Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

     
Old 12-16-14, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-13, 07:12 PM   #16
streetx
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 982
Default

i got my stoptechs from rockauto.com
streetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 08:23 PM   #17
Beachtyme
Lead Lap
iTrader: (1)
 
Beachtyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Beach
Posts: 446
Default

No one is using the Hawk ceramics?
Beachtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 09:24 PM   #18
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
ShadowISF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal.
Posts: 2,019
Default

I'm using Project Mu up front. A LOT less dust and same bit and braking power as OEM.
ShadowISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 03:58 PM   #19
cha7Li3
Driver
 
cha7Li3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachtyme View Post
No one is using the Hawk ceramics?
This guys knows

If you want something that's also a good price try Hawks street performance. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Been on it for the last 20,000 miles and they still feel good. $118
cha7Li3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 07:22 PM   #20
Super6
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Super6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 153
Default

For those interested, iphone pic of the project mu and stoptech rotors
Attached Thumbnails
Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech-mu.jpg  
Super6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 09:34 PM   #21
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NV
Posts: 41
Default

love my stoptechs so far. Less dust, great bite and can't go wrong with the price... $88 on amazon.
VegasISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 01:35 PM   #22
oddjob142
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: tx
Posts: 22
Default

Rockauto 75 bucks shipped. FYI
oddjob142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 03:42 PM   #23
cha7Li3
Driver
 
cha7Li3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super6 View Post
For those interested, iphone pic of the project mu and stoptech rotors
How much and where did you get the stoptech rotors from. I searched there site, didn't seem like they offer rotors. Only rotors I saw came with the big brake kits.
cha7Li3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 03:47 PM   #24
darbs242
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
darbs242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ny
Posts: 1,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachtyme View Post
No one is using the Hawk ceramics?
Hawks suck on our cars... So noisy I thought my brakes were broke.
darbs242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 03:49 PM   #25
ISFpat
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
ISFpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,662
Default

Hawks suck on every car.. always noisy and overpriced.
ISFpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 03:57 PM   #26
ISF4life
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (30)
 
ISF4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal714
Posts: 5,237
Default

Do it once and do it rite, Project Mu all the way u never hear any negative thing from them not one not ever
ISF4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:03 PM   #27
Super6
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Super6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha7Li3 View Post
How much and where did you get the stoptech rotors from. I searched there site, didn't seem like they offer rotors. Only rotors I saw came with the big brake kits.
pm this guy
b2designs

He's one of the sponsors and has a great price delivered!
Super6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:08 PM   #28
CarbonISF
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ON
Posts: 95
Default

Assuming you want performance or want to track your car occasionally, here is what I found:

I've used the stoptech performance pads and you get what you pay for... You will immediately notice reduced initial bite and lower friction at all temperatures. They also require a little more effort to clear the rotors of any road spray like a ceramic pad. At the track the brakes never failed, but it didn't have the same confidence as the stock pads. After the track, it feels like they have be permanently altered from the heat cycling and I plan on throwing them out before the next track day.

If you are interested in keeping your F a high performance machine, Lou's recommendation of Ferodos is a good bet, or try EBC Blue Stuff, Endless, OEM, or other streetable track pad.
CarbonISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 08:04 PM   #29
ISFpat
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
ISFpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonISF View Post
Assuming you want performance or want to track your car occasionally, here is what I found:

I've used the stoptech performance pads and you get what you pay for... You will immediately notice reduced initial bite and lower friction at all temperatures. They also require a little more effort to clear the rotors of any road spray like a ceramic pad. At the track the brakes never failed, but it didn't have the same confidence as the stock pads. After the track, it feels like they have be permanently altered from the heat cycling and I plan on throwing them out before the next track day.

If you are interested in keeping your F a high performance machine, Lou's recommendation of Ferodos is a good bet, or try EBC Blue Stuff, Endless, OEM, or other streetable track pad.
Well each pad has an optimal temperature range. You obviously cooked your stoptech pads which are actually street pads, not track pads. Theres a purpose for every type of brake pad out there and you misused yours. Also they reduce brake dust to a normal level at the expense of initial bite. You'll see that most brake pads dust at the expense of bite or vice versa.
ISFpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 06:47 AM   #30
CarbonISF
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ON
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISFpat View Post
Well each pad has an optimal temperature range. You obviously cooked your stoptech pads which are actually street pads, not track pads. Theres a purpose for every type of brake pad out there and you misused yours. Also they reduce brake dust to a normal level at the expense of initial bite. You'll see that most brake pads dust at the expense of bite or vice versa.
Heh, clearly. Just wanted to point this out though, because it wasn't a particularly punishing track event and Stoptech's description suggests otherwise.

"Combining the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for light track days and autocross events"

It was worth experimenting with them because of the dirt cheap cost, but really sub par to the OEM pads on the street and track (big surprise for $80?). As the OP was assuming performance comparable to the OEMs. Sure they can stop the vehicle, but it certainly isn't near the OEM experience.
CarbonISF is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Mu NS brakes pads Lexus ISF In Stock!!! b2designs Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 166 07-14-16 08:43 AM
Brake Pads Navydoc13 IS F (2008-2014) 2 06-09-16 08:20 PM
where to buy felen310 Suspension and Brakes 0 12-30-15 08:45 PM
Project Mu, Brembo, Stoptech Brake FXAuto Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 131 11-30-15 11:48 AM
Hawks performance ceramic pads anyone? kiryu IS F (2008-2014) 25 10-24-15 02:35 AM


Tags
bluestuff, brake, compare, ebc, isf, lexus, mu, pads, performance, porterfield, project, r4, rotors, sc400, stoptech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved