IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Acceleration slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 03:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

never felt what is being described but even though I am in AZ I still warm up my car. I like to drive it hard so I usually wait until the oil temp comes up a bit
Old 02-26-14, 05:11 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yjk1975
I have a 2012. It does not do this.
Ditto here. I do not experience this at all.
Old 02-27-14, 12:02 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 2012 and live on the top of a hill. i get this also when the motor is cold. I think it is common on the isf
Old 02-27-14, 10:30 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it's the temp. My 08 does it when cold.
Old 02-28-14, 03:11 AM
SatComm302
Driver

My service appointment is next Tuesday, and I'll be meeting with my SA and the head tech. I'm leaving it for a couple of days so they can take a look at it. I'll keep you updated.

For those of you thinking this is normal, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, after going through this with my ES, it is anything but normal.
Old 02-28-14, 05:44 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nsx042003
i think it's the temp. My 08 does it when cold.
It was 10F this morning. Yup, a little slip like usual
Old 02-28-14, 06:44 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This still occurs, even when I'm completely warmed up. It seems to happen the most when I'm accelerating off of a hill (down hill) or when I'm in stop and go traffic. I'd like to think that it's normal, but it still bothers the hell out of me.
Old 02-28-14, 07:39 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
This still occurs, even when I'm completely warmed up. It seems to happen the most when I'm accelerating off of a hill (down hill) or when I'm in stop and go traffic. I'd like to think that it's normal, but it still bothers the hell out of me.
Same here. I think people who drive in stop and go traffic would notice it more. I do about 90 percent of my driving in stop and go traffic in NYC. I specially notice it a lot when I'm going down hill at one of the bridges in stop and go traffic. Sometimes I switch it to manual crossing the bridge. I think it's normal though since a lot of people are reporting the same behavior.
Old 02-28-14, 12:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Originally Posted by jat0223
Same here. I think people who drive in stop and go traffic would notice it more. I do about 90 percent of my driving in stop and go traffic in NYC. I specially notice it a lot when I'm going down hill at one of the bridges in stop and go traffic. Sometimes I switch it to manual crossing the bridge. I think it's normal though since a lot of people are reporting the same behavior.
If you're still under warranty, take your cars to Lexus for a fluid level inspection. This does not happen with my car when it is warm, only when it is cold.
Old 03-03-14, 08:10 AM
Ftime
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After playing with my F trying to reproduce and succeeding a few times and paying attention to the perceived slip, I found out what is happening, on my car anyway. As I coast down the driveway letting off for the bump
the car is at a speed just before it wants to shift to second, but not quite there so I get a little higher rpm holding in first when I hit the accelerator that felt like a momentary slip, but it isn't. It is just a higher rpm then it shifts to second with a little higher rpm. If I go a little faster or slower, it doesn't happen. 15K and no issues.

Last edited by Ftime; 03-03-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 08:16 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember that we also have a lockable converter, so that behavior needs to be considered also.
Old 03-04-14, 08:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Remember that we also have a lockable converter, so that behavior needs to be considered also.
Unless you are in manual mode, lockup almost never happens. There's a whole big piece on it in the New Car Features explaining the lockup behavior. In D it just almost never locks up.
Old 03-07-14, 04:47 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Originally Posted by SatComm302
My service appointment is next Tuesday, and I'll be meeting with my SA and the head tech. I'm leaving it for a couple of days so they can take a look at it. I'll keep you updated.

For those of you thinking this is normal, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, after going through this with my ES, it is anything but normal.
I had an interesting transmission episode this past weekend where I was in "D" and pulled out into traffic and had to get on it a bit to distance myself from oncoming cars. As the tranny went through second to third gear, it hung in second and the RPMs increased to around 3,500 to 4,000 without a shift for 3 to 5 seconds. I let off the accelerator and as the RPMs decreased, the tranny finally shifted into third gear. The car was at normal operating temperatures since I'd been driving for a half hour, or so. This is the first time this has happened to me. Definitely something weird going on that I need to get checked out.

I had to delay the dealership visit to investigate my transmission issues. A raccoon decided to perform a "suicide by car" with my wife driving with the front bumper and lower grill taking the brunt of the damage. I've got it in the shop for repairs and it should be out next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 03-07-14, 06:47 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I had an interesting transmission episode this past weekend where I was in "D" and pulled out into traffic and had to get on it a bit to distance myself from oncoming cars. As the tranny went through second to third gear, it hung in second and the RPMs increased to around 3,500 to 4,000 without a shift for 3 to 5 seconds. I let off the accelerator and as the RPMs decreased, the tranny finally shifted into third gear. The car was at normal operating temperatures since I'd been driving for a half hour, or so. This is the first time this has happened to me. Definitely something weird going on that I need to get checked out.

I had to delay the dealership visit to investigate my transmission issues. A raccoon decided to perform a "suicide by car" with my wife driving with the front bumper and lower grill taking the brunt of the damage. I've got it in the shop for repairs and it should be out next Tuesday or Wednesday.
If I'm understanding you correctly then this is definitely normal. If you accelerate hard, the car will hold gears longer for a few seconds after as it should. This is common to all performance oriented cars that I've driven.
Old 03-09-14, 12:11 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Originally Posted by jat0223
If I'm understanding you correctly then this is definitely normal. If you accelerate hard, the car will hold gears longer for a few seconds after as it should. This is common to all performance oriented cars that I've driven.
Thanks, but I've done this exact acceleration move several times and this episode was different than any other time. Not common at all for me and this car.

Quick Reply: Acceleration slip