IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C63 owner about to convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 09:40 PM
jordanaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C63 owner about to convert

Guys-

First post, just registered. Let me say hey to everyone. I hope I get what I need here.

The C63 forum is one of the most loyal and busiest I've seen and been on.

Anyway, to the point. I am a C63 owner, on my second one, but am thinking HARD about coming over here to the ISF. I just wrecked my C63 and the insurance company totaled it. I'm okay and it was really no big deal, but the parts list amounted to a total loss. I am now in need of a new vehicle. I instantly started looking for another 63, but decided to look elsewhere.

Long story short, when I began my search for a new car back when I got my first C63, I intended on a IS 350. But I ended up with a Merc. Have always liked them. I have been seeing the same ISF around town and I am interested. Also, a buddie on the C63 side has an ISF too and he has got me a little pumped. I had some serious mods on both my 63's. So, I'm into modding and fast, mean vehicles.

What should I know to get me into an ISF? What are the goodies? What is the aftermarket scene like and what is possible(I realize anything is possible)? Headers? Tune? Springs/coil overs? If anyone wants to help with some info about the ISF, yes I have been through many sticky pages and threads already, that would be great. Anyone want to help me convert from the C63 to the ISF, help me out. I kinda like it, just need some help.

Thanks! And cannot wait to test drive one. I have to drive to San Antonio from Austin to test drive, so it won't be for a week or so.
Old 08-02-13, 10:00 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

1st Welcome to CL and here is everything you wanna hear and from ISF's members check this link out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...re-owners.html
Old 08-02-13, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to clublexus! sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are ok

making isf faster is not as easy. i don't know what mods you had on the c63, but chipping that car is easy and quite a few companies supporting. you can forget about chips on the isf (or lexus for that matter). exhaust and headers and pipes can help but no tuning / chips. lowering and other cosmetic stuff there are plenty of them imho

another thing to consider is the isf is stopped i think, coz' the new body style is out so the next (new) isf will be here next year i think. if you get the car now (assume you can find a new one or if you get used one), it will become previous generation soon
Old 08-02-13, 10:08 PM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by rominl
welcome to clublexus! sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are ok

making isf faster is not as easy. i don't know what mods you had on the c63, but chipping that car is easy and quite a few companies supporting. you can forget about chips on the isf (or lexus for that matter). exhaust and headers and pipes can help but no tuning / chips. lowering and other cosmetic stuff there are plenty of them imho

another thing to consider is the isf is stopped i think, coz' the new body style is out so the next (new) isf will be here next year i think. if you get the car now (assume you can find a new one or if you get used one), it will become previous generation soon
My C63 was "chipped"/tuned, carbon fiber airbox, headers, springs, carbon fiber lip and diffuser, LSD, light weight pulley

I have seen that there is a new model coming out, but thought it was only the coupe. I'm looking for a sedan. Is it a new style across the board? Rumors are there will be a V8?

I do not mind driving a 2012/2013, even if a new style comes out. I'm kinda getting in to the ISF now.
Old 08-02-13, 11:43 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your car, take it as an opportunity!
My personal opinion: the ISF is an amazing car, a dream car.
Biggest pro: reliability. I can beat on the car for night and day constantly and I can say with confidence that the car does not overheat or crumble in any way. Constant spirited-driving has never compromised reliability for 15k+ miles and counting.
Other pros: rarity, performance, engine sound, luxury.
Only con: aftermarket availability. Besides headers, exhaust, intake elbow, coils, tires...there isn't much for a USDM ISF. Regardless, I still cannot be more satisfied.
What appeals to me about the C63 merc is the torque and straight line speed (and styling of the newer coupe).
The C63 is surely faster than the ISF as well.

Regardless of any perks and pros the C63 has over the ISF, i am faithful to one of the only sport-inspired vehicles that Toyota/Lexus has made up to this day...lol
Old 08-02-13, 11:43 PM
Endgame
Driver

I am curious, how much more power did your C63 upgrades make?? there is one in my area that just sounds mean!
Old 08-03-13, 05:34 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

You'll see the same things repeated. We'd love to bring you to the "dark side" but if your thing is major tuning, you won't be happy. However, if you're okay with only certain mods, then ill go ahead and welcome you to the family!

When you decide to go with the F, shoot for anything 2011 and up. That is the current gen model with the Torsen LSD, the new style gauge cluster, and the updated suspension tuning. There may have been a few other minor tweaks, but those are the major ones.
Old 08-03-13, 06:46 AM
roswell
Pole Position

Welcome the forum Jordan, I'm Meng from mbworld... nice to see you here & hope you will find great infos on the ISF here.

Well, as I told you over emails, no tune is possible on this car & aftermarket parts seems to be insanely expensive due to limited production I presume. For example, CF diffuser like Wald or Toms goes from 1500$ to 2000$ compared to our C63 diffusers you could get for 300$ to 1500$.

As JDMV8 said, you will not find the low torque that we have on the C63, but the ISF is still fast & cant beat Lexus reliability. Good luck in the search of 1.
Old 08-03-13, 06:53 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roswell
Welcome the forum Jordan, I'm Meng from mbworld... nice to see you here & hope you will find great infos on the ISF here.

Well, as I told you over emails, no tune is possible on this car & aftermarket parts seems to be insanely expensive due to limited production I presume. For example, CF diffuser like Wald or Toms goes from 1500$ to 2000$ compared to our C63 diffusers you could get for 300$ to 1500$.

As JDMV8 said, you will not find the low torque that we have on the C63, but the ISF is still fast & cant beat Lexus reliability. Good luck in the search of 1.
Says the person with an AMG lol. i could spend $10k in about 30 seconds on 2 or 3 items from Renntech. 2k tune, 3k CF intakes, 3k+ exhaust, CF aero package 12k, headers 3500.

Cheapest AMS package is 10k+. ( headers, exhaust, tune)
Old 08-03-13, 07:03 AM
roswell
Pole Position

^^ LOL, yeah performance mods on the C63 can add up the bills pretty quickly.

I was more referring on the cosmetic part of the car.
Old 08-03-13, 07:56 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want what is probably the hottest and best overall Japanese sedan on the market, get the IS-F.

You'll get awesome performance without all of the Germany garage time. The car is a beast.

I will never go back to German cars.
Old 08-03-13, 08:24 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by Endgame
I am curious, how much more power did your C63 upgrades make?? there is one in my area that just sounds mean!

The C63 can end up pushing ridiculous numbers. Of course, it can also push ridiculous prices.

The C63, stock from factory pushes 451hp and about 400 to the rear wheels.

I put in about $6K or $7k into my C63 and ended up pushing almost 600 to the rear wheels. Been up on the dyno many times.

Quite an improvement. It was also very fun to do the mods. The thing was a beast and there was still plenty of room to go. Also, plenty of more money to be spent and sunk into my car. I miss both of them. There are just so many products and mods to do. If you go to a company called Weistec, you can easily spend $20K+. Basically the price of a whole other car.
Old 08-03-13, 08:24 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001
If you want what is probably the hottest and best overall Japanese sedan on the market, get the IS-F.

You'll get awesome performance without all of the Germany garage time. The car is a beast.

What he said.
50,000 KM on a 5 series in the shop every 2-3 weeks for repetitive garbage.
M Roadster with 30,000KM in the shop for repair and several time after for nonsense.
Lexus IS-F with 67,000km in the shop for repair-NEVER

I don't think I'd ever go back to German either even if the repairs are free just due to the inconvenience of making appointments and getting the work done. Total pain in the ***.
Old 08-03-13, 08:55 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
You'll see the same things repeated. We'd love to bring you to the "dark side" but if your thing is major tuning, you won't be happy. However, if you're okay with only certain mods, then ill go ahead and welcome you to the family!

When you decide to go with the F, shoot for anything 2011 and up. That is the current gen model with the Torsen LSD, the new style gauge cluster, and the updated suspension tuning. There may have been a few other minor tweaks, but those are the major ones.
I'm not into major "tuning". I'm into performance and +/- speed. I would be fine with just a few mods. I'm curious, what kind of numbers have some of you guys seen? Especially with only the few mods available. Do all ISF's(speaking of the newer models) have an LSD or is that a package I should look for? I'm sure the interior kills the C63 in quality, looks, and comfort. Has anyone ever tried to tune the ECU? Anyone working on a tune or is it just not possible?

I will tell you that the only reason there are so many options and the C63 could be tuned was because Merc used the same 6.3L V8 engine across 4 different platforms, each powering different size and weight vehicles. So, each step the engine is detuned a little more at a time with the SLS topping out the scale, at least in engine output.

Originally Posted by roswell

Meng, glad to see I'm on the right forum. I have always respected your opinion and knowledge. As I'm a Toyota owner and both my mom and sister own Lexus, I am very familiar with the reliability. My 1997 Toyota Land Crusier is still in great shape and going strong. As an aside, there are many, many mods for the Landy. Well it seems the pricing that I'm looking at will somewhat even out with the ISF. The parts seems to be more expensive than the 63, but I will not be constantly eating and buying new tires. Seems I have replaced the rears at least three times a year. You hear that guys, THREE times a year. Ouch!!

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Says the person with an AMG lol. i could spend $10k in about 30 seconds on 2 or 3 items from Renntech. 2k tune, 3k CF intakes, 3k+ exhaust, CF aero package 12k, headers 3500.

Cheapest AMS package is 10k+. ( headers, exhaust, tune)
I know he's got an AMG, but also 2 Lexus. Yeah, there are so many mods for the C63, it's almost dizzying when you start researching for upgrades to the 63. Renntech is a great company and adds serious power to the C63.

Originally Posted by ISF001

I do agree. As I stated above, I am very familiar with the reliability of Toy/Lex. I have heard a few ISF go by, and the looks are pretty unique and the sound is pretty awesome as well.

The C63 was a beast, but completely agree about garage time. The few times I have had problems with the Merc's, they have been down and in the garage for weeks at a time. Sometimes parts weren't available, or there were minor issues with techs available and time to tweak the few mods. It has been challenging at times and really tested my patience.

The ISF is a limited production car, yes? How have you guys found parts availability or is that not usually an issue? I don't necessarily need the low end torque, but it will be missed. I really just want solid performance and occasionally some speed. I am very curious to test the handling on the ISF, as the C63 was just okay on cornering. I don't think I can truely push the car, unless the salesman will let me take it out alone.
Old 08-03-13, 09:35 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

welcome to the forums. ive always been a fan of the C63 but i owned an amg in the past and constant problems. i really wanted to get the c63 but chose the isf instead. im in love everyday i drive it. im at 96,000 miles and not a single problem. as far as modding..... intake elbow, drop in filter,headers and full exhaust is all thats available. hgmotorsports keeps saying they have a tune but ive almost given up on them. my friend tuned his F but its a jdm ecu. it wont work on ours. icode also has tuned theirs but again jdm ecu. ive raced a mild modded four door c63 and he couldnt touch me.kept up with a new 2013 lp560 gallardo,the list goes on. i have intake,headers and full exhaust. im very happy with the performance of my F so far.with a tune...this F would be a monster...its a little monster now

Quick Reply: C63 owner about to convert