IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

20" wheel/tire fitment help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 05:21 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
You want aggressive drop with no gap, wider fitment PSS, and perfectly flush but refused to shave/roll your fenders. You can't have everything above!! How are you going to get away from hitting the fender lips, since they are still stock, when the suspension is compressed?????? Give up flush and "zero" gap if you don't want to mod your fenders, plain and simple!!
Seriously, people want everything but they don't know anything. This thread went 4 pages because the OP doesn't know how to properly lower his car and make it look good. I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, this guy is a JOKE.

Originally Posted by ROK
Because it's been done time and again (to state the obvious).

E46 M3 on 19" BBS LMs (IIRC 10.5s in the back). Carrera 4S 19x12s. GT3 19x12s. All lowered except the GT3 which is at the perfect height stock. No fenders nor trim alike molested. Why? To state the obvious, again, because widths, offsets and tire sizes were well thought out.

This isn't rocket science, though it sometimes felt like it with the ISF given how few people actually run properly fitting wheels since in the JDM crowd it feels like they're really into the "stanced" or poked out look with stretched tires. Just new to it all. Sorry if this is a bit off target for the group here.
Not every car's fender/quarter panel is built the same. Not every shock/spring rate is made the same. Not every suspension design is built the same. With that said, all of the above is relative ALONG with the wheel size to help clear all from rubbing. You CAN roll your fenders without it being molested if you do it properly. If our car's quarter panels and fenders have wide fender/QP lips like many econo cars have, then wide wheels will NOT clear them without rubbing. Also if you stare at other car's pictures all day and think "well this guy has a nice lowered car without messed up fenders, he must of just lowered it and not have to roll his fenders" then you are HORRIBLY mistaken. Most of the time you can NOT tell if a person has rolled fenders from a picture.

Seriously, if you DONT roll your fenders, DONT potentially relocate your bumper screws, DONT lower your car with proper stiff spring rates, DONT have matching dampers to control your spring rate correctly and DONT have sizes that properly fit thats flush, then you WILL POTENTIALLY rub while cornering. Plain and simple.

If you can't handle all of the above then don't do it. No one here wants to hold your hand while you figure out what the f*** size you want for wheels then find out you need to roll your fenders then cry to us that we gave you the wrong specs for wheels. Seriously, you're a grown man.. go to your car, get out a measuring tape and figure it out yourself. I did and I'm getting my wheels in a few weeks and you'll see what real fitment is without needing anyones help.

Last edited by ISFpat; 08-14-13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 05:34 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure how many ways i can slice it but as i've stated, i've run upsized aftermarket wheels on every single car i've owned, lowered with adjustable coilovers and never had to touch, mod, cut or roll any fender/trim. zero rubbing.

i guess i just know what i'm doing? for sure you guys know i like to ask a lot of questions.
Old 08-14-13, 05:40 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
not sure how many ways i can slice it but as i've stated, i've run upsized aftermarket wheels on every single car i've owned, lowered with adjustable coilovers and never had to touch, mod, cut or roll any fender/trim. zero rubbing.

i guess i just know what i'm doing? for sure you guys know i like to ask a lot of questions.
You don't know what you're doing. You know how to ask for help and have someone on a forum hold your hand through the whole process. We could of easily steered you the wrong direction and made you get a 20x11 wheel with 20 offset if we wanted to play games with you.

If you knew what you were doing you'd do what i said all along, go get a measuring tape and measure the distance from the nearest suspension component long with the distance to your fender/QP and figure it out yourself. It's a math game and you apparently don't know any of it.

Last edited by ISFpat; 08-14-13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 05:57 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Because it's been done time and again (to state the obvious).
REALLY?????? Where will the squared tires go when the suspension is compressed if you are "flush" with the fenders?????? It's simple logic we are talking about here. Please show me pictures of what you are talking about. Because your term of "flush" might not be very flush at all, which is still okay! Everyone is different. That's why we mod our cars to our own liking.
Old 08-14-13, 06:18 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

i appreciate all the input. i'm just glad that my thread can help someone else who has my eye for fitment and same driving reqs.

-not cutting, trimming anything
-lowered for a nice hunkered down look, but not slammed
-as close stock camber settings as possible for better wear esp the rear tires
-non-stretched tires with rim part poking out
-zero rubbing full lock, compression

pls don't hesitate to send me a PM for the discerning few to save you some time via my effort. beware: lots of dj no clues out there

Last edited by ROK; 08-14-13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 07:27 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
There's no way this sucker hasn't been rolled or trimmed (11" ET52 on 295s)

Appreciate the feedback, but this is just too aggressive or flush in my eyes so going to stick with these specs:

20x9 ET39, 245/30 MPSS
20x10.5 ET49, 285/25 MPSS
This is my car...et52 rear. Here is my experience.
20x11 et52

Tire options
Nitto 305/25/20 - 100% requires shaving or cutting of fender lips if you are lowered (stock height will likely rub as well)

Michelin SuperSports 295/25/20 - 100% requires shaving or cutting. The SuperSports in 295 are as wide as the 305 Nittos.

You may be able to get away with et52 with a Nitto 295/25/20 since they run narrower but may a slight stretch look. The 295 SuperSports are wide and fit nice and square, but even with my cut fender lips, its is VERY close (as in...you can barely fit a credit card between tire and fender).

It is currently as flush as you can get with no rubbing and the car is low. A good body shop can cut the lips, touch them up so you don't get any rust issues down the line and it will look factory if done well.

Good luck
Old 08-14-13, 07:38 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is what the 295 Michelin looks like on the et52 wheel

Hope it helps...
Old 08-14-13, 08:38 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Why cut it too close with +52 when you can go +55? Its only now I am chiming in because I have a different set of tires the OP is planning to use. Also I have my fenders rolled because of a previous set of wheels.
To the OP, not only do you have to think about the rear fenders but you also have to make sure your front fender liners do not rub when backing up.
My set up of +45 front (9) and +55 (11) rears are so far rub and headache free.
Old 08-14-13, 09:43 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ like the look of the michelins they do run wider than my nittos that's for sure
Old 08-15-13, 08:38 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

lex, the reason why is there's the inside of the wheel well to consider. and like i said clearly in my reqs for the other folks, i want zero rubbing and the assumption is forward or backward.

murph, yes, as i had mentioned, the PSSs are fat tires by my experience. definitely chubbier than the very square and not very rain friendly michelin pilot sport cups that came with my other car from factory. tires are more important than wheel fitment to me and imho, the PSSs are the best street tires for grip/handling on the market today. period.

hyboost: big help with the visuals and offset figures. now we're talking!

long story short, dumped Work for their lack of ISF spec expertise and called up HRE. they knew EXACTLY what I was looking for. plus US based. plus 6 week wait time v 10+. spending more on them, but now justified given my situation.

btw, any idea how much the stock forged BBS wheels weigh for the wider 2012+? probably mid 20s i'm guessing? thx.

Last edited by ROK; 08-15-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-15-13, 12:18 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ which HRE model are you planning on getting?
Old 08-15-13, 07:32 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

^ Yeah, which HRE model are you going for? No need to explain about the fender liners as HRE will make sure there is no rubbing for sure. Good call on the change.
Old 08-15-13, 08:37 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

i'll debut it when it's all done up thx gents