IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Selling the ISF???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 02:14 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling the ISF???

Someone talk me out of these crazy thoughts. I LOVE the ISF but have always had strong feelings for the NSX. I don't Need a 4dr car, I have other cars for the kids etc... The ISF is just a weekend car for me. Every time I drive the ISF I forget about the desire to own an NSX but those feelings come back strong shortly after my drive is over.

Anyone on here that can chime in that has owned both?

I know these are very different cars, driving emotions etc... but they are similar in the fact that you don't see them every day. I would be afraid that if I sold the F I would regret it. The very real possibility that no future ISFs will be made with the V8 makes this car more special. I can see the ISF as having a similar cult following like that of the Supra, NSX, RX7 etc..

I have held off on the NSX purchase for years because of the price compared to the age of the car, there are plenty of quality cars to be had for similar prices (Im looking at 2002-2004 models). Used 997TTs come to mind. These are in a similar price range and have higher performance out of the box but these are also dime a dozen in So Cal.
Old 04-17-13, 02:22 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not own both?
Old 04-17-13, 02:24 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not going to talk you out of it, but I can see how the NSX would be a good choice reliability/ repair cost wise

My cousin has one, I always tease about how its the most exotic honda accord ever.

NSX is a great car but i'm thinking its a downgrade

+1 on owning both..
Old 04-17-13, 02:38 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

You have to be careful buying a NSX. I know a lot of the parts surplus OEM parts that were in Japan got destroyed when the tsunami hit. Parts are harder to come by these days keep that in mind as well. I love the NSX though and my body shop guy actually has one. They are nice to look at.
Old 04-17-13, 02:40 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Underpowered for sure compared to the F, even the last year model. But it looks like nothing else and it will stand out. Modding it is pointless unless for the curcuit, because its not a drag or 60-130car with all the forced induction in the world.

~Dv8
Old 04-17-13, 03:18 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
Why not own both?
Garage Space.... My Wife's Jeep SRT8 and the ISF are in the garage with the deep section of the garage used for a fitness and shop set up... I have a lifted Tundra on the side of the house in my RV access behind a gate. I don't like the look of cars sitting in the driveway. I have no more room

There is an office space I have my eye on that is mixed use, its 80% office with a small warehouse in the back. That would work perfectly..... hmmmm

DV8 your exactly right, the NSX is underpowered and would be a downgrade in that department for sure.
Old 04-17-13, 03:26 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Just dont come back to us and say u'll miss the F like most of the members here Do what makes you happy
Old 04-17-13, 03:46 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Always been a huge Honda fan and have owned several of their more performance oriented offerings over the years. Never owned an NSX but have ridden in one. It is a sexy car, and the one I rode in had the Comptech exhaust so it sounded awesome too. It practically sits ON the ground, so it feels very exotic too. That said, it is isn'tvery fast and some say not even as fun to drive as an S2000. For the price clean ones are going for on the used market, I'd pass.

Rick (S4Play) could give you some perspective on owning and driving both.
Old 04-17-13, 04:23 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

I have both and as others have mentioned they're completely different cars, the torque of the IS-F is crazy making it fun in a straight line setting but feels heavy while cornering.

The NSX feels more like a sports car, it has a very low seating position and being able to hear the engine behind you is a unique experience especially in vtec range.

As VBB stated the NSX is not as fun to drive as the S2000 and I would agree with that. I daily a S2000 and it feels lighter and easier to "flick" but the NSX is definitely my favorite of the bunch and by a long margin. It just looks and feels special.

If its strictly a weekend car and you don't need the rear doors/seats of the IS-F, I say go for the NSX. You only live once...unless your buddhist.
Old 04-17-13, 05:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I say if you continue to have the itch, go for it. Definitely try to find one that wasn't abused or manhandled extensively. I get that same feeling with the MKIV Supra. I'm pretty particular about what I'd like (Imperial Jade Mica, 1998), so that helps because I know I'll unlikely find one nearby. Unlike most who have modded a Supra, I would keep it stock- truthfully. Will I ever get to have it in my garage? Honestly, I don't think so anymore. I have the F, and then there will be the Swagger Wagon soon, and my fiance wants her LX. Three car garage, and as others have mentioned, I'm not keen on having cars parked in the driveway. But certainly get it if you feel you can part with the F. With older heritage cars like the NSX and Supra, I think they're great to have in the stable, but the F is a tremendous car all around. Best of luck!
Old 04-17-13, 06:49 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Id do it then throw a supercharger on it lol
Old 04-17-13, 07:50 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Originally Posted by jsl757
I have both and as others have mentioned they're completely different cars, the torque of the IS-F is crazy making it fun in a straight line setting but feels heavy while cornering.

The NSX feels more like a sports car, it has a very low seating position and being able to hear the engine behind you is a unique experience especially in vtec range.

As VBB stated the NSX is not as fun to drive as the S2000 and I would agree with that. I daily a S2000 and it feels lighter and easier to "flick" but the NSX is definitely my favorite of the bunch and by a long margin. It just looks and feels special.

If its strictly a weekend car and you don't need the rear doors/seats of the IS-F, I say go for the NSX. You only live once...unless your buddhist.
Thanks everyone for the comments. The NSX I have in mind has a supercharger on it already so that may help with some of the torque and overall underpower issues. Im going to get some seat time in the NSX and then make my decision.

S2000 for a weekend/ track car would be interesting....
Old 04-17-13, 09:13 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsl757

I've had both as well, went to the F from my nsx. My experience with the nsx wasn't so positive, having had numerous issues with the motor and transmission. The car flat out sounds like sex when you open it up with an exhaust and an intake, and it is a fun car to drive around just because it does feel pretty exotic compared to 99% of the cars on the road. IMO I too agree that my s2000 I daily now is so much more fun to drive and feels much more like a sports car that the nsx believe it or not. I have the best of both worlds now with an F for the weekend and an s2000 as a daily. The nsx in my mind would be fun but I doubt you'd wanna daily it and rack up the miles on such a rare car(I know I didn't). Id say keep the F and get an s2000.
Old 04-17-13, 10:19 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd keep the F, get a NSX now...the 997 porsche is nice, but you can get that later. I love the NSX, but only when it's modified.

Maybe you can get a S2000 as well...then the 997 porsche. I'd keep all 4....sorry...I'm no help.
Old 04-17-13, 10:19 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

NSX is probably the next car on my list. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet and I'm hoping it's a driver's car like the S2000. I don't mind the lack of torque as those cars are meant to be driven at a higher RPM and enjoy the VTEC.

As of now, I have the F and 2005 AP2. Believe it or not, I enjoy driving the AP2 a lot more than the F. The balance and handling make up for the lack of power. Personally, no traction control and drive by wire is a major plus. If you do look for a S2000, take your time and find a clean 04-05 model.

Terrance

Quick Reply: Selling the ISF???