Print Wikipost

Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 09:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I dunno, maybe because the OEM pads melt at CMP? So would all the others you mentioned.
Are we talking about track pads here? The OP never mentioned anything about CMP. I also stated these are at best, AutoX pads and nothing more. Obviously track pads are dedicated sets that serve their purpose which I wouldn't have proposed in the first place.

So I don't get your statement, which has nothing to do with what I stated previously.
Old 04-09-13, 12:43 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XP12 don't have a long first brake at all. They are noisy and they tend to eat rotors at lower temperatures. With very light pedal pressure, these pads will bounce you off the shoulder harnesses.

Just because you don't have speed limits on the Autobahn doesn't mean a full race pad is your best choice, nor does it mean you will be happy with the same pad that works well on Nordschleife while on the Autobahn.

I run XP12 front and XP10 rear at a track known for being the hardest in the Southeast US on brakes. There are four braking zones per lap, each lap is under 2 minutes, and the braking zones are all from at least 160 km/hr. Road Atlanta and VIR would not require this same temperature resistance, nor would any of the other tracks I've seen here.

If your usage is disparate but frequent enough to consider track pads for daily driving it might make sense to run Carbotech. You might also consider Pagid. While not inexpensive, they are quite good and they make fitments for the IS-F's calipers. They just don't call out the fitment on their website. Look for MB SLK55 AMG 2004 & later pads. They fit our calipers perfectly, we just don't need the sensor mount.
Im not all that concerned with Autobahn speeds, but would like to just have a better all around pad than stock and am not so concerned about spending 100$ more for a better pad...
Any option I choose will be expensive as there are no proper companies that stock any of the popular brands and the stock pads for the front will run around 1000$ here.

Further, I need front and back, otherwise I might have choosen the Ferodo, because I can get them here, but they only offer fronts.
I noticed the calipers for the SLK55 are the same as some companies use the part-number for the fronts, but that isnt the case with the rears.
That is the initial problem and why Im looking at importing the pads, the fronts are available, but extremely pricy (Ferodo are 350$ just for the fronts) and no rears available from any local brand, but OEM that run nearly 1k$.

Hence I'd rather spend 50-100$ more for a better pad setup, but have no first hand experience with semi/full track pads and I would not consider EBC that at all!
Old 04-09-13, 07:48 AM
GillisF
Driver School Candidate

It would be throwing a dart. I ran Hawk HPS on my Supra and they're fine for street driving, but I've heard other people say they're awful, so it's possible something has changed since I put those in (over 10 years ago now). I know guys who swear by Porterfield as well, but they're no bargain compared to the really low price options.
Originally Posted by ISFpat
HPS has a fairly weak bite IMO.
IMO in order of aggressiveness (street/autox pads only)
Hawk HP+, Axxis Ult, Stoptech, HPS
Overall in my experience the majority of peoples opinion of Hawk pads comes from their comparison to their stock pads. For guys that are coming from a standard compact car the Hawk HPS or Street Performance is a nice slightly upgraded pad. But in other cases line an EVO or STI that come from the factory Brembo brakes, the Brembo pads are actually more aggressive then the HPS. So when guys replace there pads with a HPS they don't like them a lot of times.

Our factory pads are definitely more of an aggressive pad which contain more metal in them causing them to be slightly noisy and dusty. If you want aggressive pad/feel there's no real way around those two. I've personally ran the Hawk HPS, StopTech Street Performance and Porterfield R4-S pads on my previous vehicle and they all have their place. I probably liked the Porterfields the best, but it has been a few years since I ran them.

In the end I feel like it all boils down to personal preference and what you want out of your brakes. I think the Hawk HPS and Stoptech StreetPerformance will do fine if you're not picky and use it for your DD. The Hawk HP+ will give you better braking than the previous two, but will be noisy. If you want to keep the stock "bite" feel or better, I would say go with the ProjectMu, Ferodo, OEM and Porterfield. This is just my opinion from experience, others might disagree.

Last edited by GillisF; 04-09-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 08:07 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I ran Ferodo pads on all my race bikes and would never change from them. They worked like magic for street and track. I've never run them on a car though.
Hey Lance, I also got into Ferodo from my days in the saddle. I used to ride a HD Lowrider. I used Ferodo pads on it years ago, and swore when I got a car good enough for Ferodo street/track pads I would switch over. Well I now have that car, and I couldn't be happier with the Ferodos. IMHO, the Ferodo DS2500 is a great street pad.

You really should try them

Originally Posted by GillisF
In the end I feel like it all boils down to personal preference and what you want out of your brakes. I think the Hawk HPS and Stoptech StreetPerformance will do fine if you're not picky and use it for your DD. The Hawk HP+ will give you better braking than the previous two, but will be noisy. If you want to keep the stock "bite" feel or better, I would say go with the ProjectMu, Ferodo, OEM and Porterfield. This is just my opinion from experience, others might disagree.
Welcome to the forum. You expressed my thoughts better than I could have. It really all boils down to trade offs and what you expect from your car. Since the ISF is, IMHO, a high performance machine equipped with an expensive set of big brakes from the factory, it only makes sense to maintain that dual street/track brake performance and not put on a set of inexpensive pads with a pad material designed for my grandmother.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-09-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 08:33 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Hey Lance, I also got into Ferodo from my days in the saddle. I used to ride a HD Lowrider. I used Ferodo pads on it years ago, and swore when I got a car good enough for Ferodo street/track pads I would switch over. Well I now have that car, and I couldn't be happier with the Ferodos. IMHO, the Ferodo DS2500 is a great street pad.

You really should try them

Welcome to the forum. You expressed my thoughts better than I could have. It really all boils down to trade offs and what you expect from your car. Since the ISF is, IMHO, a high performance machine equipped with an expensive set of big brakes from the factory, it only makes sense to maintain that dual street/track brake performance and not put on a set of inexpensive pads with a pad material designed for my grandmother.

Lou
This and what Gillisf said seems to sum up most of the experiences and comparisons I've read. The Ferodo were noted as being less noisy than the HP+ in all the tests, but it also depended on the calipers used. I'll probably get a set of Ferodos to try and see how they do for street/track, but I'm also uncertian about what to do with the rear pads besides paying out for OEM rear pads.
Old 04-09-13, 10:36 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^A wise decision IMHO. Don't forget they are available from our site sponsor here:

http://speed-freaks.net/i-10417288-f...rake-pads.html

Use the CL discount code CL10 and get another 10% off.

For the rears Carbotech or Project Mu would be a good choice, also available at Speed-Freaks.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-09-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

HPS has a fairly weak bite IMO.

IMO in order of aggressiveness (street/autox pads only)
Hawk HP+, Axxis Ult, Stoptech, HPS

Like I said before, Hawk's are known to be loud and also expensive for what they do. If the OEM pad is so good and you don't care about dusting then why are you switching them out? Doesn't make any sense to try a different pad if you don't have any real expectations.
I dunno, maybe because the OEM pads melt at CMP? So would all the others you mentioned.
Are we talking about track pads here? The OP never mentioned anything about CMP. I also stated these are at best, AutoX pads and nothing more. Obviously track pads are dedicated sets that serve their purpose which I wouldn't have proposed in the first place.

So I don't get your statement, which has nothing to do with what I stated previously.
Maybe I misunderstood your post. Sounded like you were directing the bolded comments to me since the response was directly related to something I said.

And yes, we're talking about using track pads for daily driving and discussing all options for DD and light track use.
Old 04-09-13, 10:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
...For the rears Carbotech, also available at Speed-Freaks.

Lou
FWIW, the rear brakes hardly wear at all. I still haven't even got to 50% pad, and the rotors still have more than 50% left and that's after 4 track weekends and 82k miles. Worrying about the rears is only serious if you're using the eLSD function a lot.
Old 04-09-13, 10:52 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Great, thanks Lou. Which Carbotech pads for the rear?
Old 04-09-13, 11:06 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

FWIW, the rear brakes hardly wear at all. I still haven't even got to 50% pad, and the rotors still have more than 50% left and that's after 4 track weekends and 82k miles. Worrying about the rears is only serious if you're using the eLSD function a lot.
Yea, I really wish I knew where my stock rear pads are. While I agree 100%, I'm not sure if the stoptechs are in the same realm of being balanced with the ferodo up front.
Old 04-09-13, 11:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
Great, thanks Lou. Which Carbotech pads for the rear?
For the rears - the 1521. Here:

http://speed-freaks.net/i-8936529-ca...is-f-rear.html

And again, don't forget the CL10 discount

Lou
Old 04-09-13, 12:25 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of new stop tech front and rears. Let me know if you want them. I got new pads from the dealership for free so I have no use for these.
Old 04-09-13, 08:22 PM
toky916
Pole Position

So ferodo's are street/track pads right ? Compared to the stock just less noisy ?
Old 04-09-13, 10:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yes they are street/track pads. I never had any noise from the OEM Pads and I have none with the Ferodo DS2500. However, IMHO, the feel of the Ferodo is superior to the OEM Pads. And, during the bedding process they showed absolutely no signs of fade and they have performed admirably since the installation. I have not had them on the track, but in aggressive street maneuvers, they inspire confidence and faith. I guess by now, you might have guessed that I am extremely happy with the Ferodos. And, BTW, they do dust, but it's less than the OEMs.

Lou
Old 04-10-13, 03:47 AM
toky916
Pole Position

I've only had noise on mine for the first 6 months drove me nuts thinking i just spent that much in a new car and every light i pull up to ppl look like i need fix them took it to the dealer and they switched the pads ect... Idk what they exactly did but new pads had some Noise for a few weeks now it just disappeared ?
I guess im going to try the ferodo's soon and project mu rears sounds like a good set up .

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech