IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of plastic dipping my car another color

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 01:58 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It'd be what, a few hundred in materials and a day or so of your time? Why not give it a whirl? Yellow would look nice, as would a midnight blue color.
Old 06-08-13, 02:23 PM
ISFGEORGE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just wrap it instead ? Much cleaner look and longer lasting.
Old 06-08-13, 03:17 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^ Wrapping would cost about 2-3 times more with the same longevity.
Old 06-08-13, 04:27 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^ Wrapping would cost about 2-3 times more with the same longevity.
Removal would be easier (especially in hard to reach areas), it would look much more uniform, way more color choices and you'll look less "cheap". People already laugh at the owners with plastidipped emblems.

There's a reason why the majority choose vinyl over plastidip.

Leave plastidipping for 90's honda owners.

Also, if you live in Cali.. theres a plethora of vinyl wrapping shops that can wrap your car for fairly cheap.
Old 06-08-13, 05:54 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Removal would be easier (especially in hard to reach areas), it would look much more uniform, way more color choices and you'll look less "cheap". People already laugh at the owners with plastidipped emblems.

Also, if you live in Cali.. theres a plethora of vinyl wrapping shops that can wrap your car for fairly cheap.
I totally disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Plastidip. It's just another means of making your car loon different. There is this negative connotation to plastidip that I can't quite put my finger on. As a very senior engineer that's designed and built many multimillion dollar satellite systems I appreciate the "option" of plastidip. Just think about it for a second. You have a product that you can spray on that changes the color and sheen of your car. That's a fraction of the cost that looks just as good if not better. When I go to the track I see plenty of six figure and greater than 50k cars with it in there. The reasons why are what I stated above.

I still don't get why people think plastidip is bad. It's just a paint "type" in abstract.....Geesh.
Old 06-08-13, 06:02 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I totally disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Plastidip. It's just another means of making your car loon different. There is this negative connotation to plastidip that I can't quite put my finger on. As a very senior engineer that's designed and built many multimillion dollar satellite systems I appreciate the "option" of plastidip. Just think about it for a second. You have a product that you can spray on that changes the color and sheen of your car. That's a fraction of the cost that looks just as good if not better. When I go to the track I see plenty of six figure and greater than 50k cars with it in there. The reasons why are what I stated above.

I still don't get why people think plastidip is bad. It's just a paint "type" in abstract.....Geesh.
Then we'll agree to disagree.

I live near plenty of exotic cars in LA and OC and frequent shows/exotic meets but none we're plastidipped.. ever. Not one. There's definitely reasons as to why one wouldn't.

I never said plastidipping is bad, but there are way better options out there to change the look and feel of your car.

Try to persuade one owner to plastidip their car and they'll laugh at you. Spraying on a product will never have the durability/removability/color potential as vinyl.

Btw, satellite systems =/= cars.. apples to oranges.. I have no clue why you'd bring that up. Also, you haven't really stated anything other than its "cheaper" where its superior to vinyl wrapping. Have you actually tried to remove plastidip from a car? Do you know vehicle owners who have plastidipped their car then remove it and plastidipped it again another color?
Old 06-08-13, 06:11 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It will cost me 500 bucks and a day of my time to gloss plastic dip (300 if left matte)... if it sucks and i hate it il peel it off. a local shop quoted me 1800 to vinyl wrap my car.... dipmycar.com swears dip will last 3 years. ive had my emblems dipped for 3 years and they are fine. Ive never had anyone laugh at my F for having dipped emblems and I dont see anyone laughing at one of the fastest, most modded ISFs in the world over a temporary, protective color choice, maybe in the clearly snobbery Cali scene, but on the east cost, especially the north east. There will be no hate other than jealously .... I was just talking about it with a guy who dipped his v10 R8 wheels in Miami and loves it. As he said "F*** the haters".

Last edited by darbs242; 06-08-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 07:32 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it. I'd like to see how it turns out
Old 06-08-13, 09:32 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then we'll agree to disagree.

I live near plenty of exotic cars in LA and OC and frequent shows/exotic meets but none we're plastidipped.. ever. Not one. There's definitely reasons as to why one wouldn't.

I never said plastidipping is bad, but there are way better options out there to change the look and feel of your car.

Try to persuade one owner to plastidip their car and they'll laugh at you. Spraying on a product will never have the durability/removability/color potential as vinyl.

Btw, satellite systems =/= cars.. apples to oranges.. I have no clue why you'd bring that up. Also, you haven't really stated anything other than its "cheaper" where its superior to vinyl wrapping. Have you actually tried to remove plastidip from a car? Do you know vehicle owners who have plastidipped their car then remove it and plastidipped it again another color?
You’re right apples to oranges with respect to satellite systems. Yes i do know people that have dipped their whole car and changed the color as well. My point is that plastidip is not bad. It's for people that like to change up color schemes without the hassle and cost of vinyl or paint. Have you see dipyourcar.com's Facebook page? It's a smorgasbord of cars ranging from in expensive on up to 6 figure cars.

Also have you seen the new 3M paint defender? It's a spray on that mimics what the 3M clear bra does. So I think your argument about spraying in something is not fully valid. If you could qualify your argument better I believe you could make better points as I am trying to do.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 06-08-13 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 12:29 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darbs242
It will cost me 500 bucks and a day of my time to gloss plastic dip (300 if left matte)... if it sucks and i hate it il peel it off. a local shop quoted me 1800 to vinyl wrap my car.... dipmycar.com swears dip will last 3 years. ive had my emblems dipped for 3 years and they are fine. Ive never had anyone laugh at my F for having dipped emblems and I dont see anyone laughing at one of the fastest, most modded ISFs in the world over a temporary, protective color choice, maybe in the clearly snobbery Cali scene, but on the east cost, especially the north east. There will be no hate other than jealously .... I was just talking about it with a guy who dipped his v10 R8 wheels in Miami and loves it. As he said "F*** the haters".
I was the one with the matte white dipped F. I had it on the car for almost a full year, through a canadian winter, and it held up far better than i expected, When I sold the F to buy a new one, I peeled the entire job off in a bit over an hour.

Make sure you lay it on thick, the thicker the dip the easier it is to remove. trust me..

Go for it, there is no downside.
Old 06-09-13, 11:31 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you live in Chicago, I swear you're a cubs fan...buts that neither hear nor there. OK so you"re afraid it looks "cheap"..... and "people laughing." Sounds like a personal problem to me, as I can't imagine anyone would have the ***** to come up to me and say that my IS-F is cheap looking b/c I have plastidip emblems ( I don't by the way).

I can't imagine someone dumb enough to fathom that idea in the first place b/c guess why people plastidip their emblems? They plastidip their emblems in a dark color to either hide them or make them less noticeable (from the chrome) and not to "hey look at my emblem" b/c they're the best mod on my car and I spent a lot of money on them ... Plastidip your emblems is not the same as rolling on replica wheels...

Because plastidip emblems are no where any close to being the focal point of your car, anyone who specifically focuses on them and says your IS-F (or any car for that matter) is "cheap"..... is just friggin short-sighted to the extreme. So friggin funny that people can make that connection...

And in regards to few exotics (or any car for that matter) being plastidipped? Well guess what? The owners of these cars don't care about saving a few grand (please don't take that literally ) so when they want to change the color of their car, they'll take it to West Coast Customs and what do you think WCC will recommend? Vinyl wrap or plastidip? Of course they'll recommend the one that is worth more their money and time, the one that cost more right? Now which one do you think that will be? Economics right?!!

I have nothing plastidipped on my F, but I am a fan of it b/c of 3 things: 1- not a lot of people plastidipped their cars YET therefor it's more unique, 2- you can actually do it yourself for about $500 compare to $2-4k for vinyl. And no, you cannot do vinyl yourself if you don't have experience. I have friends that do vinyl and I've seen it done. I give much more respect to people who actually work on their cars. 3- said it already, but the price is a no-brainier.

Lastly, if you go to their website, there are more and more shops listed that has whole car plastidip experience....and yes, you're still saving money over vinyl from a shop.
Old 06-09-13, 01:09 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To the OP's question of whether to blacken the emblems, personally I would. The chrome would soften the "L" and "Lexus" too much. That's exactly how I felt with the Mercury Metallic and Starfire Pearl colors. I just prefer to accent what the car is. And the emblems would certainly pop with the gloss yellow as the body color. If you were to go with a glossy Midnight Pearl like color, then I'd say leave the emblems chrome, as that would have some pop with the body color

I certainly don't think it cheapens the look of the car, and obviously there are numerous shops that have added plastidipping as a service, so it is becoming. But it all comes down to you, the owner. It would certainly be different and a fun DIY.
Old 06-09-13, 03:19 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a black Plastidipped Dodge Magnum yesterday on the 14 North near Lancaster and i thought you you Darbs and this thread. With the sun hitting the car you were really able to see all the different variations/coats/lines from where the dip was applied and it did not look clean at all. My gf was with me and i didn't want to influence her decision at all so I asked her what she thought before I said anything and she said "it looks like a crappy paint job." In low light I suspect it will look decent but out in the sun it looked terrible. Just wanted to throw that out there before you spent $500.
Old 06-09-13, 03:47 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I saw a black Plastidipped Dodge Magnum yesterday on the 14 North near Lancaster and i thought you you Darbs and this thread. With the sun hitting the car you were really able to see all the different variations/coats/lines from where the dip was applied and it did not look clean at all. My gf was with me and i didn't want to influence her decision at all so I asked her what she thought before I said anything and she said "it looks like a crappy paint job." In low light I suspect it will look decent but out in the sun it looked terrible. Just wanted to throw that out there before you spent $500.
Exactly.

Vinyl will ALWAYS be consistent.. no variations, easier removal, more color options etc.

Gotta pay to play.
Old 06-09-13, 04:13 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Try plastidip if you dont like the result, mabe you can try getting it wrap.

Quick Reply: Thinking of plastic dipping my car another color