IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C63 owner about to convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 09:39 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanaf
How are you guys getting such great gas milage? What is the displacement?

And what are the real number's of MPG that most of you are seeing? I use only 93 octane. You guys?
The F has a 5.0L V8.

Under the right conditions I would make over 27 MPG, but there's always the itch to just stomp on the gas and *poof* the MPG will come crashing down. So a more realistic average is about 20 MPG with highway and city driving combined. I also use 93 octane.

I have a throttle controller so it helps a little but all you need is to throw it into "snow" mode and drive granny-style while in D. But where's the fun in that lol.

I know you won't be disappointed with the ISF if you decide to go with it. It's very easy on maintenance and as everyone has said before me it's the perfect blend of luxury and performance.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-13, 10:28 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you very much for that clarification. I'll own up. I thought I did my research, but somehow I missed that. I did in fact think that it was a "factory tuned" 350. How are you guys getting such great gas milage? What is the displacement?

And what are the real number's of MPG that most of you are seeing? I use only 93 octane. You guys?
Among the V8s that came out all around the same time (M3, C63, S5 and ISF) the ISF gets the best gas mileage by far. I'm sure there's someone that can explain the technology behind this, but if you talk to anyone about the real world numbers they're seeing, the ISF routinely is the winner.

I think 20mpg in average mixed highway and city driving is realistic. My car's average is 19.7 since the last reset, which was at least 5000 miles ago. On a 200mi road trip, I can see 26-27mpg all day without even setting my cruise control. On my 11mi commute to work, if I take all "back roads" and no highway, I'll typically see 17-18ish. Like Boma said, if you stomp the gas all over the place, of course you're going to see single digit mpgs, but that's probably true for just about every car.
Old 08-05-13, 10:59 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you very much for that clarification. I'll own up. I thought I did my research, but somehow I missed that. I did in fact think that it was a "factory tuned" 350.
LOL... I know you just burned the retinas of every F owner in the forum with that one...lol.

The F is very different than any car Lexus has ever made.
Without referencing the current 2014 350 F-Sport. (and a touch of verbal advice for the future...please do not ever mistake an "F-Sport" for a true "F"... (we'll all go nuts in here and start a riot-LMAO)
The differences from an IS350 and ISF (2008-2013)

ISF Has
5.0L V8
8 speed Transmission
"Race" style bolstered Seats
Difference front and rear bumpers
different Springs
different Shocks(Tokico)
Brembo Brakes front and rear (larger frnt n rear rotor, cross drilled)
F is a 4 seater (not 5 seater like 350)
hood
front fenders
black headliner (not silver)
silver carbon fiber interior trim
larger anti-roll bars
wheels (light weight BBS forged)
exhaust
foot pedals
rear spoiler

( I think I got it all )
Old 08-05-13, 11:16 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

welcome to the forum. gas mileage: stop and go traffic, 16-17. highway w/ no traffic, over 20 easily. i'm in cali, so, 91 octane only. (there are some gas stations that sell 'race fuel' but not going to spend $11/gallon on it! lol)

like someone else said, make sure you switch to "Sport" mode before the test drive. also, driving around town in manual mode will, of course, yield lower mpg but it's more fun that way, esp w/ an exhaust. good luck!
Old 08-05-13, 11:19 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
LOL... I know you just burned the retinas of every F owner in the forum with that one...lol.

The F is very different than any car Lexus has ever made.
Without referencing the current 2014 350 F-Sport. (and a touch of verbal advice for the future...please do not ever mistake an "F-Sport" for a true "F"... (we'll all go nuts in here and start a riot-LMAO)
The differences from an IS350 and ISF (2008-2013)

ISF Has
5.0L V8
8 speed Transmission
"Race" style bolstered Seats
Difference front and rear bumpers
different Springs
different Shocks(Tokico)
Brembo Brakes front and rear (larger frnt n rear rotor, cross drilled)
F is a 4 seater (not 5 seater like 350)
hood
front fenders
black headliner (not silver)
silver carbon fiber interior trim
larger anti-roll bars
wheels (light weight BBS forged)
exhaust
foot pedals
rear spoiler

( I think I got it all )

Hey-

As I've demonstrated to you guys already, at least I'm fu@k!ng honest. Quite a good synopsis of the breakdown and difference. I always wanted aluminum foot pedals for my 63's and was actually quite shocked that they didn't come standard. For an AMG? MB nickles-and-dimes it's customers for every little thing. On a regular C-class, yes, but an AMG? Lexus gives you so much more, standard. It's kind of crazy the comparison difference.

I do have to call you out on one item. And that is, "The F is very different than any car Lexus has ever made." Really? What about the LFA? Now that holds true to the statement, but I get what you are saying. You are talking about of their affordable cars, lol.
Old 08-05-13, 11:57 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flame suite on!

c63 > ISF

E92 M3 > ISF

You'll thank me later lol
Old 08-05-13, 12:19 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Hey-

As I've demonstrated to you guys already, at least I'm fu@k!ng honest. Quite a good synopsis of the breakdown and difference. I always wanted aluminum foot pedals for my 63's and was actually quite shocked that they didn't come standard. For an AMG? MB nickles-and-dimes it's customers for every little thing. On a regular C-class, yes, but an AMG? Lexus gives you so much more, standard. It's kind of crazy the comparison difference.

I do have to call you out on one item. And that is, "The F is very different than any car Lexus has ever made." Really? What about the LFA? Now that holds true to the statement, but I get what you are saying. You are talking about of their affordable cars, lol.
I think porsche is the king of nickle and dime when it comes to building a car. I built a cayman S online the other week, 63k base, skyrocketed to 114k with the options I did. Pretty insane.

I get like 17.5-18.5 in pure city, stop sign to red light junk. Add in some highway here and there and its 19-20.. pure high way is mid 20s for me.

Technically the IS-F came out before the LFA .. even though they were designing the LFA forever lol

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
flame suite on!

c63 > ISF

E92 M3 > ISF

Prolly the dumbest comment in this whole thread that was pretty informative from everyone except you.
Old 08-05-13, 12:28 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Yes , I meant in 2008.
Old 08-05-13, 12:43 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
flame suite on!

c63 > ISF

E92 M3 > ISF

Well lets do this chart over

Repair costs and cost of ownership plus issues piling up as you own.
c63 > ISF
E92 M3 > ISF

I dont want to pay over $60K for a car that is not built to last
Old 08-05-13, 02:36 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I wonder how many of us would have still bought a lexus if MB and BMW were as bulletproof as our cars? Reliability and rarity were the 2 swaying factors when I decided on F over AMG or M.
Old 08-05-13, 03:17 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Well lets do this chart over

Repair costs and cost of ownership plus issues piling up as you own.
c63 > ISF
E92 M3 > ISF

I dont want to pay over $60K for a car that is not built to last
You do have a great point there!

I don't have much experience with the ISF as I do with the M3's or 335's. I manage the performance department here at a local BMW Dealership but as far as M3's go, as long as they're not supercharged they'll last a really long time no matter how much abuse you give it (just make sure it isn't an early 08). We have had a couple blown supercharged cars roll through here on tow trucks. Our performance service adviser actually came over from a Mercedes dealership where he mostly dealt with all the AMG cars and according to him... C63's suck! (his exact words, not mine).

I don't have an ISF but I have to admit that I can't complain at how well my AutoTragic IS250 has treated me after the many roadcourse track events I've put it through and I'm sitting at 128k miles. If the ISF is as reliable as my IS250 is then I would definitely pull the trigger on one. Good luck and excuse my first sarcastic post!
Old 08-05-13, 03:42 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Lots of people here left their 335s due to god awful reliability and limp mode on tracks.
Old 08-05-13, 04:28 PM
r45t4m4n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Lots of people here left their 335s due to god awful reliability and limp mode on tracks.
I'm looking to do the same, love the performance of the N54, but hate it's reliability. It's in the shop for the second time in two weeks now.
Old 08-05-13, 04:32 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r45t4m4n
I'm looking to do the same, love the performance of the N54, but hate it's reliability. It's in the shop for the second time in two weeks now.
Welcome to the F club
Old 08-05-13, 05:31 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Because people are lame. They want the best handling car, but they also want it to be comfortable so that you don't spill your latte on your way to work.
A suspension setup that is too rigid and stiff will upset the chassis, make the car unstable, and "zap" driver confidence. There's a reason why the 2011 is nearly 9 seconds a lap faster around VIR than the 2008's. I may not be a professional race car driver, but I still want that extra performance capability built into my car as a vote of confidence. It has nothing to do with spilling your latte. To quote motortrend:

Three years back, an IS F turned a less-than-impressive 3:14.0. We said then, “A little attention to springs and damping might make this eager contender a real champ,” as the stiffly sprung F zapped confidence in high-speed corners.

Boy, were we right. Lexus has since tweaked all suspension elements. Spring rates are down in the front and up in the rear, and there are larger anti-roll bars, stiffer subframe bushings, and longer bump stops, which effectively increase spring rates when the car is nearing its maximum roll angle. Lexus also lightened the front hubs and control arms and slapped a Torsen limited-slip differential in the rear axle. The result is BMW M3–matching performance around VIR (3:05.4).
The 2012 is rumored to be 3 seconds faster than that around VIR which is believable because Lexus went for a better tire and did additional tweaking to the suspension. The fact that Toyota/Lexus engineers are willing to improve the car a little bit each year in pursuit of perfection makes this a very special car. And to think there are fewer than 12,000 produced... I think a lot of German car owners looking for reliability in their car searching equation will eventually discover this car and its rarity will keep the resale value high.

Quick Reply: C63 owner about to convert