IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The F has learned some new footwork

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 09:16 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The F has learned some new footwork

So I had decided after winter season, I would indulge in a little something(s) for the F. During those months, I typically run a lighter 18 inch narrower wheel combo, and though it's not much for grip, you certainly feel the difference in how the car behaves. Now motivated, I set off with a minor project for spring, and decided to weigh the results. I didn't want to deviate too far from stock, but it did come with a slight nod to appearance (certainly not trying to compete with some of the nicer cars, here on the forum ).

Though I'm all for power adders, I had a specific area of interest in weight reduction, so I decided to update a spreadsheet as I went along. All bold numbers are total savings, and not per corner.

Tires: 7.2 lbs I decided to switch from the factory RE050A tires to slightly wider Pilot Super Sports (maintaining close to overall diameter), after logging a bit under 33k miles (again, I switch during winter for a few months). I suffered the usual inner tire wear, but it wasn't overly extreme. Once I work with a professional to get everything adjusted, I hope to address this on the new rubber. To note, since I didn't weigh them new, I had to reference an outside source for the stockers, but the latter tires came in at 23.4 and 25 lbs, respectively (very close to advertised).

Wheels: 28.4 lbs I decided on Volk G25 wheels, after debating the G12's (the former looked easier to clean ). They're an interesting silver color with a black clear, but mostly look black in the shade, without good lighting (nothing I could capture on my digital cam). I wasn't so sure about the polished lip, at first, but perhaps it will grow on me. The fronts are face 1, while the rears are face 3, +35 and +42 (sizes in sig), with no clearance issues related to the calipers. Nonetheless, I was impressed with the savings-- my OEM wheels weighed 24.8 and 27.4, while the aftermarket wheels came in at 19ish lbs. As it would turn out, surprisingly, these didn't represent the biggest difference in savings.

Brake rotors: 29.2 lbs (+1) One of the nicer looking additions, IMO, the two piece rotors came in at near 30 lbs in savings, weighing 17.4 and 16 lbs, each, front to rear. The rings come pre-torqued, making it an easy process of tossing them on (and they're very easy to toss...). To these I added Carbotech 1521 pads (noticed they were a bit smaller, not taking up the entire face of the ring), which produced much less and lighter dust than OEM, while offering slightly more modulation in the pedal. The +1 = pads + lug nuts savings.

Coilovers: 17 lbs I was curious to see how much these saved, not just in relation to the stock assembly, but relative to non-swift units (anyone?). These came in at 10.5 lbs, each, compared to 14 lbs and 15.5, for the stocks. I still have to readjust the height upwards, while I'm still working on livable damper settings, however, I'm happy with the spring rates at 16k/12k. There are a ton of threads on this, but at softer settings, passengers don't complain, while I do get "feedback" when on the harder end. A happy medium can easily be found.

Grand Total: 82.8 lbs Arriving at the final number, I reached close to 65 lbs in rotational savings, and close to 83 lbs, in total. Looking at the numbers, it appears that I now carry 146.1 lbs in the front, and 146.5 in the rear (for the parts listed), down from 186.6 and 188.8, respectively (also meaning there is a possible slight shift in weight bias towards the front). I'll likely explore some other savings options, in tandem with an eventual corner balance for the car, once I decide on a few other parts/shop, but for now, I'm happy with the little spring time project, as the car is already a lot more responsive to pretty much all inputs. Thanks to Figs and RavSpec, here on our forum, for their professionalism, not to exclude the friendly Search button.

All of this is useless without pics, so here she is in stock form:

Decided to go with BC Coils with Swift springs, 16k/12k.

Figs/RB 2-piece rotors (fronts)

Everything on, but still need to make adjustments.

Since the plastics were really grayish and ashy, I decided to clean the engine up a bit. Next will be the exterior.

Off to enjoy some of the day and tend to a few other things...

Old 04-01-13, 09:19 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice, did you feel a difference with the 2-piece rotors?

I had the same ones of my previous car which made a significant difference in the way the whole steering wheel felt.
Old 04-01-13, 09:49 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by Defratos
Nice, did you feel a difference with the 2-piece rotors?

I had the same ones of my previous car which made a significant difference in the way the whole steering wheel felt.
I did feel a difference, but it definitely grew more dramatic when everything was finally done (though there are other attributes to account for).

Interesting that you mentioned the steering, because one of the other things I'd like to do is get the upgraded steering ECU from the later models. I'm thinking in combination with the Figs LCA bushings, some other bits, and a good alignment, it will produce a very nice overall feel.
Old 04-01-13, 09:59 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looks nice!!! i dont like the polish lip either. was looking at the same wheel, thanks for sharing!!!
Old 04-01-13, 10:04 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice. I just had the 16/12 BC Coilovers with Swifts put on my car this weekend, althought I won't be picking it up until Wednesday. What settings did you net out on as your happy medium?
All very good upgrades so far, car looks great!
Old 04-01-13, 10:30 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Very nice. I just had the 16/12 BC Coilovers with Swifts put on my car this weekend, althought I won't be picking it up until Wednesday. What settings did you net out on as your happy medium?
All very good upgrades so far, car looks great!
20-18 clicks out from hard produced a very soft feel, but more floaty than I'd like, even with passengers. 15 stiffened things up, and passengers didn't seem to mind. 12-10 (again from hard), is closer to where I like it, but this was after the addition of the wheels, which have an impact on how it behaved. Since I mostly drive by myself, I think I will stay there, for the time being.

Enjoy experimenting with your settings, once the car is done.
Old 04-01-13, 10:56 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Great thread! Very informative post and well-thought out. I'm definitely switching to the FIGS rotors when it is time to replace mine. I'm with you though, I'm a little "ehhhh" about the polished lip with the dark face, though I love the style/design of the spoke pattern. They'd look better if the lip were color matched to the face, or if the face were a silver color.
Old 04-01-13, 11:20 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

nice, i just got BCR in 16/10, waiting for ups to arrive....
Old 04-01-13, 11:21 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice write up and good looking F
Old 04-01-13, 11:54 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

great weigh savings for sure when added up. nice work and car looks good.
Old 04-01-13, 12:03 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

wait until u changed out exhaust, and stock headers, taking out those spare tires , tools and changed oem battery :P
Old 04-01-13, 01:05 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Good writeup. I appreciate it when people take the time to go into detail on their mods. Your thread will be a good reference tool when I go back to calculate my total weight savings later.
Old 04-01-13, 01:10 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Interesting that you mentioned the steering, because one of the other things I'd like to do is get the upgraded steering ECU from the later models.
Keep me posted on the upgrade. Sewell has the ECU. I always wanted to do that.

Originally Posted by Rossi
Has anyone upgraded the ECU on isf?

I found the part on the Sewell site....$443.81

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/5645.html

Last edited by Rossi; 04-01-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 01:37 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

beautiful car. looks very good and clean. i, too, went this route for lightweight and everything is just feeling great. not sure if i want to shell out for the rotors , that is the only thing left for my unsprung weight reduction.
Old 04-01-13, 05:55 PM
haydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your Stock TPMS transfer ok?

Quick Reply: The F has learned some new footwork