IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Greddy Magnetic Oil Plug? - Does it work well and is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 08:05 PM
Kyle4207
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greddy Magnetic Oil Plug? - Does it work well and is it needed?

Does anyone use this Greddy Magnetic Oil Plug in their IS F?

Does it work well?

Is it needed?

http://www.shopgreddy.com/accessorie...ta-nissan.html

Has anyone tried alternative styles from eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...lexus&_sacat=0

Thanks!

Kyle
Old 04-19-13, 09:23 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a one in my Z. Not Greddy, but I doubt there is much difference, if any, between any of them. It will catch a tiny bit of metal shavings that are small enough to pass through the filter. So small that they have the consistency of a fine powder.

I also have a magnet that goes on the filter, which I'm sure catches even more but I don't know if there is any equivalent cartridge filters. I've heard there isn't much benefit from using them, but neither were too expensive and I can't imagine any negative effects.
Old 04-19-13, 09:33 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt hurt to have one. For $15 I might get one.
Old 04-20-13, 03:08 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased one, not greddy, and changed my oil about 500 miles ago. I used one on my supra and initially it caught a decent amount of shavings. Just snea discribed above it was so fine it was like powder! I will try to snap some pictures on my next oil change. If it picks up anything.
Old 04-20-13, 04:49 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The rear diff plug is like that from the factory, I'm surprised the oil drain plus isn't too.
Old 04-20-13, 12:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Blackstone took this up in a recent newsletter. Results are inconclusive pending further testing.

Originally Posted by Blackstone Labs
Visually, they certainly seem to work. All you have to do is look at the magnet to see that it’s doing what magnets do. But there’s not really enough evidence here for us to say that magnet drain plugs improve the way your engine wears. We might find less metal in the oil in fact, for the Honda the magnet did seem to have a clear (but very small) correlation with iron in the report. When the magnetic plug was in place, iron dropped by 1 ppm. For the Saturn, however, the case was not so clear. In terms of raw numbers, the first time the magnet was in place, iron increased. The second time, iron decreased. But after correcting for make-up oil dilution and differing oil change intervals, iron increased both times the magnetic plug was used. We tossed around speculation about the magnet “stirring up sludge” and wondered whether that was the reason iron went up. But that’s too much speculation. Because we had different results for the two vehicles, the results are inconclusive.
It's pretty easy to drill a hole in the drainplug and JB Weld a small bar magnet into the hole. I have done this before, but it made no difference so I haven't wasted time with it in some years.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-20-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 11:25 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I got one, is that right to torque it down to only 15 ft lbs? Anyone can confirm?

I just installed LN engineering magnetic drain plug on my Cayenne, LN was stressing to only torque to 19 ft lbs to prevent any issues which made me want to check, then I came across the description for greddy drain plug below:

Old 10-17-22, 02:16 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I got one, is that right to torque it down to only 15 ft lbs? Anyone can confirm?

I just installed LN engineering magnetic drain plug on my Cayenne, LN was stressing to only torque to 19 ft lbs to prevent any issues which made me want to check, then I came across the description for greddy drain plug below:

Not specifically to the greddy plug, but I can embarrassingly say I put in another brands magnetic drain plug and "tried" torqued it to stock oem spec, and managed to twist off the head of the drain plug. Keep in mind these drain plugs are likely aluminum, and the stock oem drain plugs are steel. You will twist the head of the plugs off with very little torque. It's actually somewhat reassuring that Greddy actually gives you a torque spec to torque to.

I can understand that you're a bit worried, I'd consider put it on, put some co-witness marks with a paint pen and then make a few shorter trips and check the bolt. Or if you're really worried consider forgoing the bolt altogether. Or perhaps putting a magnet no the stock drain plug would be a safe alternative. I think the stock oil filter housing is aluminum so you wouldn't be able to just stick some magnets on the housing unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
Rossi (10-17-22)
Old 10-21-22, 01:15 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought an HPS magnetic drain plug from FIGS. I haven't installed yet but will on my next oil change. It's not aluminum like the GReddy one but is stainless steel. I'm most likely going to hand tight it like the OEM one because it is steel.
The following 3 users liked this post by xdejablu3x:
JT2MA71 (10-24-22), MileHIFcar (10-21-22), Rossi (10-21-22)
Old 10-23-22, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
I bought an HPS magnetic drain plug from FIGS. I haven't installed yet but will on my next oil change. It's not aluminum like the GReddy one but is stainless steel. I'm most likely going to hand tight it like the OEM one because it is steel.
What do you mean by this? The OEM drain plug is steel. Why would you not fully torque this to the factory spec?
Old 10-23-22, 08:28 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What do you mean by this? The OEM drain plug is steel. Why would you not fully torque this to the factory spec?
Oh I meant to say tighten by hand and do the typical 1/4" turn to torque it down. I honestly never really torqued any of my oil drain plugs to spec but probably should start doing so.
lobuxracer (10-23-22)
Old 10-23-22, 10:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I've always ran a magnetic drain plug. I am using this one:

Amazon Amazon

In my LC and my truck (both have different thread pitch) with a crush washer. I hand tighten until I crush the washer. I use the washer only once.
MileHIFcar (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 12:04 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
I've always ran a magnetic drain plug. I am using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

In my LC and my truck (both have different thread pitch) with a crush washer. I hand tighten until I crush the washer. I use the washer only once.
Not a bad price think I might give this one a try. Do you think that the strength of the magnetic portion of the plug matters? Have you gotten metal debris/shavings on the plug since you've started to use this plug whether on your ISF or your LC currently?
Old 10-24-22, 11:29 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^A bit yes.