IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How many of you have custom exhaust and what did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 02:36 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many of you have custom exhaust and what did you pay?

I'm pretty sure a well known shop on here took my friend to the cleaners with their setup but before I bash them publically I'm wondering what you guys paid for your custom setups. So apparently they "modeled the ISS Forged setup" for my friend but they charged him the same price as buying the ISS Forged system as well which I think is ridiculous. Oh on top of that this was utilizing the stock tips because they told him (before they told him the price) that if he wanted the ISS style tips it would cost more. What is the point of getting custom if you are paying the same price as a mass produced exhaust with proven gains ??
Old 04-18-13, 05:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Unless someone wants to utilize the stock mufflers I don't see why anyone would want to do a custom full exhaust. There are so many aftermarket exhausts available that it just doesn't make sense to spend money on custom. I can see how a custom exhaust could easily add up to more than a mass produced exhaust due to the labor involved. Your friend should have been given a solid estimate with a break down of the job, if not and he went ahead anyway I put some of the blame on your friend. Want custom? Your gonna pay!
Old 04-18-13, 12:06 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Well that's the thing, initially he was going to do joeZ but they talked him into getting custom because "lifetime warranty at the shop" blah blah and they also said it would be cheaper than Joez. When they actually had the car and asked what kind of setup he wanted on the exhaust he said he liked the way the ISS sounded in clips and so that's what they modeled it after. I guess he just said it's whatever and went ahead and paid but I think it's ridiculous.
Old 04-18-13, 12:25 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

back when i had the iss... my friend looked at the setup and said he could have made the same thing for $700.. i almost cried..lol
Old 04-18-13, 12:36 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCM83
Well that's the thing, initially he was going to do joeZ but they talked him into getting custom because "lifetime warranty at the shop" blah blah.
Funny-- I very recently heard the same line, verbatim, on the same topic.
Old 04-18-13, 12:39 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a custom tig welded stainless set up done by a real good fabricator in town. It's basically modeled after the joe z, work was top notch, looks like a piece of art IMO. My initial motivation was to save a few bucks, but in the end I probably ended up saving about 50$ off a joe z set up. I have no regrets but the fabricator does good work so i was confident it wouldn't come out second rate.
Old 04-18-13, 03:41 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Funny-- I very recently heard the same line, verbatim, on the same topic.
lol bet you heard it from the same shop, there is really one one in MD that I know of

So I just went out to listen to my friends car and I gotta say it DOES sound good. He got headers, exhaust, intake all done at the same time. I got under the car to take a peak at the exhaust and it does look like they did a good job, I just don't know that I would pay the same price as what ISS is charging.
Old 04-18-13, 05:51 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If your trying to save a few bucks the Borla full exhaust is a grand and has a lifetime warranty. Why you wouldnt cough up the money for Joe Z or ISS makes no sense IMO. They are very very high quality set ups and your not going into an exhaust not knowing how it will sound or how much it will drone. Three years of straight abuse and my Joe Z sounds and performs as it did day one, it is a fantastic exhaust.
Old 04-18-13, 09:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by darbs242

Three years of straight abuse and my Joe Z sounds and performs as it did day one, it is a fantastic exhaust.
Love this True testimonial..!!!

Thank You

~ Joe Z
Old 04-19-13, 02:11 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Three years of straight abuse and my Joe Z sounds and performs as it did day one, it is a fantastic exhaust.
Two years of straight abuse down here in Oz, same, performs as it did day one, absolutely brillant system.

Why stuff around, get the tried and proven.
Old 04-19-13, 04:28 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Mine set me back about 1400 in total. Had it done exactly how I wanted using high quality materials.

Originally Posted by amgone75
back when i had the iss... my friend looked at the setup and said he could have made the same thing for $700.. i almost cried..lol
Im pretty sure thats the price they get their exhaust for lol. Word is that they dont produce their own exhaust, but actually have it done by a local muffler shop.

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 04-19-13 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 10:23 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I think Royal Muffler charged around $2k for a custom exhaust for the IS-F. I would rather go Joe Z or ISS in that case.
Old 04-19-13, 11:49 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amgone75
Give me your friend's number.. lets make it happen!
Old 04-19-13, 12:06 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I think Royal Muffler charged around $2k for a custom exhaust for the IS-F. I would rather go Joe Z or ISS in that case.
Oh really?? Well maybe the price isn't too bad then. After doing some research on the ISS it seems they are just using magnaflow mufflers anyways so I don't see any reason why the shop's exhaust would be any different (looked under my friends car and they appear to be the exact same mufflers)
Old 04-19-13, 12:43 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had custom exhaust built a few years ago and it was double the cost of a mass produced exhaust! Like most here I also considered the work top notch. Like most things you pay for what you get.

Quick Reply: How many of you have custom exhaust and what did you pay?