IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

accelerating from deadstop

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 10:17 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by nsx042003
My F seems to be more tail happy lately, or maybe it was always like that from the beginning...

So my concern is, I'm at a complete stop and I want to open up the car till top of 2nd gear; when I put the pedal to the floor, the tailend would start going one way, usually slight left, and I have to countersteer to keep the car straight. And this is all when the day is clear, temperature in the 20s. All driving aids are on, no sport mode or M-mode on the gears.

Is this normal? or just the nature of the beast?

I've gone to the strip last year, and best I could pull was 13.5 @109. And I also had to fight a little off the line to keep car straight as well.

And this only happens when I take off, doesn't pull to either side in-between shifts.
I think this comes down to two things First, like everyone here has stated your Tires? check the state of wear and if they need to be replaced then do so with quality tires such as Michelin PSS, Conti, DW, etc what ever your budget allows.

And the second thing is learn how to properly launch and drive your car practice makes perfect. 13.5 @109 were same times I was running when I had my ISx50 with factory rubber at English Town. I averaged between 13.4 to 13.5's consistently with my old IS350 running F sport spring,F sport sway bar, F sport exhaust. The biggest mod you can do is to yourself, learning how to exact the most performance out of your F by practicing launching, braking, learning proper line etc. Take course,get some track time these thing will lead to biggest gains you can see with your car.
Old 05-14-13, 11:41 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Care to explain how the car is fishtailing if the "E-Wannabe-LSD" isnt working and the car is only spinning one tire?
Uhhhhhhhhh....from my understanding, it has something to due with the fact that since 2008/2009 models have an open diff with reliance on electronics opposed to a LSD.

Torque is transferred to the wheel that has the least resistance, which is actually the wheel that is spinning. One wheel is spinning, one is not, therefore it causes the fish tail because the power is being shifted from one side to the other. LSD will prevent some of this and allow the torque to go to both wheels, but won't allow one wheel to receive 100% of the power. Especially if maybe traction control is off.

Not sure how much of that is right...I just tried to use what I did know or thought I knew to come up with something...LOL.
Old 05-14-13, 11:54 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

for the record the suspension changes and torsen lsd started in the 2011+ models. One of the reasons I bought a 2011
Old 05-14-13, 11:57 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
for the record the suspension changes and torsen lsd started in the 2011+ models. One of the reasons I bought a 2011
Those changes were on the 2010. 11+ got the new cluster and led headlights
Old 05-14-13, 12:00 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by mr2envi
Those changes were on the 2010. 11+ got the new cluster and led headlights
see the enclosed article by car and driver under the section a thorough revamp. They talk about how the suspension totally changed and the torsen lsd replace the open diff

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Last edited by chrisp1; 05-14-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 12:16 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

2010 is the first model year with mechanical LSD,
2011+ suspension, steering was revised.
2013 more suspension tweaking.
Old 05-14-13, 12:17 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wrong, see the enclosed article by car and driver under the section a thorough revamp. They talk about how the suspension totally changed and the torsen lsd replace the open diff

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
You were right about the suspension revamp on 2011 but 2010 were the first year of torsen LSD
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/...uspension.html
Old 05-14-13, 12:48 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

this may be a dumb question but why does every article list 2010 as just mechanical limited slip but not torsen, and the 2011 is always listed as a torsen limited slip
Old 05-14-13, 12:51 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Again...you're wrong.... LSD was added in 2010 models.

You must be the type that shoots first and asks questions later.

2012 and 2011 LED DRL headlights are different too. 2012 uses a whiter LED

Lets have Lobuxracer chime in on this...he has access to Toyota Factory manuals and he can post up the differences between the years. Joe Z might have access to this information as well.
Old 05-14-13, 12:52 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

this article may clear things up
http://blog.caranddriver.com/lexus-i...eels-for-2010/

Last edited by chrisp1; 05-14-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 12:53 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Again...you're wrong.... LSD was added in 2010 models.

You must be the type that shoots first and asks questions later.

2012 and 2011 LED DRL headlights are different too. 2012 uses a whiter LED

Lets have Lobuxracer chime in on this...he has access to Toyota Factory manuals and he can post up the differences between the years. Joe Z might have access to this information as well.
I guess im the type that believes what the pros write in car magazines I could definitely be wrong, im just going by what im reading.The article below from car and driver must be wrong or a typo then. It says the torsen limited slip replaced 2010s open differential setup. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Last edited by chrisp1; 05-14-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 01:07 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I guess im the type that believes what the pros write in car magazines I could definitely be wrong, im just going by what im reading
Yes, you are wrong ..... The mechanical LSD added to 2010 model year was noted in every car magazine

The only reason I opted out of 2008/2009 model.

More pros writing bellow....
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-f/2010/
Old 05-14-13, 01:10 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rossi
Yes, you are wrong ..... The mechanical LSD added to 2010 model year was noted in every car magazine

The only reason I opted out of 2008/2009 model.

More pros writing bellow....
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-f/2010/
Car and Driver obviously has it wrong. Kind of surprising they would miss a simple piece of info like that
Old 05-14-13, 01:21 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Uhhhhhhhhh....from my understanding, it has something to due with the fact that since 2008/2009 models have an open diff with reliance on electronics opposed to a LSD.

Torque is transferred to the wheel that has the least resistance, which is actually the wheel that is spinning. One wheel is spinning, one is not, therefore it causes the fish tail because the power is being shifted from one side to the other. LSD will prevent some of this and allow the torque to go to both wheels, but won't allow one wheel to receive 100% of the power. Especially if maybe traction control is off.

Not sure how much of that is right...I just tried to use what I did know or thought I knew to come up with something...LOL.
The question was rhetorical as its not going to happen lol. An open differential car is not going to fishtail while spinning unless the driver wants it to. Your understanding of how differentials work is somewhat alright, but its a bit off...

Open differentials send equal amounts of torque to both tires, usually resulting in situations known as "Single Tire Fire". Keep in mind, Single Tire Fire = No Fishtail. Getting both tires to lose traction is more difficult with an open differential because torque is not transferred from side to side as resistances change.

At the end of the day, the traction issues with this car seem to be tire related. Available data on the ISF platform shows no advantage to the 2010+ LSD in relation to straight line traction. In actually, the eLSD cars have constantly put down better 60' times

Car and Driver obviously has it wrong. Kind of surprising they would miss a simple piece of info like that
C&D never get it wrong. I mean they were spot on when they said the e90 M3 was superior to the R35 GTR right
Old 05-14-13, 01:32 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
The question was rhetorical as its not going to happen lol. An open differential car is not going to fishtail while spinning unless the driver wants it to. Your understanding of how differentials work is somewhat alright, but its a bit off...

Open differentials send equal amounts of torque to both tires, usually resulting in situations known as "Single Tire Fire". Keep in mind, Single Tire Fire = No Fishtail. Getting both tires to lose traction is more difficult with an open differential because torque is not transferred from side to side as resistances change.

At the end of the day, the traction issues with this car seem to be tire related. Available data on the ISF platform shows no advantage to the 2010+ LSD in relation to straight line traction. In actually, the eLSD cars have constantly put down better 60' times

C&D never get it wrong. I mean they were spot on when they said the e90 M3 was superior to the R35 GTR right
just checked out a few of your videos....dang that car is quick

Quick Reply: accelerating from deadstop