IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 08:13 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......

Hey guys.

Want to give some back story before I go on with my reason behind this thread.

I am a huge enthusiast car guy. My previous cars are as follows:

A procharged G8 GT
Jeep SRT8
G35 coupe
Trailblazer SS
Lexus LS430
Lexus GS300

All in about 4-5 years give or take. As you can see 2 Lexus models there, I have become a fan of the quality and all around general environment a Lexus car has to offer.

Now, my current ride is an 03 Lexus GS300. It just turned over 297k miles. It's wonderful, everything works, and its just been such a trooper. I am the second owner and bought it at 270xxx miles. Just oil changes, and front wheel bearings so far, which leads me to this thread.

I am wanting to get another car and turn the GS300 into a turboed street beast. But I want an enthusiast car in the mean time.

My eyes are set on 3 car's and a list of mods I would do to them;

08 Lexus ISF (full bolt on's, maaaaaybe 150 shot of spray)
09 Cadilic CTS-V (pulley swap, headers, exhaust)
07-09 135i, 335i coupe (full bolt on's and stage II turbo upgrade)

All of these would cost about the same to get them where they are.....37,000$ or so.

I think the only issue why I would choose the bimmer and the cts-v over the ISF is that the lack of power I "MAY" not feel vs the bimmer/V (any owner of these cars I mentioned can comment).

So for this thread, can you owners of an ISF comment on what you hate, what you love. And what cars you came from or still own that are either quicker or maybe even better?
Old 05-08-13, 09:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's simple. If you want reliability/luxury/exclusivity in one package, choose the F. If you want unlimited modding options and don't mind things breaking, choose the V / BMW. With that said you can still easily be over 500HP with all the bolt-ons and spray in an ISF. Depends what you want to achieve.

My unbiased opinion: Only German car I would ever get is a Porsche, They are known to be reliable. From experience my 15-year old Integra is pretty solid for an old Japanese car.
Old 05-08-13, 09:21 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

I have two close friends in my area, one with a CTS-V and one with a 135i (N54). Both are modded with items very similar to what you are thinking about, but both also have meth injection. I get walked on all day long. With that said, they have had their fair share of issues, while I haven't had anything more than an annoying squeak from my sunroof.

No matter what car you own of those 3, you'll definitely have a smile on your face.
Old 05-08-13, 09:23 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unbiased here? look elsewhere. j/k

my vote would be for the CTS-V
Old 05-08-13, 09:38 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

So far so good, keep everything coming. I understand you guys will be bias a little however, I am looking for the bad side to decide "whats the worst that could happen" kinda deal.

I have yet to see a maintenance schedule for the ISF? Is it just the same as most other Lexus models?

Anything special that needs to be taken care of in that regard? If the maintenance is basically that of any other Lexus model I maybe more prone for the Lexus.....

Although the Caddy I can literally go to Walmart for parts.....minus the magnetic suspension......
Old 05-08-13, 10:04 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mostly oil changes every 5k. 30k it's recommended to change brake fluid / AC filter. 60k same thing except you also need to do spark plugs.
Old 05-08-13, 10:15 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

That's a good wide range of vehicles.Will you be needing four doors? Are you big on horsepower through aftermarket gains? I will say this, of the three, I would hard pressed not to get some sort of extended warranty on the Caddy or Bimmer. The Lexus, I know will be running smooth. A good number of us 08 owners are just getting out of warranty, and honestly it's not rolling the dice by not purchasing it. The aftermarket support is extensively higher for the first two brands. I honestly like the CTS-V- definitely some fun in that car. Ultimately it's up to you and how much you feel you want to budget for the car and parts and labor. I have heard M owners talk smack on their 335 siblings simply because "it's not an M."

Best of luck to you and your purchase!
Old 05-08-13, 10:15 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Upon trading in the 2008 ISF last year, I was seriously contemplating the same: 335 N54 for the mod potential, CTS-V for the mod potential, M3, C63, etc. Power upgrades for the ISF is far and few compared to.... pretty much every brand out there. ISF only has upgrades for headers, exhaust, and if you're really serious, nitrous.

You've owned cars with more power than stock and modded ISFs, thus even with the upgrades, you might be disappointed with the performance. A stock ISF, in the real world, and not drag strip prepped by removing the spare, lowering tires pressure, on DR, etc, will be doing high 12's to low 13's, so it's not a "fast" car by today's performance standard, even with headers + exhaust + N20. "Fast", at least in my definition, are ones that do low 11's or below consistently, not just 1 or 2 runs. ie GTR, 911 turbo/s, or any 550hp+ AWD sedan these days from Europe.

In the end, I made the mistake of trading in the 08 ISF for a Camry Hybrid which lasted 2 months. Couldn't stand the Camry anymore, and went back to the ISF, found a 2011 model with 7k miles.

The only reason I chose the ISF again all the other ones mentioned are due to 2 reasons: reliability and relatively low maintenance costs over a period of 100k miles driven. I drove the 08 ISF hard, every single day, and the engine/trans was always consistent, not a single issue or CEL popped up. Sure, I lost in street races to a few cars, but it's all in good fun and it's awesome to see how your car measures up (or doesn't.)

Besides brake pads, rotors, and tires (around $300 each item,) there is really nothing high cost to maintain on the ISF. Granted, some here have transmission failures at 70k? miles, but those are maybe 1-2 cases I've heard of. If you want pure performance with mod potential, do not go with the ISF. I chose it the 2nd time around since it's my daily driver, can take it to the track in stock form for some fun, and is dead reliable.

Last edited by itsmike177; 05-08-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 11:03 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

I dumped my 335i to get my F a few months ago because I was tired of crazy amount of problems with it. I had close to $10,000 is warranty work done on it over its life and my warranty was running up, so I dumped it. And you can get a 335 around $20k and be upgraded turbos and FBO at around $30k or so. RB turbos on pump gas will get you mid 400whp. Add e85 and meth be mid 500whp. VTT also has a true twin upgrade making over 700whp now.

The V is badass and can easily make 700whp+ with some mods. Fun cars, my friend has one.

I love my F and wouldnt trade it for either. If you get bored and want to change mods all the time, it wont be right for you. You will put headers,exhaust, and maybe spray like you said and be done. But you will be over 500whp and love it.

Last edited by CUTigers; 05-08-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 11:17 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are looking for a car to tinker around with, I would highly suggest the CTS-V.

From my personal experience:

08 Lexus ISF
Quality, reliable, no aftermarket. You are pretty much stuck with what you have.
No tuning ability. 2008-09 IS-F does not have a true limited slip differential.

09 Cadilic CTS-V
Stout, reliable, easy to work on LSA motor, tons of aftermarket support. If something goes wrong it will be relatively easy to fix. 6 spd manual, LSD.

07-09 135i, 335i coupe (full bolt on's and stage II turbo upgrade)
Fuel pump issues that could leave you stranded, big aftermarket.
Old 05-08-13, 11:21 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i see you like power. get the ctsv .
Old 05-08-13, 11:23 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

When I first started researching the F, I also was looking at the V (wagon) and the M3 sedan. All three have there positives, and it will really in the end come down to your personal preference.

I think the CTS-V is an amazing car, and with the option of the wagon, gives all the utility I could need for myself, the wife and two kids. Not to mention it is quite the powerhouse and can be made to be even faster. Plus, you can get it in a 6-spd! I wasn't completely sold on the aesthetics of the car, too much chrome bits, and a little to angular. The gas mileage wasn't great either, I am getting around 23-25mpg in the F regularly.

I really do like the current gen M3, with that awesome sounding V8 note, but the issues I had with my prior E46 M, and the expense to fix/maintain it, left a slightly sour taste towards BMW's in general. That being said, the driving feel in the M was fantastic, something magical about the M cars and steering feel/feedback. It just wasn't the car for me.

My father works for Lexus, and they had two IS-Fs on the lot, so I went and test drove one for a weekend. I was in love with the car almost immediately. The fit and finish was top notch, the seats were great and that engine note was addicting. The F ticked off all the boxes I was looking for at the time. Yes, there are more limitations to moding, and total power extracted compared to the others you are looking at. (also I know you mentioned the 135/335i, not the M3). Right now I am sitting with intake, exhaust and headers, and am loving all the power available.

In the end, all three/four are really nice cars, and I am sure you will be happy in any of them. It all comes down to driving them and seeing what attributes of each come to the top for you. Good luck in your search, be sure to update us all on whatever it is you decide on.

Kevin
Old 05-08-13, 11:48 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

I don't truly "need" a powerhouse really.....

I plan on doing a NA-T fully built motor on my GS300 so I expect a 500+hp build....so that can be the street brawler and such.

I think I may just get an ISF.....I truly am a fan of lexus, build quality, endurance, engineering quality....

And honestly if I do think about it, I can go to Autozone to get parts.....plugs/wires etc etc.....

If I want to tinker or get more power, I can always hop into the GS300 and find some street kills or track kills!

I think the main reason I will end up choosing the ISF, someone just mentioned it, actually most of you mentioned it:

Limited mods.....it means the mod bug can only bite my *** so much lmfao! So once I do intake/headers/exhaust/spray I am done!

And the GS can make me happy with turbo noise ^__^

Any particular issues that should be looked at on 08 models? And how pricey are the upgraded dealer warranties via Lexus? I just want to make it till its paid off with out huge issues....malfunctions and such.....

And do any cool extras come with the car that when I am buying one I should ensure they are there? I know Lexus does the first aid kit.......anything known to come with the ISF?

thanks everyone, I believe I made my mind up and it happened very quickly........
Old 05-08-13, 12:28 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

no limited slip in 08 and 09 models....this neutters the car...
Old 05-08-13, 12:50 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

And I searched around........

No one uses an oil catch can on an ISF? Any reason why?

Quick Reply: I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......