IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

KW V3, Figs noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 08:20 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default KW V3, Figs noise

Just lowered my car and getting a nice snapping clack noise (not a lower frequency clunk or thud) when driving at slower speeds on say undulating roads. Certain types of speed bumps. Curbs.

I can reproduce it by swerving to the right aggressively. Noise doesn't occur when doing the same thing opposite direction. Varies in outright volume. Sometimes quiet. Sometimes louder. Always annoying.

Did the KW V3s, Figs race LCAs, toe links and bushings all at once. http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=162

Any input on what to check for would be appreciated. Hopefully this helps others out. Hopefully it's install error.

TIA
Old 09-21-13, 08:59 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I just had my KW V3 install with similar symptoms that you have.
Install error for me; however, I did not get any Figs suspension components so I cannot comment on that.
The rubber spacers in the rear strut towers were not installed...
Old 09-21-13, 10:22 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm sounds like you should have done some more research on install or installer. This kind of problem makes me think amateur hour. Get it together. I always say stick with OEM. OEM is best andthis situation would have been avoided. These modding fools.
Old 09-21-13, 11:45 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yjk1975
hmmmm sounds like you should have done some more research on install or installer. This kind of problem makes me think amateur hour. Get it together. i always say stick with oem. Oem is best andthis situation would have been avoided. These modding fools.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-13, 12:17 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Just lowered my car and getting a nice snapping clack noise (not a lower frequency clunk or thud) when driving at slower speeds on say undulating roads. Certain types of speed bumps. Curbs.

I can reproduce it by swerving to the right aggressively. Noise doesn't occur when doing the same thing opposite direction. Varies in outright volume. Sometimes quiet. Sometimes louder. Always annoying.

Did the KW V3s, Figs race LCAs, toe links and bushings all at once. http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=162

Any input on what to check for would be appreciated. Hopefully this helps others out. Hopefully it's install error.

TIA
Here's one helpful info. I had a similar noise problem when I went with BC Racing coils. But I thought these damn cheap aftermarket coils. So I went back to OEM and problem solved. OEM is best. I would have thought the expensive KWV3 would be problem free. Wow, OEM is best.
Old 09-21-13, 12:23 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with OEM bro. In your own words:

Originally Posted by ROK
but my best rec is to stick with what F engineers put on there from a visual and functional standpoint. gl!
.......and you expect us to help you. LOL!
Old 09-21-13, 12:39 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same guy that ONLY YESTERDAY said all the info given on this forum from the other members is horrible and that this forum was the worst he's ever been on, is the same guy asking for help from other owners who modded their cars. The irony is unbelievable hahaha

Shoulda stuck with OEM buddy!! Are you trying to tell us the KWv3 is BETTER THEN a thousand japanese engineering man hours at the track?! Seems sacrilegious!!! Im going to go out on a limb and say maybe you should personally PM members for help, we're only a CLICK AWAY!!!!
Old 09-22-13, 08:42 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

There are many things that can cause the clunk and the typical one ( for our parts) is misaligned rod ends during install. The second which has happened with BC is the lack or torque on the center nut causing the crush tube to ram into the washers on suspension compression. Because the KW's reuse the factory upper hats, the crush tube and rubber spacer stack need to reassembled the same way they came off.

Regarding OEM vs aftermarket Lexus tends to sub everything out and they are far from perfect. This is easily demonstrated by the various changes made to this vehicles shocks, springs and suspension geometry. In the end a monotube damper from SACH's is on the latest iteration which is not unlike the BC BR that we have suggested since 2008, with the exception that the BR is adjustable, and you can get them custom sprung for your driving style.

The OEM is bound by many more constraints and cost is certainly one of them. No matter what they have choose to stick with one setting to offer the mass public and their expected audience/customer base. This is also due to the fact that they do not have an adjustment system offered, electronic or otherwise to mitigate or cater to customer fringe preferences. Regardless of what they found on the track, they still had to hit the chopping block when it came to features and cost, after all "ideal" has a diverse definition when it comes to customers and performance.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions