my windshield just decided to crack today - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 08:44 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Safelite repair Safelite replace.... commercial is stuck in my head
Yeah takes them bout 3-4 try's to get it right. They tried to reuse clips,and moldings then the wind noise was horrible. They had to remove and reinstall it at least twice to try and get it right. Good luck ths is the reason I have a 250 deductible for glass breakage.

Last edited by fasttexasz; 04-12-13 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-12-13, 10:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

My reply to another thread:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not doing the install, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.

Lou
Lou