantastic to hear, and I'm sure all Sikky header owners appreciate that.

SikkyMFG, allow me to clarify - After meeting up with Ashton, I am under the impression that my issue does not concern a loose heatshield bolt; rather, it is simply due to the header rubbing on the car body due to engine movement/torquing/whatever.

Simply due to labor cost, I will wait to see how it goes on Monday first before concerning myself with replacement. Personally, I'd rather pay $100 to have a pro pound out a 1/4" of clearance than pay $800 to swap out headers. Of course....I wouldn't mind putting a fresh set on there that can be pre-treated to not flake/erode over time.

Neophyte questions regarding your weakened motor mount comment - is that something that can be retightened and/or remedied, or is that simply a structural "wear and tear" kind of thing you just have to live with?

Last edited by melbitoast; 10-23-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-23-13, 02:26 PM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by melbitoast
That's fantastic to hear, and I'm sure all Sikky header owners appreciate that.

SikkyMFG, allow me to clarify - After meeting up with Ashton, I am under the impression that my issue does not concern a loose heatshield bolt; rather, it is simply due to the header rubbing on the car body due to engine movement/torquing/whatever.

Simply due to labor cost, I will wait to see how it goes on Monday first before concerning myself with replacement. Personally, I'd rather pay $100 to have a pro pound out a 1/4" of clearance than pay $800 to swap out headers. Of course....I wouldn't mind putting a fresh set on there that can be pre-treated to not flake/erode over time.

Neophyte questions regarding your weakened motor mount comment - is that something that can be retightened and/or remedied, or is that simply a structural "wear and tear" kind of thing you just have to live with?

As you addressed with labor cost thing, that is how most customers feel. It usually doesn't take much to get the clearance if its needed and it's just easier than pulling and replacing the headers. Lots of the time techs will even do it during the install and not charge extra. It should really only take a few minutes if the cars already on the lift.

And for the motor mounts, the only fix is a replacement. It's a liquid filled rubber mount so it does happen. My tech has even seen the studs get bent, causing the engine to sit lopsided, which could cause problems.

Definitely keep me posted along the way with how it goes. We want to make sure you're all setup and good to go!
Old 10-23-13, 08:10 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SikkyMFG

Would you be willing to speak to my Lexus tech over the phone and advise them of what to do? I'd rather fix my set than replace the right side. Thanks!
Old 10-25-13, 08:01 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Would you be willing to speak to my Lexus tech over the phone and advise them of what to do? I'd rather fix my set than replace the right side. Thanks!
Yes certainly that wouldn't be problem. If he needs some help just have him give us a ring and we'll work with him.
Old 10-28-13, 09:34 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Okay, so it's BOTH a 2nd runner on the body issue AND a bolt issue. The bolt can only be seen from below. Only way to fix this is by removing the header. NOT HAPPY, Sikky. The labor alone could be more than what these are worth!

Plus, the coating is flaking off like crazy, so they look like crap. So I may have to consider removing the headers anyway to get them properly coated/protected before they rust any further.

Sikky, any way you would consider replacing these with the new design that you say has no fitment issues?

I'll post pics of everything shortly.

Last edited by melbitoast; 10-28-13 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 10:51 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Here are the pictures. Sorry, I don't know how to make them smaller.
The first is the bolt.
Second is the passenger side header.
Third is the driver side header.

Total labor may be in the ball park of 14-15 hours
Attached Thumbnails Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club-header-bolt.jpg   Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club-header-passenger-side.jpg   Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club-header-driver-side.jpg  
Old 10-28-13, 12:06 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

wow that doesn't look too healthy

Quick Reply: Sikky headers - "Left Turn Rattle" club