IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 08:46 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
A 2010 would be out of my price range to be honest. Unless I wait another 6-ish months.

What I may do is still get an 08.....and whatever changes I feel should be made, I will make.

Everything Lexus changed can be addressed with aftermarket. So coil-overs to address the roughness. And an LSD can be bought and swapped.

That's if the ride is too rough for me, and I feel it needs an LSD. The G35 coupe I owned had a viscous LSD.....I don;t think I am good enough of a driver to notice the difference between an LSD and none.....but I have never been in a car where it didn't have then did have one.....just had cars with them and with out them.

I think I am sold on an 08 Lexus ISF. Now to find one at the right price
I will be testing the waters with my 08 soon... 56K mi. Probably looking to get $34K. Too bad you are so far away or I'd let you take it out for a test drive.
Old 05-09-13, 09:26 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
I will be testing the waters with my 08 soon... 56K mi. Probably looking to get $34K. Too bad you are so far away or I'd let you take it out for a test drive.
My budget was looking at 32k or under. Won't be ready to buy for at least 3 months. But searching for the right deal and doing my due diligence in research. If you're willing to work with me I am willing to come get it when I am ready. Up to you!

I am not worried about test driving or anything of that nature. Most of the cars I listed that I previously owned were sight unseen. lol I just always ask for a crap ton of videos and pictures

I actually shipped my Trailblazer SS out to a guy in Texas, sight unseen. He was nervous but I took a ton of pics and video for him.
Old 05-09-13, 09:51 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SSxblazer you should post this question to the CTS-V and BMW fanboi forums and see what they say as well. The majority of us ISF owners are not fanboys and tell it how it is. I can already anticipate we will receive lots of hate from other forums when you throw the ISF into the equation. In another m3 vs ISF thread, a Lexus to BMW converted owner claimed that the e92 m3 engine was bulletproof. I noticed in an m3 forum the problems that were being reported in the e92's. These are facts, not opinions. If an m3 is having these problems, I don't wanna know what the 135i or 335i would be faced with.
  • had a hiccup with a sensor at 24,4xx miles and im paranoid and considering getting extended warranty.
  • idle control sensor loose, replaced seat belt extender twice
  • Idle Air Control Valve replaced at 15k
  • Fuel pump failure (warranty replacement).
  • fuel pressure sensor replaced recently.
  • at 5k my tranny was replaced
  • Fuel pump regulator failure
  • Replaced the LED tail lights after a strip of the LEDs went out. Steering sensor coincidently went bad driving away from the dealership after an alignment.
  • replaced all of the ignition coils, I had problems whit 6 of them in different periods, replace the steering column after the CAS unit was malfunctioned, needed to get a new rubber seal for the exhaust system just above one of the primary cat
  • bad O2 sensor replaced early on.
  • M3 Reprogram for DCT, Idle regulating valve permanent malfunction
  • Only problem was the abs hydraulic pump/motor
  • o2 sensor loose
  • oil level sensor is bad

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-09-13 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 10:16 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

OP, you said you'd be willing to pull the plug w/o a test drive but if possible, i would. like you, i came from a g35 (which i actually sold to someone in colorado, who bought it sight unseen, flew out and picked it up; it was heavily modded, so, it was a win win for both of us.) anyway, before finding my 09 F, i searched for over 5 months before finding the 'right one.' i also drove a handful and most of them had a strong pull to the right. (if you search the forum, this is an issue some owners have experienced, regardless of the model year.) even though the owner said it 'drove straight,' when i test drove them, the pull was obvious, even on flat surface streets.

if you do think about buying one w/o the test drive, make sure they send you tons of photos that are CURRENT. some fool (who was actually on this forum), claimed up and down that he babied his car, that it was in pristine condition, etc., etc. and the pics he posted online were from when he first bought the car, NOT in the condition it was really in when he was trying to sell it. the seats had all this gunk trapped in the tiny holes, scuff marks all over the interior, etc. total waste of my time and gas. anyway, good luck.
Old 05-09-13, 10:47 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
You should get more than that....SHOULD. I just got offered $29.5k for my 2008, 102k miles IS F

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
A 2010 would be out of my price range to be honest. Unless I wait another 6-ish months.

What I may do is still get an 08.....and whatever changes I feel should be made, I will make.

Everything Lexus changed can be addressed with aftermarket. So coil-overs to address the roughness. And an LSD can be bought and swapped.

That's if the ride is too rough for me, and I feel it needs an LSD. The G35 coupe I owned had a viscous LSD.....I don;t think I am good enough of a driver to notice the difference between an LSD and none.....but I have never been in a car where it didn't have then did have one.....just had cars with them and with out them.

I think I am sold on an 08 Lexus ISF. Now to find one at the right price
Just wait 6 months and get one that has all that stuff with the revisions and what not. **** i wish my IS F had bluetooth audio streaming. Not sure what year that became available. I'm tired of plugging my iPhone in.
Old 05-09-13, 12:47 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

This is what I am and have experienced as well. A constant pull to the right. It's pretty annoying and during long drives, wrists ache.

Anyone know of an actual fix? Alignment and subframe moved does not help.... It is NOT radial pull. New tires, tires swapped side to side, pull to the right remains...

Originally Posted by cremaster
...... i also drove a handful and most of them had a strong pull to the right. (if you search the forum, this is an issue some owners have experienced, regardless of the model year.) even though the owner said it 'drove straight,' when i test drove them, the pull was obvious, even on flat surface streets.
Old 05-09-13, 12:51 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
This is what I am and have experienced as well. A constant pull to the right. It's pretty annoying and during long drives, wrists ache.

Anyone know of an actual fix? Alignment and subframe moved does not help.... It is NOT radial pull. New tires, tires swapped side to side, pull to the right remains...
Read this whole thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html
Old 05-10-13, 11:05 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I considered all those cars as well. I ended up going with an '06 M5 in your price range. I liked all the cars I tested (M3, M5, CTS-V, IS-F, S4). Really close call to the CTS-V but the M5 just felt more solid and had a much bigger back seat which I needed. V10 sound is amazing. I also wouldn't suggest owning any of the cars you are looking at without a warranty. I HIGHLY suggest driving an example of each car before making a choice. Good luck!