IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you trust dealership car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 05:16 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you trust dealership car wash?

It's about time to take the car for its first routine maintenance appointment. Considering that it's a black car, it's easy to scratch it and leave swirls after a car wash. I've read on a couple forums that many just wash it on their own (which I do too), but even with the most detailed care I give when washing my car, I manage to leave some minor scratches even with microfiber cloth..

So, do you trust your dealership when it comes to car washes? Do you just washing yourself and let them only do interior cleaning?
Old 10-07-13, 05:28 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

depends how nice your paint is... I let them do my Obsidian because the paint was far from perfect when I bought it. Lexus was the only place that has washed my car besides me though, even then. If my paint was in better shape, dealer wouldnt touch mine.
Old 10-07-13, 05:35 PM
is2506spon
Driver School Candidate

Default no way!

my obsidian had 1500 k on the initial visit to the dealer and they decided to do a complimentary wash! i did not recognize my car when i went to pick it up, it was covered in swirl marks from the drying cloths. now they have it on file not to wash it. they did restore the paint as the salesman knew me well and knows i only hand wash my car personally.

i have found that several coats of turtle wax ice keeps the gloss and protects the colour well.
Old 10-07-13, 05:35 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hell no! it gives me chills thinking about all the nasty grime they pull off the soccer moms' rx350's that go right before my car and how the KIDS doing it don't properly lubricate the towels to minimize scratches or swirls.

I always put a post it note on my center console to NOT wash the car and make sure the service manager is aware not to wash it.

Another fail safe is if you take the car there clean they tend to ask if you want it washed anyway. it saves them time and hassle and it will save your paint not to have them do it.
Old 10-07-13, 05:36 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If ur scratching the car with microfiber u are using a cheap microfiber or its dirty
You should look into buying new towels and wash or get ur at professionally coated in opticoat also to answer ur question no I don't let them wash I specifically tel them to note no wash needed
Old 10-07-13, 05:38 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Never ever let any dealership wash your car, unless its a beater car. I dont care if its a kia or rolls royce dealership...
Old 10-07-13, 05:46 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, I guess the general consensus is HELL NO!

I always refuse the free car wash too.
Old 10-07-13, 05:50 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually got lazy one weekend and was nearby the dealship and decided to try out their free "touchless" carwash that comes with owning a Lexus. Not only did i have to wait in a long *** line, but finally when it was my turn, it was just a guy with a soap bucket and a hose because the machine was "broken". So ever since then I said never again. I only wash my baby
Old 10-07-13, 06:05 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tape paper with "DO NOT WASH" to all my windows when i take my car in for maintenance.
Old 10-07-13, 06:14 PM
kdm
Pole Position

I guess I'll have to dampen the microfiber cloth a bit and spray it with a mist of water to avoid scratching.

OK, I guess NO dealership wash Good to see that everyone takes good care of their cars.
Old 10-08-13, 02:58 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always cringe at the idea of the dealership washing my car, might as well throw out the 8 hrs i spent polishing the damn car! haha
Old 10-08-13, 04:15 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After I did the first scheduled "checkup" at 1500km (and subsequent car wash) which was provided free at the dealer, I picked it up and went straight to work. At work I found 2 nasty-looking gashes on the side of my rear bumper. Took pics and called the dealer. They denied doing it. I complained some more. They relented and agree to fix it, but whined at every step, kept insinuating that I did it but didn't notice it. But luckily it turns out the gashes weren't that deep and the bodyshop just buffed it out.

Then for the first real maintenance with oil change, I went to a different dealership and told them no wash. Since then I've only taken my car to my regular mechanic for maintenance.
Old 10-08-13, 04:29 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CUTigers
depends how nice your paint is... I let them do my Obsidian because the paint was far from perfect when I bought it. ... If my paint was in better shape, dealer wouldnt touch mine.
Totally agree. If your paint is MINT then hell no. If it's "used" then it's fine. I've never had a dealer screw-up my paint but they certainly feel that washing a car is a such a perk for the customer that the quality doing so is irrelevant.

But with a black car...they require so much care that I would suggest just asking them to not wash it.

My car had loads of rock chips when I bought (which got me the great deal ) so I could care less who washes it or how. At this point for me, clean is clean. But white is almost un-noticeable clean or not... Black is a COMPLETELY different story.
Old 10-08-13, 05:59 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

My coworker had his Obsidian IS350 F Sport worked on at a dealership, they washed it and when he got it back, there were water spots all of it. He mentioned it to the service manager and they gave him a loaner, paid a professional detail company, and delivered his car on a flat bed to our work. That's pretty nuts!
Old 10-08-13, 06:01 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never ..ever. Although the first time I took it in I didn't realize they wash your car unless you tell them not to so it happened once. Luckily I have MM so swirls are pretty hard to see.

Quick Reply: Do you trust dealership car wash?