IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 C63 AMG vs ISF with full bolt ons.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
"Turbochargers create torque, and torque creates fun"! (Corkey Bell, Maximum Boost)

550 bhp and 531 lbs-ft.............

These guys are fast.
Torque at the engine doesn't mean much. Area under the torque curve means a lot, and gearing takes care of the rest. Torque at the wheel is what really counts. Rather amazing how fast those F1 cars accelerate with less than 400 lbft of torque. And if it really was all about torque, everyone would own a diesel. They rule for torque.

I only care about the power curve because I can fix torque with the gearbox as the F1 cars so elegantly prove.
Old 04-26-13, 04:15 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to try out some runs with the E63.
Old 04-26-13, 04:31 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Torque at the engine doesn't mean much. Area under the torque curve means a lot, and gearing takes care of the rest. Torque at the wheel is what really counts. Rather amazing how fast those F1 cars accelerate with less than 400 lbft of torque. And if it really was all about torque, everyone would own a diesel. They rule for torque.

I only care about the power curve because I can fix torque with the gearbox as the F1 cars so elegantly prove.
This is correct. Area under the torque curve (normalized for weight) is the best approximation for performance. Gearing and other factors also come into play, so even that is not perfect.

But citing peak horsepower is just a really bad way to assess straight line performance. I don't understand the industry's fascination with peak HP. peak HP/weight is slightly better. Area under the torque curve is a lot better, if you had to cite just one number.
Old 04-26-13, 06:37 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Old 04-26-13, 07:14 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I really love the C63, considered getting one but couldn't find one close to test drive, found an F real close and the rest is history. A used F is honestly probably a stretch for me financially and a much higher car payment would probably not be wise. If i had money to burn I probably would have picked up a C63 but for me I can't afford the car and random stuff breaking all the time. With the F I don't feel like I ever need to worry about it (plus it was 1700 for an extra 4 years of coverage)
Old 04-26-13, 07:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And more...

:
Old 04-27-13, 04:57 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with the area under the curve, was just giving an idea of the car's advertised power since it ran away from the 'F'.
Old 05-03-13, 09:59 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Well, I give credit where it's due. He pulls me ever so slightly (C63 AMG P31 package). We went out and had a little fun tonight and I just couldn't quite yank him. We went a few times from around 40 to 100 and I jump ever so slightly and he'd real me in by the time we got off the gas. Was really hoping to be right there with him but it just wasn't happening. I guess a tune would be my only saving grace. That's a fast car.
Old 05-03-13, 10:22 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Well, I give credit where it's due. He pulls me ever so slightly (C63 AMG P31 package). We went out and had a little fun tonight and I just couldn't quite yank him. We went a few times from around 40 to 100 and I jump ever so slightly and he'd real me in by the time we got off the gas. Was really hoping to be right there with him but it just wasn't happening. I guess a tune would be my only saving grace. That's a fast car.
Did you go at it from a dig?
Old 05-03-13, 10:31 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Same from a dig. I was thinking I just couldn't hook up, but it didn't matter. He was driving with the car in automatic. I was in manual and sport mode and bouncing the limiter ever so slightly. Just couldn't take it. It was VERY close, but no matter what, I couldn't pull. I'm a bit bit disappointed but it is what it is. I thought I could take him after beating an E63, but I didn't. I must say the P31 is an impressive car. It does make me feel better that he beat a Boss 302 much worse.
Old 05-03-13, 11:03 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

So, is he completely stock that he was driving it only in automatic? Was he that completely confident that he could beat you? Or is the AMG really faster in automatic?

Sorry for the questions..
Old 05-04-13, 02:07 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
First vid may have been me. I always had the edge against my buddy's M3. Makes me miss the isf.
Old 05-04-13, 03:41 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually surprised that the C63 walked you. HP vs. HP wise, with full headers and exhaust you guys should be similar (unless he's underrated) and then the 200 pounds. Wait, did you keep the subs in?
Old 05-04-13, 04:22 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove the C63 yesterday with the performance package. The salesman told me "we're doing big deals on these at the moment because we have 5 demonstrators we need to sell". He was trying to get me to hop over from my F to a C63 by taking over my loan and increasing the monthly payments slightly.

I took it for quite a long drive, and there are pluses and minuses. Maybe I went into it thinking the C63 would be a torque monster, but when I really got into it, I didn't feel it had that much more than my F with an exhaust. It did sound good, but so does my F. The C63 sounds more agricultural and muscle car, the F sounds a bit more race car like.

The F felt more nimble to me, the C63 really needed some finesse in laying down power to prevent wheelspin.

The interior was nice, but so is the F. The F's seats are more comfortable. The F is probably more reliable. The C63 has more street cred. And the list goes on.

At the end of the day, I simply could not find a reason to switch over. The C63 would be very tempting if I didn't already have the F, but as it is now, it's not big enough for me to switch over and contend with higher running costs and possibly less reliability.
Old 05-06-13, 06:32 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I'm actually surprised that the C63 walked you. HP vs. HP wise, with full headers and exhaust you guys should be similar (unless he's underrated) and then the 200 pounds. Wait, did you keep the subs in?
He actually DOES believe its underrated. He thinks its more in line with 510hp, but they cant advertise that. Much like how BMW has their 335i. It ran more like a CTS-V! Yes, I did have my sub in and it's probably 50lbs. Also had 3/4 tank of gas to his 1/2 tank. Remember it was VERY close. He was just barely inching on me. He said I was much faster than a Boss 302 he had beat up on.

Quick Reply: 2013 C63 AMG vs ISF with full bolt ons.