IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Aerodynamic vibration at 50 mph, sun roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 08:12 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerodynamic vibration at 50 mph, sun roof

So, I am wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and if so, what have you done about it.

When driving at 50 mph with the windows up and the sun roof open, I get a loud harmonic vibration that renders the rear view mirror completely useless. I duplicated the problem several times. At an indicated 50 mph, the vibration will come on slowly and crescendo into a loud consistent hum. I can relieve the vibration by rolling down a window, which slowly dissipates the issue, or by manually compressing the little air deflector on the leading edge of the sun roof opening.

I am not an aerodynamicist, but I am wondering if a rear window diffuser would fix this issue. Could be a great excuse to get one. I really only like to put mods on my car that actually do something. It’s a personal tick and only applies to me and my car. I’d rather not put one of those dome looking thingies that go on front of the sun roof to alleviate this issue. If I can find a safe place to do so, I may try to take a video of the issue, but for now this written explanation will have to suffice, has anyone else had this happen?
Old 06-12-13, 08:30 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird... i've found the ISF to be the only car i've ever owned I can have the windows up and the sunroof open and not have any harmonic vibration in the car...

I would think though that you'd need to deflect more air before the sunroof, not after so I don't know how a rear window diffuser would play into fixing the problem?
Old 06-12-13, 08:36 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Originally Posted by daedalus
Weird... i've found the ISF to be the only car i've ever owned I can have the windows up and the sunroof open and not have any harmonic vibration in the car...

I would think though that you'd need to deflect more air before the sunroof, not after so I don't know how a rear window diffuser would play into fixing the problem?
That is what I am thinking too, but I have seen in some aerodynamic studies that altering the area behind a certain area can have an effect on what happens ahead of it. Like a rock in a river, the water "stacks" up and has to find a way around it.

Just thinking out loud
Old 06-12-13, 08:39 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

from what I know there was a TSB for the rearview mirror when you are opening the sunroof it vibrates...but this is totally different since your moving but check the dealer if your still within warranty and see if that fixes the problem. I don't use the sun roof too much and if I do I use it the other way by having it push up instead of opening it all the way.
Old 06-12-13, 08:42 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
from what I know there was a TSB for the rearview mirror when you are opening the sunroof it vibrates...but this is totally different since your moving but check the dealer if your still within warranty and see if that fixes the problem. I don't use the sun roof too much and if I do I use it the other way by having it push up instead of opening it all the way.
Will do, thanks!
Old 06-12-13, 09:22 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If my sunroof is open my rear view mirror takes views of the floor
Old 06-12-13, 12:43 PM
haydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can have ALL windows down and sunroof open my rear view mirror vibrates like crazy. All windows up and sunroof open. No vibrations.
Old 06-12-13, 12:53 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by haydog
I can have ALL windows down and sunroof open my rear view mirror vibrates like crazy. All windows up and sunroof open. No vibrations.
Minus the rear windows (since I rarely touch them), this has been my experience. Vibration is mainly affected by lowering other windows, in tandem with the roof.
Old 06-12-13, 01:35 PM
Clownshoes
Driver

Originally Posted by haydog
Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Minus the rear windows (since I rarely touch them), this has been my experience. Vibration is mainly affected by lowering other windows, in tandem with the roof.
Are you guys getting an audible sound along with the vibration? I am, and it is pretty loud.
Old 06-12-13, 02:02 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had this experience with all windows up and sunroof open on freeway it vibrated so loud i thought a window was going to blow out! damn scary actually i should take it to the dealer and show them
Old 06-12-13, 02:06 PM
Clownshoes
Driver

Originally Posted by Murph145
i had this experience with all windows up and sunroof open on freeway it vibrated so loud i thought a window was going to blow out! damn scary actually i should take it to the dealer and show them
This is what I am talking about. I thought my car was having an aneurism…

I think some video may be necessary. Will be interesting to figure it out and fix it.

Usually, I would be miffed about something like this, but with the ISF, I am just stoked to have one. Finally.
Old 06-12-13, 03:33 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm never had that happen with the sun roof but if I open the back windows wih the front up and sunroof closed I get that nasty harmonic.
Old 06-12-13, 03:45 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clownshoes
Are you guys getting an audible sound along with the vibration? I am, and it is pretty loud.
Nothing that I feel is abnormal. It can be altered by playing with the moonroof wind deflector, but never extreme noise.
Old 06-12-13, 06:54 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Tsb: L-sb-0061-11

Try reading through this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-problem.html

I have had the same problem. Reduced quite a bit by changing out some rubber stoppers that sit on the wind deflector. The TSB is L-SB-0061-11.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-13, 02:26 PM
Clownshoes
Driver

Originally Posted by 2008ISF
Try reading through this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-problem.html

I have had the same problem. Reduced quite a bit by changing out some rubber stoppers that sit on the wind deflector. The TSB is L-SB-0061-11.

Hope that helps.
Very helpful. Thanks! I'll check with the local dealer to see if that TSB has been applied to my car.

Quick Reply: Aerodynamic vibration at 50 mph, sun roof