IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions

Old 05-31-13, 03:30 PM
formula0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll get straight to the point

My car: 2010 IS-F (Torsen LSD)
Current mileage: ~80K miles
Transmission oil changed: 33K miles (prompted/performed by Lexus of Newport Beach during my 30K service)
Diff oil changed: Never, still running factory fill
Drivetrain issues: none whatsoever

Given that I'm approaching 90K, I'd like to replace my trans oil and diff oil. What kind of oil should I be using in the trans and diff?

Please supply make/model/part numbers for oil where appropriate.

TIA.
Old 05-31-13, 03:58 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,510 Likes on 655 Posts

Subscribed
Old 06-01-13, 02:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by formula0
My car: 2010 IS-F (Torsen LSD)
Current mileage: ~80K miles
Transmission oil changed: 33K miles (prompted/performed by Lexus of Newport Beach during my 30K service)
Diff oil changed: Never, still running factory fill
Drivetrain issues: none whatsoever

Given that I'm approaching 90K, I'd like to replace my trans oil and diff oil. What kind of oil should I be using in the trans and diff?

Please supply make/model/part numbers for oil where appropriate.

TIA.
Transmission:
Toyota WS ATF. Dry fill is 11.1 US quarts or 10.5 liters. Adjusting the level is difficult at best. There is no published procedure for this from Lexus, and I would ask any dealership telling me to do this how they intend to do it when Lexus says never change the fluid.

Differential:
Capacity: 1.3 to 1.4 liters (1.4 to 1.5 US qts, 1.1 to 1.2 Imp. qts)
Oil grade: Toyota genuine differential gear oil LX 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent. I put Red Line 75w-90 GL5 in mine because I had it sitting on the shelf. I've been using this oil in my Supra for the last 20 years.
The following users liked this post:
AlOtaBblGm (09-23-20)
Old 12-03-14, 05:08 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good Morning men, I have been doing all essential maintenance deemed necessary as I am approaching 100K mark such as spark plugs, belts, fluids, etc to make my F last to 200K. I still am concerned with the factory stating NEVER to change the tranny fluid. I understand the engineers has spec'd this but due to lack of information as an engineer my self leaves me still questioning why not, especially when on other various more standard vehicle transmissions I have done every 40K give or take. I drive the F moderately (meaning a punch here or there, never tracked, and never had temps above three bars).

I guess just drive it until it fails is the idea I presume.. ... I such a "Preventative Maintenance" kind of guy this one still has me hung up//
Old 12-04-14, 04:04 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, the Land Cruiser and Tundra, which have a similar Aisin transmission, cooling system, and WS fluid, spec a 100k change.
Old 12-04-14, 04:54 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, im getting mixed responses. I am one to initially go off the data provided by manufacturer, but habit tells me otherwise. for my particular situation and taking other data from others (mileage and terms) of use it seems it is more likely NOT to have problems going forth with factory recommendations. From experience, not understanding of how our particular tranny is designed, etc. My proactive soul wants not to flush but to have the old fluid cycled with new fluid to verify I have a positive outcome as my current plan is to keep the F for long time. Again I TRUST the factory recommendations but always like to VERIFY my outcome by being proactive so im stumped my habitual ways.
Old 12-04-14, 10:37 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool Changing Transmission Fluid

I'm still up in the air on this one.

My experience:

1. I used to build Chrysler drag race four speed transmissions. During maintenance we routinely changed fluid. The "fluid kind of" needed changing. For fluid, we used all kinds of concoctions, but none were as good as the fluids available today.
2. All my vehicles with automatic transmissions get fluid changes. I have two LS 430's (early Type 4 fluid) and they get changed. They definitely shift for the better. Fluid does not look that great at 60 K.
3. I have a Monaco class A coach with an Allison III series transmission. The manufacturer says "change fluid at 25,000 miles unless you use their synthetic and then go 75,000 after the first change at 25 K. I use Dexron III and the stuff looks brand new at 25 K. Go figure, but they are serious.
4. My friend works at a Chevron lube plant. They used to make Toyota WS Transmission fluid. He said that because Toyota's additive package was such a large part of the batch, he wondered if the life of the fluid was maybe shortened.
5. A lot of people on the internet (Toyota Truck Forums) change out the Toyota WS fluid. They measure what comes out from the transmission cooler line and add that exact amount back. They then check the level using the approved method.
6. Rebuilding one of these transmissions might be quite difficult as well as expensive. I think it may work better with fresh fluid after maybe 60-75 thousand miles. If you run the heck out of your F, I'll bet that the existing transmission cooler is barely adequate for cooling. I know the engine oil cooler is not, so be sure to at least use synthetic engine oil.

Old 12-06-14, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

When I ran my F at CMP in 102 F heat, the gearbox oil did not overheat. The engine oil nearly did, and was much hotter than I would have preferred, but I am pretty confident Lexus went overboard with the transmission's cooling. The Blackstone check at over 70k miles had zero indication of wear problems and this was after multiple track weekends. They say lifetime fill on the gearbox, but change the engine oil every 5k (and I know for a fact there is no adverse impact to extending OCI to 12k miles if you are running Mobil 1).

My car is rapidly approaching the 110k mile mark. I'll be sending another sample to Blackstone soon, so I'll have two data points. I am getting concerned about the volatile components of the fluid boiling off/evaporating over time only because the car is 6 years in service with nothing but level checked from time to time.
Old 12-07-14, 12:18 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked the maintenance schedule from lexus, in Canada they recommend you change it at 96,000km. So aprox 60,000miles or so.

Old 12-07-14, 07:36 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I wonder why Canada would be different...my manual says nothing about replacing tranny fluid. I'm in Cali.
Old 12-07-14, 09:12 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

To what Lobuxracer said, my biggest qualm is trusting Lexus but no form of verification to check levels, etc. I am even further cautious because we know with harsher driving circumstances fluids need to be change more frequently in comparison to "regular driving conditions"..

I initially was thinking the different regimen for oil change in Canada was climate, but there are many other parts of the world that experience such change if not a greater fluctuation of temperature that could cause greater harm...

So, I may need to get some fluid to sample as well to Blackstone. Still not enough information for me to put issue to rest. I am considering writing a technical document to Lexus Headquarters to possibly escalate my concerns. Because I will not overlook such preventative maintenance if applicable to extend the life of the transmission in the F, also may help those that do track or more aggressively track their F. Which I see no problem with because that is what the F was advertised to be used for on a spirited level.
Old 12-08-14, 02:10 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked mine and says the same this for an 08.
Old 12-08-14, 03:28 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I just checked mine and says the same this for an 08.
Can you get your hands on the Lexus workshop procedure on how to replace the transmission fluid from the Canadian dealer?

Last edited by gripau1; 12-08-14 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 01:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by gripau1
Can you get your hands on the Lexus workshop procedure on how to replace the transmission fluid from the Canadian dealer?
If it exists, it will have to be a Canadian Lexus dealer, not an independent. The US TIS site shows Lexus of Canada defaulting to the US TIS for independent sales.

I tried to find Canadian specific info with my TIS login, but there's nothing there to see how to do it. If a Canadian member wants to send me a VIN, I could try a VIN inquiry and see if it helps, but that might be the only possible hack to make this happen.
Old 12-08-14, 02:35 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If it exists, it will have to be a Canadian Lexus dealer, not an independent. The US TIS site shows Lexus of Canada defaulting to the US TIS for independent sales.

I tried to find Canadian specific info with my TIS login, but there's nothing there to see how to do it. If a Canadian member wants to send me a VIN, I could try a VIN inquiry and see if it helps, but that might be the only possible hack to make this happen.
Let me know if no one sent you their VIN I'll PM you mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - See #99 for level set instructions