IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

California Smog Check Official thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 10:54 PM
sectorz33
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute!.. you can pass smog check with I/h/E?! All it has to do is not have the CEL. That's blastfumy.. I want to know about this shop because I'm about to throw money at him.
Old 04-24-17, 06:24 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sectorz33
Wait a minute!.. you can pass smog check with I/h/E?! All it has to do is not have the CEL. That's blastfumy.. I want to know about this shop because I'm about to throw money at him.

has as anyone passed smog with an rr racing tune with I/H/E or gutted cats. Thanks
Old 04-24-17, 06:53 PM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just passed mine in San Jose.

Car has Borla & RR Racing Bazooka tips.
Old 04-24-17, 08:06 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems like secondary cat removal doesn't affect the cars ability to pass smog but the primary cat removal, gut or header route does and this may lead to failing smog.
Old 05-01-17, 10:14 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Gut or header route does if you're throwing the CEL, otherwise if the guy doesn't know what he's looking at (visual inspection) and their scanner checks out okay (running an O2 emulator if you're catless) then you pass. That's at least what someone at a smog station told me very recently.

Originally Posted by Manh3
Seems like secondary cat removal doesn't affect the cars ability to pass smog but the primary cat removal, gut or header route does and this may lead to failing smog.
Old 05-01-17, 10:21 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gutting the headers would probably be the everyone's best bet because if you get an O2 sim and put the stock cat back on for smog checks I feel like you should pass easily
Old 05-27-17, 10:16 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Can someone PM me a shop in the 626 where they passed with I/H/E?
Thanks!
Old 05-27-17, 03:10 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
Gutting the headers would probably be the everyone's best bet because if you get an O2 sim and put the stock cat back on for smog checks I feel like you should pass easily
this is the route i went down. i considered headers, but cost of headers plus paying to swap back to stock and back to aftermarket headers every 2 years is a costly venture.
Old 05-28-17, 11:01 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by empathy
this is the route i went down. i considered headers, but cost of headers plus paying to swap back to stock and back to aftermarket headers every 2 years is a costly venture.
I don't think anyone that goes headers ever swaps back for smog 😂
Old 06-22-17, 08:53 AM
sucabstunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With aftermarket headers removing the primary cats, you hope to get lucky and that the Smog tech does not do thorough visual check.
Old 06-22-17, 03:55 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

The key here without cats is A) not having a check engine light w/o2 'Ready" and/or B) having a visual friendly tech.

The PPE o2 conditioner feeds the o2 sensors good false data and therefore they will 'Ready' state. If the car was tuned with a flash and the o2's disabled then you wouldnt get a light either, but the SMOG computer would see the o2 sensors as in a 'Not Ready' state and trigger an auto fail.
I think, that if you guys with IHE had to smog, swap in the midpipe with the two factory cats and you should be cool with a visual and technical. The reason being is the cats in the mid pipe would be visual to a mirror check and the header cats are hardly seen to begin with. The electronic o2 conditioner will take care of the o2 sensors, I wouldnt trust the mechanical o2 anti foulers. Fact is if you own PPE headers they include the o2 conditioner as a solder in part to the ecu wiring.
Its been a while but sikky headers electronic o2 unit was a simulator instead of conditioner, similar to turning off the o2's from reading. The main trick here is that the o2 sensors need to be tricked into 'Ready' when the state computer reads them from the OBD2 port.

~Dv8
Old 06-22-17, 05:32 PM
virulosity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting info. I am heavily considering doing the novel headers and they have mechanical o2 conditioners. Are you saying that I should also get the PPE conditioners to run on top of that? Does RR racing have a tune that leaves the o2 lines open so that they can display ready?
Old 06-23-17, 10:50 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by virulosity
This is interesting info. I am heavily considering doing the novel headers and they have mechanical o2 conditioners. Are you saying that I should also get the PPE conditioners to run on top of that? Does RR racing have a tune that leaves the o2 lines open so that they can display ready?
Well, see if the mechanical antifoulers/simulators work for you. If not you gotta make a few phone calls. Will Novel headers fit the stock mid pipes? Just be aware you dont want any of the o2s to be turned 'OFF' in the tune when going to test.

~Dv8
Old 06-24-17, 02:26 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
I recently smogged my ISF with gutted cats and rr-racing tune in CA. It pass smog through the obd.
Are you using PPE conditioners, SIKKY simulators or did you select your tune to eliminate the O2 cel?

Last edited by Rossi; 06-24-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 02:44 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
The key here without cats is A) not having a check engine light w/o2 'Ready" and/or B) having a visual friendly tech.

The PPE o2 conditioner feeds the o2 sensors good false data and therefore they will 'Ready' state. If the car was tuned with a flash and the o2's disabled then you wouldnt get a light either, but the SMOG computer would see the o2 sensors as in a 'Not Ready' state and trigger an auto fail.
So selecting the option to eliminate the O2 cel with RRR tune would automatically fail the obd test, is that for sure?
if I am understanding this correctly, with any headers (PPE, SIKKY, NOVEL) the key is to use conditioners to pass the OBD test, I noticed RR Racing sells conditioners on their website, any difference between those and PPE ones? In the Sikky V2 installation video, James used conditioner so I think Sikky is now also going with conditioners not simulators.

Last edited by Rossi; 06-24-17 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread