IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 02:05 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?

Just curious, who in here has had an older model ISF and traded it up for a newer model? I know that from a financial standpoint, this is a stupid idea, but I'm sort of considering it and was just curious if anyone else had done it.

For me, it'd have to be the exact right car and right price for me to pull the trigger. I'd be specifically looking for an Obsidian '12 or '13 with Alpine or the red/black interior, with mileage lower than my car currently has (I have a 2009 with 27,800mi currently), and all for the right deal in both the purchase price of the new car and the trade of my car. I realize my list is so specific that it will probably be impossible for me to find the right deal. Still, I love those two interior colors, like the headlights, hard drive based nav, LSD, suspension and other minor bits that the newer cars came with. Right now, the only car that I'd even remotely want to trade my ISF for is a newer ISF... especially since the new RCF will be two doors and the new GSF (if such a thing will even be made) is probably going to be closer to M5 pricing, which is too much.
Old 08-06-13, 02:30 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Just curious, who in here has had an older model ISF and traded it up for a newer model? I know that from a financial standpoint, this is a stupid idea, but I'm sort of considering it and was just curious if anyone else had done it.

For me, it'd have to be the exact right car and right price for me to pull the trigger. I'd be specifically looking for an Obsidian '12 or '13 with Alpine or the red/black interior, with mileage lower than my car currently has (I have a 2009 with 27,800mi currently), and all for the right deal in both the purchase price of the new car and the trade of my car. I realize my list is so specific that it will probably be impossible for me to find the right deal. Still, I love those two interior colors, like the headlights, hard drive based nav, LSD, suspension and other minor bits that the newer cars came with. Right now, the only car that I'd even remotely want to trade my ISF for is a newer ISF... especially since the new RCF will be two doors and the new GSF (if such a thing will even be made) is probably going to be closer to M5 pricing, which is too much.
I traded up to a 12 from an 09. It was a left over and I saved about 11k off msrp. I was in the same boat. I had 25k on my 09 and I wanted the lights, lsd, and swuede seats. Didn't want to spend to get that stuff so I bought a 12. I would never do the deal at msrp. Good luck trying to find ML on the east coast in a 12, 13. Lexus corporate decided to spec isf in the northeast with lexus premium audio. Blows my mind since this is one of the top 3 lexus' s as far as price. Lfa and ls460 are the only that cost more. ML Should be standard like the 08-09 models. Good luck.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 08-06-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 02:54 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 2008 for a new 2011 on Jan 1 2012. I wanted the updated suspension ride, handling, sport mode button on the steering wheel, LSD, GPS nav and sat radio options along with Bluetooth. My dealership had the only 2011 on the lot in the region and wanted to move it since it sat on their lot for 8 months. I worked with the sales manager for a long time before we settled on a deal and my trade. They gave me a good trade and a good deal on the car so I don't mind the bump in monthly payments.

To me I totally don't regret the move up as I feel I got more car and the ride quality was well worth it. I like the alcantra seats as I feel they hold you in place better. The color is nice as well going from MM to SGM, even though I would prefer SFP but I am happy overall.
Old 08-06-13, 03:31 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping the '12 models drop below $50k next year then I will be trading my 08 for a Nebula one if I can find one. Sucks that there are hardly any used Fs in my area so I will prob have to go out of state like when I bought my 08. Lexus dealer near me has an '11 SFP that had me interested but miles are higher than I would consider
Old 08-06-13, 03:37 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

'09 Mercury metallic on alpine interior to '13 Obsidian on Red.

If you love the car why not?
Old 08-06-13, 03:58 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't buy a pre '11 ISF coming from a new ISF owner here that wasn't even looking for an ISF until a clean one popped up at a local dealership and I just happened to be browsing the site passing time.

LED DRLs are a must. Else they look pretty dated. Amazing how big of a diff eyes make.

Gauge cluster is a must. It's the same setup as the 911. People complaining about the mph... well they should throw the same complaints at the beloved 911 gauges.

LSD is a must.

New suspension is a must.

I love that they're so rare.
Old 08-06-13, 03:59 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't bother making the move unless I found the exact car I wanted. I have every option on my 09 except the adaptive cruise control and I wouldn't want to take a step back. I'm also firm on the color combos I'd consider. Still, if the right thing popped up for the right price I could be persuaded to do a deal. I got my current car 500mi away, so I'd be willing to look beyond my local dealership.
Old 08-06-13, 04:40 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I wouldn't buy a pre '11 ISF coming from a new ISF owner here that wasn't even looking for an ISF until a clean one popped up at a local dealership and I just happened to be browsing the site passing time.

LED DRLs are a must. Else they look pretty dated. Amazing how big of a diff eyes make.

Gauge cluster is a must. It's the same setup as the 911. People complaining about the mph... well they should throw the same complaints at the beloved 911 gauges.

LSD is a must.

New suspension is a must.

I love that they're so rare.
I don't agree with the LED DRL's.. I personally think they look like eyelashes.. if you look at the GS F sport with the LED's (they look like CCFL's actually) those look MORE updated. I personally think cars with LED strips is unnecessary.

Gauge clusters is a preference. A 2006+ civic has digital speedo with analog RPM and some people love it, some people hate it.

LSD is a must.. agreed but ELSD isn't bad either.

New suspension isn't a must if you're buying coilovers. Otherwise if you're leaving it stock then fine.

All IS-F's are rare
Old 08-06-13, 05:00 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I don't agree with the LED DRL's.. I personally think they look like eyelashes.. if you look at the GS F sport with the LED's (they look like CCFL's actually) those look MORE updated. I personally think cars with LED strips is unnecessary.

Gauge clusters is a preference. A 2006+ civic has digital speedo with analog RPM and some people love it, some people hate it.

LSD is a must.. agreed but ELSD isn't bad either.

New suspension isn't a must if you're buying coilovers. Otherwise if you're leaving it stock then fine.

All IS-F's are rare
Pat, I think you mean LS F sport right? They are still LED under, just that the lenses diffused the lights to make it looks like one strip. Ccfl are very fragile and not good with vibration.
Old 08-06-13, 05:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Pat, I think you mean LS F sport right? They are still LED under, just that the lenses diffused the lights to make it looks like one strip. Ccfl are very fragile and not good with vibration.
Yeah LS..

I would disagree with the CCFL being fragile. I know many owners with custom headlights that use CCFL and never had issues as long as you secure it properly.

But LED seems to be the cheaper option and if it looks like the headlights on that LS.. then CCFL isn't necessary.

I still think the 2011+ headlights look like eyelashes.
Old 08-06-13, 05:35 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Disagree completely. During daytime driving, pedestrians and oncoming traffic are more quickly able to spot me from a greater distance and they also seem to have a better gauge of my approaching speed to act accordingly. This was immediately obvious to me when I got my car. Whether or not you like how it looks is subjective. But I SWEAR fewer motorists pull out in front of me when I'm driving down the road.
Old 08-06-13, 05:51 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Roffles
Disagree completely. During daytime driving, pedestrians and oncoming traffic are more quickly able to spot me from a greater distance and they also seem to have a better gauge of my approaching speed to act accordingly. This was immediately obvious to me when I got my car. Whether or not you like how it looks is subjective. But I SWEAR fewer motorists pull out in front of me when I'm driving down the road.
You do know the 2008-2010 headlights have DRL's as well right? The difference is 2011+ has a separate DRL from the high beams.

So this discussion isn't about how "safe" it is. Both headlight styles are safe. The looks however are subjective.
Old 08-06-13, 05:53 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

This topic is really wasting time and money LOL or unless you are so rich then can trade in and get whatever you want LOL
Old 08-06-13, 07:27 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You do know the 2008-2010 headlights have DRL's as well right? The difference is 2011+ has a separate DRL from the high beams.

So this discussion isn't about how "safe" it is. Both headlight styles are safe. The looks however are subjective.
u turn those on... dates it even more bud. looks horrible. like 7eleven burrito lighting.

lexus swoosh drls r my fav.

upgrade! 11+ all day.
Old 08-06-13, 07:36 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

Dont do it...get a Porsche...get it out of your system.

Quick Reply: Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?