IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Navigation screen frozen (touch screen not working)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 12:28 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Navigation screen frozen (touch screen not working)

Hey guys, well it just happened to me... any suggestions to get it fixed? I am out of warranty.....
Old 10-06-13, 05:58 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would try the dealer to see if they would fix it for free or give you a discount first...if they can't do anything for you then u have options. either take the unit out and ship it or send it to an electronic shop to get it fix.
Old 10-07-13, 07:31 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i would try the dealer to see if they would fix it for free or give you a discount first...if they can't do anything for you then u have options. either take the unit out and ship it or send it to an electronic shop to get it fix.

thx, i will give them a call today....

I looked on ebay and noticed that they sell the replacement screens. Also noticed how to fix these types of issues... i might end up fixing this myself if Dealer would charge me for this...
Old 10-07-13, 07:44 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
thx, i will give them a call today....

I looked on ebay and noticed that they sell the replacement screens. Also noticed how to fix these types of issues... i might end up fixing this myself if Dealer would charge me for this...
fixing it yourself would be better. hardest part is getting the ac vents out.
Old 10-07-13, 10:43 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

fixing it yourself would be better. hardest part is getting the ac vents out.
yeap... the AC vents is quite easy... i have taken it off before...

The part i tried to avoid was taking the unit apart.. The Dealer said if you have an "Existence" issue, you will not qualify for the extended warranty & it will not be covered... because they do an inspection before giving it to you....
Old 10-08-13, 06:52 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
yeap... the AC vents is quite easy... i have taken it off before...

The part i tried to avoid was taking the unit apart.. The Dealer said if you have an "Existence" issue, you will not qualify for the extended warranty & it will not be covered... because they do an inspection before giving it to you....
don't let them scare you. if you have experience in taking apart pc, video game consoles, cell phones. the navi is a piece of cake. from my understanding is that once your out of warranty ur screwed anyways. if anything happens either go aftermarket or get a used one, its better then shelling out 3k plus labor for a brand new one from the dealer. hopefully they covered you with good will or give you a discount. if not you still have options.
Old 10-08-13, 08:03 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I could bring myself to swapping in aftermarket equipment into an F.
Old 10-08-13, 09:29 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aristo300
I don't think I could bring myself to swapping in aftermarket equipment into an F.
well that is personal opinions but the only reason why I have it really is for the backup camera other then that my phone can handle the navigation. i think there are some people out there that prefer aftermarket.

good luck on your F hunting...
Old 10-08-13, 09:49 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't let them scare you. if you have experience in taking apart pc, video game consoles, cell phones. the navi is a piece of cake. from my understanding is that once your out of warranty ur screwed anyways. if anything happens either go aftermarket or get a used one, its better then shelling out 3k plus labor for a brand new one from the dealer. hopefully they covered you with good will or give you a discount. if not you still have options.
Most of the time they will not force you to shell out the full price for a new navi screen. Most will provide some sort of discount while you pay labor. In my case I paid labor and they paid for the screen.

well that is personal opinions but the only reason why I have it really is for the backup camera other then that my phone can handle the navigation. i think there are some people out there that prefer aftermarket.

good luck on your F hunting...
The IS-F's navi is a little more than just navigation and back up camera (which mine has both already).. it monitors all the maintenance intervals, back up sensors (if you have it), bluetooth, and all all audio obviously. Theres not much an aftermarket navi can do that the stock one can't (other than provide superior audio quality), and IMO leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 10-08-13, 11:50 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Update... contacted Lexus Corp. & I told them my concern and also mentioned that i am not the only person with this issue... I also told them that this is a safety issue because i cannot control my climate rapidly.... (some said you can through voice commands) but i choose not too... they sent it out to claims manager to reveiw the case and let me know within 2 business days. the car is currently in the Dealer as they told me to take it in.. obviously the repair is 3k (which i knew) but i am trying to have this fixed by them.. I even told them that they should put out a bulletion (recall) on this because i am not the 1st to complain.. at this very moment i am driving a loaner they provided.. I suggest everyone with this issue to complain to them about it.. maybe they will resolve it faster... The lady told me in GOODWILL we will take care of it... just wait 2 business days to get contacted....

lets see the outcome of it...

EDIT: i am at 63k and contacted Jerry and he told me he cannot provide any warranty at that mileage is that true? (some of you guys went to him).
Old 10-08-13, 12:14 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

yes once your over the miles you can't get platinum or lexus extended warranty. good that they will do it for you out of goodwill. i think their are thousands of complaints already that has been file to corporate. mines is one of them.
Old 10-08-13, 12:18 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

yes once your over the miles you can't get platinum or lexus extended warranty. good that they will do it for you out of goodwill. i think their are thousands of complaints already that has been file to corporate. mines is one of them.
Weird my dealer is wanting 2500 for 12k miles coverage (platinum) but thats too much money to shed...

Yea, i am praying for a free bee here lol..
Old 10-08-13, 12:29 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFpat
The IS-F's navi is a little more than just navigation and back up camera (which mine has both already).. it monitors all the maintenance intervals, back up sensors (if you have it), bluetooth, and all all audio obviously. Theres not much an aftermarket navi can do that the stock one can't (other than provide superior audio quality), and IMO leaves a lot to be desired.
From what I understand you also lose the steering wheel control for audio and phone. This is probably one of the many downside to going aftermarket. I understand your opinion but for those who have to fork out 3k+ to get it replace, you have options.
Old 10-08-13, 12:30 PM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ good luck! I have 09 just wondering if this happen to anyone with 09 out there ?
Old 10-08-13, 12:33 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kteng7
^^^ good luck! I have 09 just wondering if this happen to anyone with 09 out there ?
Having issues with your screen?

Quick Reply: Navigation screen frozen (touch screen not working)