IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Professional Paint Correction on the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 03:20 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Just FYI - all of those defects shown in the pics and thread you posted are most likely from improper washing and drying - not anything 'caught in the pad' that the previous detailer had used.
Hi, thanks for the feedback. i agree in part that some of it was my fault, sheer ignorance on my part, a commercial car hand wash initially, my bucket method and a couple of other no no's.

As you mentioned, some detailers are hopeless. there was a lot more swirl when it came back from the initial detail. Somebody had taken a wire brush to a wheel, realised the damage they were doing and resorted to washing them properly. All in all a very bad experience.

The detailer who did the paint correction was excellent, told me the correct washing method and this car is still beading nicely.

A couple of things you may not agree with in my method but I appreciate any input. The car still looks spectacular after 8 months, a bit of marring here and there, a couple of scratches and the dreaded stone chips.

This is what I do weekly.
Gerni wheels first, apply "Poorboys" Spray and Rinse. Gerni off.
Wheels are hand washed every third or fourth wash, they have CQuartz applied, great for getting rid of the dust easily.
Gerni car, hand wash two bucket method, Zainos Car Wash, with microfibre mitt which is replaced every eight washes.
Air dried with a hand held blower so no chamois, less contact so less marring.

Finished off with Zaino Z8 and a quality microfibre cloth.

I use Aerospace 303 for the trim etc and Zaino wheel shine for the wheels.

This takes me about 90 minutes these days and around four or five beers.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-04-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 04:24 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The 5 beers are the issue. For me, after the third one, I'd probably have questionable drying methods and break out the leaf blower, haha!

Last edited by vbb; 04-04-13 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 07:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like an overall good maintenance routine! Sure makes a difference!
Old 04-04-13, 07:58 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
The 5 beers are the issue. For me, after the third one, I'd probably have questionable drying methods and break out the leaf blower, haha!
I would recommend that you do not drink and detail
Old 04-04-13, 07:58 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
LOL Specially is those are Heineken
Old 04-04-13, 10:54 AM
silver750
Driver

Originally Posted by Brisman
Hi, thanks for the feedback. i agree in part that some of it was my fault, sheer ignorance on my part, a commercial car hand wash initially, my bucket method and a couple of other no no's.

As you mentioned, some detailers are hopeless. there was a lot more swirl when it came back from the initial detail. Somebody had taken a wire brush to a wheel, realised the damage they were doing and resorted to washing them properly. All in all a very bad experience.

The detailer who did the paint correction was excellent, told me the correct washing method and this car is still beading nicely.

A couple of things you may not agree with in my method but I appreciate any input. The car still looks spectacular after 8 months, a bit of marring here and there, a couple of scratches and the dreaded stone chips.

This is what I do weekly.
Gerni wheels first, apply "Poorboys" Spray and Rinse. Gerni off.
Wheels are hand washed every third or fourth wash, they have CQuartz applied, great for getting rid of the dust easily.
Gerni car, hand wash two bucket method, Zainos Car Wash, with microfibre mitt which is replaced every eight washes.
Air dried with a hand held blower so no chamois, less contact so less marring.

Finished off with Zaino Z8 and a quality microfibre cloth.

I use Aerospace 303 for the trim etc and Zaino wheel shine for the wheels.

This takes me about 90 minutes these days and around four or five beers.
The steps you highlighted are the exact way a car should be maintained. When you do this it will stay looking good for much longer.

I do almost the exact same steps with different chemicals, I'm partial to Blackfire and Optimum-No rinse.
Old 04-22-13, 03:16 AM
Brisman
Rookie

A wee update, this maybe helps clarify the difference between a paint correction and a normal detail.

After eight months the car went back to the same guy today, washed, clay bar, light polish, paint sealant and waxed, interior clean.

This time $AUS360.00 (six hours), I kept the car in good nick with a good maintenance routine so it came in at under half the cost of the correction and now good for around 8/10 months.

I think there is a bit more maintenance required with Black but looks fantastic when done, the Obsidian is just fantastic when detailed properly.

A couple of average pics, I'm having a photo shoot done soon so I will have better pics, black out on the chrome window surrounds should be done too.

Stay safe and enjoy the pics.

Old 04-22-13, 03:41 AM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Looks great. Here's mine detailed on my own. Obsidian is a sweet car to stare at when clean. =)

Last edited by SPoon22; 04-22-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 03:44 AM
Brisman
Rookie

SPoon22, fantastic detail, don't they look great when done properly.

Another couple of better pics.

Old 04-22-13, 03:48 AM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Loving it!!! Can't stop staring at the pics!! You got my thumbs up buddy!!
Old 04-22-13, 04:05 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPoon22
Loving it!!! Can't stop staring at the pics!! You got my thumbs up buddy!!
Thanks mate, thumbs up for you too, you obviously have a bit of experience doing this, it's a cracking job you did yourself.

Me, too scared in case I bugger it up, I'll leave it to the experts for now.
Old 04-22-13, 10:39 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Obsidian is the best when it's detailed, but for those times when it isn't, we all know that it can look pretty bad real fast. Great shots, Sam!

No need to be scared Brisman- there's plenty of detailing tips on the forums, and it can look equally as great as a pro detailer. And oddly enough, I like the chrome trim. Typically I'm not a fan, but it goes well with the blades of the wheels. Just my thought.
Old 04-22-13, 02:57 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is, "VERY NICE" (in Borat voice).
Old 04-22-13, 07:04 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Obsidian is the best when it's detailed, but for those times when it isn't, we all know that it can look pretty bad real fast. Great shots, Sam!

No need to be scared Brisman- there's plenty of detailing tips on the forums, and it can look equally as great as a pro detailer. And oddly enough, I like the chrome trim. Typically I'm not a fan, but it goes well with the blades of the wheels. Just my thought.
Thanks dude!! =)
Old 04-24-13, 01:39 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brisman
A wee update, this maybe helps clarify the difference between a paint correction and a normal detail.

After eight months the car went back to the same guy today, washed, clay bar, light polish, paint sealant and waxed, interior clean.

This time $AUS360.00 (six hours), I kept the car in good nick with a good maintenance routine so it came in at under half the cost of the correction and now good for around 8/10 months.

I think there is a bit more maintenance required with Black but looks fantastic when done, the Obsidian is just fantastic when detailed properly.

A couple of average pics, I'm having a photo shoot done soon so I will have better pics, black out on the chrome window surrounds should be done too.

Stay safe and enjoy the pics.

Looks awesome. Car sits really nice with the KW's

Quick Reply: Professional Paint Correction on the "F"