IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Join me for a track day!

Old 04-16-13, 02:37 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Join me for a track day!

hey guys, as we get closer to summer I just signed up for 3 road course days in the north east and was hoping maybe a few other F owners have the time to get out on the track. I signed up with Bertil Roos racing school. It cost 400 bucks and you will get 3 full hours on the track on any given day, with an instructor if you would like in the novice group. They have two groups, novice and solo. There is no speed and much less passing restriction in the solo group for the driver with some track experience. I signed up for June 18th, July 25 & aug 20th. June and august are on the north track at pocono raceway and July is at NJMP in jersey which is a very nice track. Either of these tracks allow the F to easily get up past 125 mph and is just a great time with a good mix of cars and different levels of driver ability. I have been road racing with this groupmfor the last three years and have been very happy with the experience and the amount of track time. Let's get some people signed up!
Old 04-16-13, 07:13 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might take you up on this. I will be at VIR May 4-5th. I have done a lot of HPDE's with my 350z at Summit Point. The F has already been on VIR as well. Don't expect a lot of responses to this thread. I posted the same thing about VIR and no one responded as well.
Old 04-16-13, 07:44 PM
darbs242
Racer

That would be fun. ^^^ il be there
Old 04-16-13, 08:19 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NJMP is 40 min from me. I might do that event. Do you get separate track insurance for your car?
Old 04-16-13, 09:20 PM
darbs242
Racer

Naw... even if you spin off at njmp you will just go in the sand. I have never added extra insuance and I don't believe any one does. It's a good time you should come, I drive like 8 hours to run the track.
Old 04-16-13, 11:11 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to join you darbs, but I'm keeping my budget tight and I've pre-paid for a couple Toronto area events. I'd love to come join you guys maybe later this year! It would be awesome to be able to share tips and the experience with other F drivers.
Old 04-17-13, 06:25 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I might take you up on this. I will be at VIR May 4-5th. I have done a lot of HPDE's with my 350z at Summit Point. The F has already been on VIR as well. Don't expect a lot of responses to this thread. I posted the same thing about VIR and no one responded as well.
I'd love to do VIR with you at some point, but I am a track rookie and my F is a daily driver. I still plan to track it at least once though, and VIR isn't TOO far away.
Old 04-17-13, 10:15 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHRP
NJMP is 40 min from me. I might do that event. Do you get separate track insurance for your car?
Sometimes just asking your insurance company if they have track insurance can lead them to dropping you. That's why picking a track with barriers far away at turns is a win-win situation. Like Darbs said, you just spin out either in the dirt, grass, or sand. No harm to the car.
Old 04-17-13, 10:31 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Sometimes just asking your insurance company if they have track insurance can lead them to dropping you. That's why picking a track with barriers far away at turns is a win-win situation. Like Darbs said, you just spin out either in the dirt, grass, or sand. No harm to the car.
Without close barrier's they still have bunkers to protect other portions of the track.. and I've never seen a car spin out into the dirt/sand and not damage a critical component of their suspension. Sure they might have a total loss but its very expensive to fix.
Old 04-18-13, 12:15 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Without close barrier's they still have bunkers to protect other portions of the track.. and I've never seen a car spin out into the dirt/sand and not damage a critical component of their suspension. Sure they might have a total loss but its very expensive to fix.
You used the word "Never"...... Do you really mean it? I can tell you two people who track their Fs here (maybe Lobux too, so that's 3) who have spun out and didn't damange anything critical in their suspension.

Now why would a track have "bunkers" at the most vulnerable spot for spin outs (aka turns) or any bunkers at all? Probably not alot of drivers will go to this track then. I recommend you stay away from this track then. This track you're talking about sounds like a golf course with hazards.

Sure there are barriers , as a matter of fact the track I go to has a small bridge over a small stream and many guard rails and barriers, BUT the difference is that these barriers, guard rails, and bridge is on a straightaway.

It's fun, you just have to choose your track wisely and be smart about it. Take your time at the track. With google earth, its so easy to study a track before committing.
Old 04-18-13, 12:54 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

You used the word "Never"...... Do you really mean it? I can tell you two people who track their Fs here (maybe Lobux too, so that's 3) who have spun out and didn't damange anything critical in their suspension.

Now why would a track have "bunkers" at the most vulnerable spot for spin outs (aka turns) or any bunkers at all? Probably not alot of drivers will go to this track then. I recommend you stay away from this track then. This track you're talking about sounds like a golf course with hazards.

Sure there are barriers , as a matter of fact the track I go to has a small bridge over a small stream and many guard rails and barriers, BUT the difference is that these barriers, guard rails, and bridge is on a straightaway.

It's fun, you just have to choose your track wisely and be smart about it. Take your time at the track. With google earth, its so easy to study a track before committing.
I said "i've" never seen any. Yes I mean it and sure you can spin out and not damage anything but dump your car in the sand going sideways and it'll surely screw something up thats a fact. This is why they teach you to go straight into the sand (when you missed your braking point) not sideways.

A lot of tracks have slight elevation changes, guess what that means there may possibly be a bunker somewhere.. and tracks sometimes design this so if the car loses their brakes on a a sharp hairpin.. they won't go flying past the hairpin into the sand and back into another part of the track hitting other cars.
Old 04-18-13, 01:19 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Best to refer to a track session as "driver education" .... which it really is.
Old 04-18-13, 06:33 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
I'd love to do VIR with you at some point, but I am a track rookie and my F is a daily driver. I still plan to track it at least once though, and VIR isn't TOO far away.
That's great. We need more F's in the Mid-Atlantic area that go to the track.

Also here is the link to the HPDE track insurance for anyone interested. It's what i use.

http://locktonmotorsports.com/produc...onaffinity.com
Old 04-18-13, 09:52 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Only if u r in Socal , those months u mentioned are super hot for track :P
Old 04-18-13, 11:14 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Only if u r in Socal , those months u mentioned are super hot for track :P
Yeah, I went to the track in August once.. worst idea ever. My engine/transmission didn't overheat but the tires and brakes did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Join me for a track day!