IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anybody have interest in a high quality DIY 2nd cat muffler delete system?

Old 05-30-13, 05:00 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody have interest in a high quality DIY 2nd cat muffler delete system?

Right now I'm trying to gauge interest in a high quality DIY kit. I know some people are getting this done at a shop really cheap ($200 or less) but I'm not sure how anyone is getting that done with quality material and not just hacking the cats off at the end and slipping on a pipe.

I went to JE Import in Baltimore to have this done and they quoted me about $600 parts and labor which I thought was insane. I called up one of my friends who has an E90 M3 and he told me he knew a guy who could probably do a better job and much cheaper. Frank Smith (Frank Smith of Tuning Tech) is a well known guy across multiple forums, especially those in the MD area (and probably down in Miami where he was originally as well). I brought the car to him tonight to take a look at the exhaust and see what he could do and found some interesting things out about a regular cat/muffler delete. As some of you know the exhaust actually goes down in diameter right before the 2nd cats, into the cats, and widens again afterwards. This is obviously to slow the flow down and keep the mid range power up and what Frank thinks is that by simply cutting at the front and rear of the cat and fitting a pipe in there I'm actually going to lose that mid range power. The reason he said JE Import quoted such a high price is because the better way to do it to actually increase high end and not lose low end is to cut much further up where the pipe is full diameter and then run it back. He's going to fabricate this for me on Saturday and I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures of the install. Frank wanted me to see how much interest there was for a setup like this where one could do it themselves in their garage using high quality stainless steel. He said he would be willing to put the R&D in if there are enough people (4 +) that would be interested.

I am not the most technically savvy when it comes to exhaust setups so if you have detailed questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I will ask Frank about it when I see him on Saturday. This would basically be a kit that he would assemble and ship out to you. If you think you would be interested let me know! I'll update this post with pics, exhaust clips, etc after I get it done on Saturday.

- Ryan

ps here is Frank's website http://tuningtechfs.com/aboutus.php
Old 05-30-13, 05:12 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think those who got the muffler and 2nd cat delete are budget guys who want a quick and simple reversible mod. I had mine chopped off for $40 and realistically, the piping material doesn't matter (in Cali at least) as long as it doesn't rust.

A more realistic goal for any company wanting to fab up something in this market would be to make a midpipe for really cheap like those for ISx50 guys.

Also, I don't know how you're going to hack up a 2nd cat and slip on another pipe. I had pipes welded in its place (this will not make it DIYable)
Old 05-30-13, 05:16 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya you Cali guys are lucky, those of us in the midwest/northeast can't really use something cheap unless you aren't planning on keeping it on there long. I'm not sure what he has in mind but it would likely utilize flanges/clamps so you can do it at home and change it back easily if you want. All the details would obviously come later, just trying to see if there is any interest first.
Old 05-30-13, 07:14 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I would think those who got the muffler and 2nd cat delete are budget guys who want a quick and simple reversible mod. I had mine chopped off for $40 and realistically, the piping material doesn't matter (in Cali at least) as long as it doesn't rust.

A more realistic goal for any company wanting to fab up something in this market would be to make a midpipe for really cheap like those for ISx50 guys.

Also, I don't know how you're going to hack up a 2nd cat and slip on another pipe. I had pipes welded in its place (this will not make it DIYable)
^^^^^This.
Old 06-02-13, 08:40 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sick of seeing 1000+ for exhaust. I don't care how good of a quality it is, no offense, but when you mass produce something, I just don't see why it is priced the way it is. Plus exhaust isn't rocket science, doesn't require much more than trial and error to probably understand which design gets better results.

lol maybe i'm just being cheap.
Old 06-02-13, 09:29 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^Just do the 2nd cat muffler delete and replace them with stainless steel pipes. I got tons of thumbs up and questions from people after my cruise in time square nyc. I love the sound, and so do others. It never gets old. Best part is that cruising in D it's actually pretty quiet, but when using M mode the V8 screams.
Old 06-02-13, 09:42 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nsx042003
I'm sick of seeing 1000+ for exhaust. I don't care how good of a quality it is, no offense, but when you mass produce something, I just don't see why it is priced the way it is. Plus exhaust isn't rocket science, doesn't require much more than trial and error to probably understand which design gets better results.

lol maybe i'm just being cheap.
Considering most exhausts for small engine Honda's are priced around $400-500 for a single pipe layout (no cost for X pipe).. then the exhausts for IS-F's are priced somewhat accordingly but obviously the exhausts for IS-F's have seen great welds and dictated by market as well. (there are way more Honda vehicles on the road which will dictate overall profitability of the exhaust)