IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Google Maps to nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 09:30 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Google Maps to nav

Not sure if we can do this. We have a meet and drive on the 20th and I'm trying to figure out if I can download the map from google to my nav. My car is a 2011 FWIW.
Old 04-08-13, 10:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really wish Google would start teaming up with car manufacturers to design the software for navigation systems. Google maps on my Android phone has almost never failed me......whereas the Lexus GPS.......let's not go there.
Old 04-08-13, 11:08 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hahah VJ...u need to update your maps, did u update since u bought the car? let me know. I don't think our nav can do such a thing with google maps unless you go aftermarket. I know there is something that vaistech and probably other companies as well is releasing that lets you emulate what is showing on your phone to show up on your screen.
Old 04-08-13, 11:12 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Teo do you have the update disc I can borrow?

And +1 on what Teo said.... here's a link to the Vaistech product for android devices. I believe the interface will show up on your nav screen: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/iVIC-droid.php
Old 04-08-13, 11:17 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I really wish Google would start teaming up with car manufacturers to design the software for navigation systems. Google maps on my Android phone has almost never failed me......whereas the Lexus GPS.......let's not go there.
hahha my thoughts exactly. I always use my iphone if I need nav since the nav in the 08 F is TERRIBLE!
Old 04-08-13, 11:19 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I think my car will do it, but I believe it's thru Enform, which mine just expired. Not worth paying for it just to get e-destinations.
Old 04-08-13, 11:29 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Not sure if we can do this. We have a meet and drive on the 20th and I'm trying to figure out if I can download the map from google to my nav. My car is a 2011 FWIW.
Google in the Nav isn't possible, I too wish it was. Lexus nav is absolutely terrible. I always use Google maps while listening to Lexus maps guide me the wrong way. One of the best aftermarket navis I've used is from Kenwood, and that's because their GPS/nav system is built by Garmin. Aside from navigating I use Bing maps A LOT for land/terrain navigation! If you're plotting points, using coords, and determining terrain features Bing is awesome! Just FYI
Old 04-08-13, 11:31 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I think my car will do it, but I believe it's thru Enform, which mine just expired. Not worth paying for it just to get e-destinations.
What powers e-destinations? I haven't used it
Old 04-08-13, 12:05 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Quite frankly, I'm not real sure how any of it works. I finally went out to the car during lunch, and just started plotting points and saving to my address book. Problem is they aren't stopping points and I have to reroute every time I hit a point. Heck I might just use my ipad as the route is on the BMW Ulitmate Drive app.
Old 04-08-13, 12:20 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google map is way better compare any maps out there. I hated when I updated my iphone that started using apple's crappy maps. good thing they brought it back but you have to download it manually. I don't think you can use google map with OEM nav. best thing you can do is update your map cd or use your phone as GPS.
Old 04-08-13, 12:47 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what you are talking about my car's navigation has never gotten me lost. Here in Va it is on point.
Old 04-08-13, 12:52 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^ Try navigating your way in NY/NJ with your F'n GPS
Old 04-08-13, 01:02 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the stuff about lexus enform, I don't think you can. The app suite for it only contains several app not including google maps. The features I am looking at u would still need to use the phone from their demonstration video using e-destination to send from your phone the coordinates of the place your going to the cars navigation. I could be wrong if they updated it to include it but looking at the website the closes thing would be yelp, facebook places and bing.
VJ it is even worst in PA. well around the poconos is what I experience.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 04-08-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 02:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I just took a survey from Lexus on in-car entertainment and I told them to stop wasting money on electronics that will be outdated by the time the car is released. The '08 nav is horrible compared to Nokia nav on my Nokia 920, and the Nokia maps beats anything handheld I've ever used.

I honestly regret spending the money for nav. Even with the latest updates, it's pretty worthless IMHO. Give me a place to mount a tablet and a USB power plug - it's all I really need.
Old 04-08-13, 02:46 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just took a survey from Lexus on in-car entertainment and I told them to stop wasting money on electronics that will be outdated by the time the car is released. The '08 nav is horrible compared to Nokia nav on my Nokia 920, and the Nokia maps beats anything handheld I've ever used.

I honestly regret spending the money for nav. Even with the latest updates, it's pretty worthless IMHO. Give me a place to mount a tablet and a USB power plug - it's all I really need.
Funny you say that...I'm currently shopping online for an in car iPad mount.

Quick Reply: Google Maps to nav