IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 09:51 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?

We see lots of threads and stuff about the comparisons...but do we have any owners here that have actually gone from a german performance car to the IS F?

Not a 328i (or even a 335i), C300, or any of that crap, but I'm wondering if anyone here has owned a BMW M3/M5, Audi S4/RS4, Mercedes C63, etc....

I'm looking at possibly getting an Audi S7 or maybe RS5...or maybe it's time to just make the jump and get a Porsche 911...which can't be put in the same league as all these other german cars as Porsche has almost as high of a reliability rating as Lexus. Lexus and Porsche are #1 and #2 respectively...Audi is #23. This information is based off of JD Power 2013 manufacture ratings...

For the most part, my IS F has been bullet proof and the horror stories for BMW is insane...but I haven't done much research on an Audi...thoughts?

Last edited by Just F Me; 08-11-13 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm confused. So you're question is whether anyone here has gone from AMG/M/RS to F, but then you yourself are going from a F to Audi??
Old 08-11-13, 10:13 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

people online tend to make it an either/or proposition. black/gray. this one's better so the other one sucks.

the cars you listed all have their place. s7 is a bigger mid-sized sedan. the rs5 is a gt coupe. the 911 oozes motorsport/heritage that none of the other cars possess. each owner can't be faulted for their choice(s).

speaking from someone who has owned an e46 m3 back when it was the hot thing, once you become a 911 owner (had two so far), you've pretty much arrived. it's a car that is timeless. you can be a retired ceo and roll around in a 911 and it looks right. the following, partner ecosystem, fanbase is rather astounding compared to other makes/models.

though even the base carrera is more capable and special feeling than the commuter chassis based M/AMG/F cars, the 911 gt3 has a dry sump engine with titanium con-rods and shares essentially the same block with its race cars. none of the car vehicles you mentioned can make this claim. the 911 is a race car dumbed down for the streets. the F/AMG/M car is the commuter sedan pumped up for the streets.

with that said, for me personally, while my 911 gt3 is really cool to drive (raw, mean, sounds crazy as-is), the ISF has been just as fun to own. i admire toyota engineering, its F1 affiliation with the yamaha team in the dev of the isf, as well as their attention to detail which results in a supremely reliable vehicle (oft overlooked by pro reviewers and owners alike). when i owned the M3, i felt the same way about BMW's M division.

pick your poison, but the 911 is king imho. get as many interesting cars as your budget allows!
Old 08-11-13, 10:24 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm confused. So you're question is whether anyone here has gone from AMG/M/RS to F, but then you yourself are going from a F to Audi??
Not sure what' the confusion is about.....? I'm considering going from an F to a S7/RS5...but perhaps someone that has gone from that side of the fence to this side has reason why it's not good to do it... So I'm confused why you don't understand this?

ROK...I agree with everything you said... I just feel kinda bored with my IS F. Modding it won't do a thing for me. I was hoping to get a 997.2 911GT3 RS by the end of this year, but it's most likely going to happen at the end of next year if things go as planned.... I'm just really itching to get something new as the IS F is becoming a bore to me. Of course if I pick up an Audi, I won't be getting the Porsche.

Last edited by Just F Me; 08-11-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 10:37 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Not sure what' the confusion is about.....? I'm considering going from an F to a S7/RS5...but perhaps someone that has gone from that side of the fence to this side has reason why it's not good to do it... So I'm confused why you don't understand this?

ROK...I agree with everything you said... I just feel kinda bored with my IS F. Modding it won't do a thing for me. I was hoping to get a 997.2 911GT3 RS by the end of this year, but it's most likely going to happen at the end of next year if things go as planned.... I'm just really itching to get something new as the IS F is becoming a bore to me. Of course if I pick up an Audi, I won't be getting the Porsche.
if you're bored with the ISF, youre going to be bored with anything audi save for perhaps the R8 which i'm not into as it has zero pedigree.

get the 911 GT3. prices are going up. your audis are going to tank just like the AMG models. i want the 991 gt3 bad.
Old 08-11-13, 10:59 AM
SunnyD09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned both a BMW Z4 M Coupe and E60 M5 prior to owning the F...what did you want to know? Reliability of both were fine when I owned them; I had more problems with my 135 when tuned (misfires, etc.). I think the reliability of turbo BMWs is something to worry about...makes me sad that M cars are now all turboed.
Old 08-11-13, 11:39 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part, my IS F has been bullet proof and the horror stories for BMW is insane...but I haven't done much research on an Audi...thoughts?
Coming from the dude who's transmission went out on him hahahah
Old 08-11-13, 11:49 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SunnyD09
I've owned both a BMW Z4 M Coupe and E60 M5 prior to owning the F...what did you want to know? Reliability of both were fine when I owned them; I had more problems with my 135 when tuned (misfires, etc.). I think the reliability of turbo BMWs is something to worry about...makes me sad that M cars are now all turboed.
Did you have the e60 M5 with in the first few years of it being new? Those V10s are horrendous reliability now and expensive to fix all the time. Can get that car now for cheap cheap.
Old 08-11-13, 01:18 PM
gshyu
Rookie

I won't add much to this thread as I haven't driven any of the performance models you listed. I drove a 335, and now I shudder whenever I hear the BMW "gong".
Old 08-11-13, 01:33 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.... If you ever feel bored with ISF, then the next one would be the Porsche 911 (997 & up). Why bother w/ others sedan platform again seriously?! Obviously one got to know the history about Porsche 911 series to truly appreciate the class of this car.

Last edited by ISF350; 08-11-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 02:08 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Owned a 08 m3 had the rear diff replaced at 40k miles... Enough said
Old 08-11-13, 02:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Because your thread title is a bit misleading "German performance - > Japanese performance convert" when reality is your going Japanese to German. Easy to see how it can be misconstrued
Old 08-11-13, 02:11 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

used to have a e46 m3 with the smg transmission, honestly liked it better car for car then the isf.. handling and throttle response were superb. I've driven my friends a5 multiple times and that car is very smooth and handles really well due to the awd. But both those cars have reliablity issues, but since BMW has free waranty for the first 3 years its not a bad route either, we picked up the new f30 bmw and with tunes and stuff the car is killer fast and handling is great. Anyways it all depends what youre looking for, you cant want an rs7 that comfortably fits 5 then want a gt3 thatll fit two. If you're looking for a driving car then 991 gt3 all the way, you won't regret it for sure. I know someone that had the 911 gt3 then bought a lambo and he said nothing beats the porsche.. But if you're looking for a rs7 type of car, m5 all the way, when you drive it you'll be surprised. This paragraph is a lot of nonsense. LOL. but the main point is 1. porsche 2. bmw. 3. audi. Porsche has great reliability now !

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-11-13, 02:32 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

We see lots of threads and stuff about the comparisons...but do we have any owners here that have actually gone from a german performance car to the IS F?
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Because your thread title is a bit misleading "German performance - > Japanese performance convert" when reality is your going Japanese to German. Easy to see how it can be misconstrued
See the very first question above....

WHO CARES WHAT I'M DOING....I just want to hear from the people that HAVE HAD German performance cars and now drive something like the IS F Gonna stop replying to you...lol

Originally Posted by zapa
Coming from the dude who's transmission went out on him hahahah
That's why i said "for the most part". When you consider the fact that the transmission going out was the only issue I had in 87,000 miles and even though it cost me $4000, that's not bad considering what BMWs owners go through.
Old 08-11-13, 02:32 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

To quote you, "just get the Porsche already."

Seriously though, I think that's the next step. If I'm getting a car to upgrade from the ISF, I'm looking at Porsche. The thing is, I need four doors and some utility at this stage in my family life, so the Porsche I want is not practical for me. If I didn't have young kids, I'd definitely go that route. The ISF (and maybe the GSF if/when it is built) provides guys like me with the fun, performance, reliability, AND practicality that I need. I like the looks and on-paper performance numbers of several of the German performance sedans, but I don't see how that would be much of a step up from where you are now with your ISF.

So, just get the Porsche.

Quick Reply: German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?