IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Professional Paint Correction on the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 03:42 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Paint Correction on the "F"

Hi Guys, following on from my first post I thought some of you might like to see this.

I had my car detailed a while back and whoever did it must have had something on the pad, they did a bit of damage to the paintwork.

Anyway, I lived with it for a while but Black just shows this damage up so much, I decided to have a professional paint correction done by a trusted detailer.

James at AutoGlamour here in Brisbane Australia came to the rescue and what a turnaround, the car came back better than when it left the showroom.

This was exterior only and took around 14 hours and $800.00, not cheap but it was worth it in my book.

Here's the Detailing thread and a quick couple of pics to start off.

Enjoy!

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/sho...lack-Lexus-ISF

Old 04-01-13, 04:35 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Paintwork looks awesome, as I said in your other thread. But $800?! What is that in USD? If we're talking $800 USD for a full detail, that's wayyy too much, at least more than I'd be willing to pay for sure.I know it is hard work... I once spent 7 hours in a hot garage on a 100F day doing a previous black car with a Porter Cable (and I had a friend that helped) and it was ridiculously tough, so I can appreciate the effort that went in to your car. Still though, I think you could have gotten the same results for half that price, again if we're talking USD.

Still though, looks awesome!
Old 04-01-13, 05:03 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Wish my black looked that good
Old 04-01-13, 05:19 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Black it tough to keep up! Glad you got it fixed. Now to maintain it...
Old 04-01-13, 08:08 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The only correct capable of fixing my Obsidian is respray. The track is brutal on paint.
Old 04-01-13, 08:38 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, these guys have no idea because they've been too cheap to spend the cash to have such a job done. I bet for $800, your paint looks just as good as new if not better due to the extensive polishing that's involved.a $200 job won't get you that, all that buys you is smooth paint that wears off in a few days but keeps all the swirls and scratches you had. $800 for full detail sounds right if done right. I just got my car back yesterday and melted when I saw it, $400 for just paint work, no interior.My paint was disgusting from previous washing and buffing at the dealership. These pictures I can GUARANTEE don't do the job justice. you have to see it in person to appreciate.
Old 04-01-13, 08:41 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The only correct capable of fixing my Obsidian is respray. The track is brutal on paint.
I wish you lived close to me, I'd pay half if you weren't satisfied,
Old 04-01-13, 08:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I had it done by the detailer recommended to me at one of Atlanta's best known body shops. They specialize in black cars. The number and depth of chips in the bumper cover, hood and leading edge of the front quarter panels is too much for just a correction. The car looks like I followed a line painter and got tiny white specks all over the front. (that's what I originally thought and why I took it to the detailer first). As it turns out, the specks are chips in the clear with enough deep chips down to the base white to make it not worthwhile for a full correction. Even a wet sand and restore would only remove half of the damage. The deep white chips would remain, and they are many.

I'd take pics, but it's too painful.
Old 04-01-13, 08:55 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

awesome result!! lucky i have a SFP lol
Old 04-01-13, 10:08 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Well, $800 for a paint correction is less for what I just payed yesterday when I picked up my car. Mine was a 2step paint correction with a "glass coat" and payed $1k plus taxes. It was TOTALLY worth it!! I will post pics later.

To the OP, I know how happy you are now! Because I feel the same!!
Old 04-01-13, 12:08 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
To the OP, these guys have no idea because they've been too cheap to spend the cash to have such a job done. I bet for $800, your paint looks just as good as new if not better due to the extensive polishing that's involved.a $200 job won't get you that, all that buys you is smooth paint that wears off in a few days but keeps all the swirls and scratches you had. $800 for full detail sounds right if done right. I just got my car back yesterday and melted when I saw it, $400 for just paint work, no interior.My paint was disgusting from previous washing and buffing at the dealership. These pictures I can GUARANTEE don't do the job justice. you have to see it in person to appreciate.
Originally Posted by kbtoiz
Well, $800 for a paint correction is less for what I just payed yesterday when I picked up my car. Mine was a 2step paint correction with a "glass coat" and payed $1k plus taxes. It was TOTALLY worth it!! I will post pics later.

To the OP, I know how happy you are now! Because I feel the same!!
Well I'll be damned. $800-$1K on a paint correction seems very high to me, but then again maybe I don't know what a $1K job looks like. To some of you guys, I guess it is worth it. Perhaps if this wasn't my daily driver and I'd be able to keep it out of the elements, I'd go for it. Unfortunately though, even though I garage it at home, it is my daily and I do drive it no matter the weather. I also park it outside at my office. I fear $1K on a detail/paint correction would not be money well spent for me.
Old 04-01-13, 12:21 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay being a pretty good detailer myself. I am not amazing but I am always getting better. I don't see how you all could justify spending 1k on a job. If someone charges $35/hr which is pretty standard that means they spent 28 hours on your car. I have done 1,2,3,4, and 5 stage polishes. I can say that if you start with an aggressive enough combination you can get out almost all the swirls. That would take me 4-5 hours total to wash, polish, and protect the car so thats $175. I personally think you over paid.

But I do exactly what the customer asks of me if you want a 5 stage okay you got it; would I recommend not a chance. Anything over 3 to me is pointless. I do not count glazes as a polishing step also.

Last edited by zapa; 04-01-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 12:26 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad. Looks like the paint was never taken care of before this. Time to start lol. But for that price my painter would re spray the front half of my car and polish the rest of the car.
Old 04-01-13, 12:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Not bad. Looks like the paint was never taken care of before this. Time to start lol. But for that price my painter would re spray the front half of my car and polish the rest of the car.
That would be the major hook up price here. A reputable shop will charge $2k - $3k for a properly done front end respray with no blending.
Old 04-01-13, 12:39 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly I don't think some of you understand the time involved In a professional job. A guy down the street from me does professional detailing and I don't think he charges less than a grand for it. He is however in the top 10 detailers in the world and does amazing things.

Quick Reply: Professional Paint Correction on the "F"