IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What made you choose the IS-F over other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 07:57 PM
autopilotF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are all totally different cars. You should think about what is most important then make a decision.

For me, what's great about the F is the total package: power, performance, 4-door sedan, Toyota quality, great interior, and uniqueness.
Old 03-31-13, 08:05 PM
silver750
Driver

legendary Toyota reliability, subtlety, performance, and a great overall car!
Old 03-31-13, 08:05 PM
Turizmo01
Rookie

Definitely can't compare the IS-F to a 370z. I chose the IS-F because I don't see a lot of them around here and I love having something that everyone else doesn't have! I came from an Evo X pushing 400 awhp, but I wanted something more luxury and fast at the same time. The Evo X was just fast, the interior was plain, I could hear all the outside noise. It's funny how I always end up owning another Lexus, I went from a brand new 2005 IS300 to a 2008 Evo X, traded that and got a 2008 IS350, traded that and got a 2011 Evo X, then sold that and got my IS-F lol.
Old 04-01-13, 07:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

1. Needed four doors - already have a Supra
2. Wanted good power - better than my IS350
3. Wanted competitive handling - had to be fun to drive on a road course
4. Needed acceptable fuel economy - real world, not EPA
5. Would not accept questionable reliability - I don't want to be forced to buy an extended warranty

The F won over C63 AMG and BMW E90 M3 after evaluating all five points. The Benz lost miserably on fuel economy and reliability expectations, the BMW lost on reliability expectations.

Bonus - the Lexus came with more standard features and a lower price.

Things I don't care about:

1. Exclusivity - this only means parts will be expensive, aftermarket will be near zero, and in 10 years when Lexus is E coding parts availability for the car, it will be time to buy something new.

2. Any two door - while the F is a good car, it's not a great car compared to two door competitors in its price range. A Corvette with a good driver - even a base model - will run away and hide in front of you at a track day.

3. Extensive "modability" - I worked in a race shop building road race motorcycles from street bikes. I owned a very highly modified Yamaha FJ1100 and spent many hundreds of hours to make it faster and when I was done, it wasn't fun anymore. It was scary fast, did wheelies without provocation, and turned a canyon ride into a complete breath control exercise because there weren't any straight sections anymore. Plus, every time I changed one thing, I had to change five other things that now proved to be the new weak points. I think I learned more about ignition electronics and spark plugs than I ever wanted to know. I also learned about how the manufacturers build and tune engines on a production line vs. how they build and tune engines for magazine testing. So I take everything they claim with a grain of salt. BIG grain of salt. I also know exactly what to focus on when blueprinting an engine.

So, after all this, it was easy for me to pick the Lexus.
Old 04-01-13, 08:09 AM
JcISF
Rookie

My two main reasons were due to rarity and reliability. I feel this car offers the best of both worlds for a daily driver.

Plus, I'm too pissed about how much money we had to throw towards my wif'e's ML350 in the 4 years we've owned it.
Old 04-01-13, 08:28 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're considering a 370Z or a Mustang over an ISF, then it's clear to me that you're after just speed and not luxury and comfort. Even if speed is what you're after at, then I have no idea how the 370Z got into this thread, it's not close to an ISF. Get an Evo, put a couple of grand on it, and you have an ISF/M3/C63 killer.

At this point I'll not step down in performance, luxury, and comfort, those are the three main reasons why I drive an ISF.
Old 04-01-13, 10:47 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

I don't own an F but ive been close to biting the bullet many times. Why it was what I wanted was.

1. 4 Doors = Practicality I already own a sport bike and convertible for pure speed.
2. More reliable - than the M3 & the Merc and Audie's look ugly to me...except the LED lights.
3. Different = I see way more "M" series, "AMG's than I do "F"s.
4. POWA = I will never forget the first time I drove an F, just cruising very comfortable nice ride turn here turn there. Then the salesman said turn down this road and hit it...I said are you sure? He said YEA! And all I heard was...VRUUUUOOOMM. Such a deep tone, which came from no where. Fell in love!
Old 04-01-13, 12:09 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from a modded N/A G37S Coupe, intake, HFCs, true dual exhaust, Cobb AP tuned. I needed something slightly bigger for my two kids with 4 doors so they could get in and out of the car with ease, but mainly cause I got tired of my daughter kicking the back of my seat. Not to mention I wanted something faster!

My story behind the F. Truth be told, I had to settle for the ISF. After selling my G37 I was enroute to the dealer to pick out my GTR (choices between midnight blue or 3 coat silver), but I couldnt stand seeing my wife (girlfriend at the time) drive her beater civic while I drove a GTR. Although I did tell her to take the G37 before selling it and then I could still buy the GTR, but she refused cause it was modded with a body kit and didnt want to chance breaking anything. So on the way to the Nissan dealership I ended up taking a detour to Lexus and surprised her with a 2012 IS350 F-Sport. I still tried for the GTR after getting her car, but was only approved $75k so I settled for the ISF. Sometimes I wish I just kept on driving pass the Lexus dealership LOL. I'll get my GTR sooner or later

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 04-01-13 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 12:11 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Coming from a modded N/A G37S Coupe, I needed something slightly bigger for the kids with 4 doors so they could get in and out of the car with ease. Not to mention I wanted something faster!

My story behind the F. Truth be told, I had to settle for the ISF cause after selling my G37 I was enroute to pick out my GTR (choices between midnight blue or 3 coat silver), but I couldnt stand seeing my wife (girlfriend at the time) drive her beater civic while I drove a GTR. Although I did tell her to take the G37 before selling it and then I could still buy the GTR, but she refused cause it was modded with a body kit and didnt want to chance breaking anything. So on the way to the Nissan dealership I ended up taking a detour to Lexus and surprised her with an 2012 IS350 F-Sport and then bought my the ISF shortly after. Sometimes I wish I just kept on driving pass the Lexus dealership LOL. I'll get my GTR sooner or later
You sound like a good guy
Old 04-01-13, 02:56 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
My wife always wanted a Lexus. There was only one choice I could live with.....ISF.
same here she wanted the ct200h but I couldn't bear to have a hybrid
Old 04-01-13, 03:46 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

4 doors, RELIABILITY, resale value, best gas mileage from a v8..
Old 04-02-13, 08:03 AM
choiceISF
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure you heard this before, but I chose the IS-F for it's dual functions of driving like any any other lexus and blipping through the gears in sport mode when I felt like it.

I've had a 350Z, Evo X, E86 BMW and the IS-F is the most practical yet can go beast mode anytime.

Also it's low key and not too flashy.
Old 04-02-13, 08:35 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by choiceISF
I'm sure you heard this before, but I chose the IS-F for it's dual functions of driving like any any other lexus and blipping through the gears in sport mode when I felt like it.

I've had a 350Z, Evo X, E86 BMW and the IS-F is the most practical yet can go beast mode anytime.

Also it's low key and not too flashy.
Exactly this.

I did everything I could to make my STi look stock. I hid all upgrades. Stock wheels and boring twin tip stock looking exhaust. With the hood up you couldn't tell I was making damn near 500hp.

I hate drawing attention to myself.

I figured with the ISF most people wouldn't give a second look and for the most part I was correct.