IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z or Borla ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 08:40 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Borla catback. It actually gets quieter after a couple of hundred miles of driving. You still get that V8 rumble that is missing on the stock exhaust. And at WOT it just sounds wicked. I still get stares from people who cannot reconcile the Lexus badge with the performance car exhaust note.

After I installed the Borla, I actually found it has a drone spot at around 2k RPM (I am VERY sensitive to this). I emailed Borla and they sent me some venturis for free. I popped them in before the mufflers and it is completely drone free now. I did consider the JoeZ, and IMHO the JoeZ does sound better at WOT, but I can't live with the drone.

Some nice sounds with the Borla on my car:

Old 04-10-13, 08:48 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i do admit, the joe z sounds better after it's been broken in. after having borla exhaust on my previous car, i will never buy borla again because of the material , fit and feel. feels cheap. even knowing its quiet and is price cheap for the gains on the F, not one time i contemplated on buying borla for the F.
Old 04-10-13, 09:33 PM
780lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the borla but was thinking of cutting the resonators, has anyone done this or can chime in on how this will sound?
Old 04-10-13, 09:37 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

im riding w/ the borla now and i love it...the sound is excellent
Old 04-10-13, 09:38 PM
stick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
+1 on the Borla catback. It actually gets quieter after a couple of hundred miles of driving. You still get that V8 rumble that is missing on the stock exhaust. And at WOT it just sounds wicked. I still get stares from people who cannot reconcile the Lexus badge with the performance car exhaust note.

After I installed the Borla, I actually found it has a drone spot at around 2k RPM (I am VERY sensitive to this). I emailed Borla and they sent me some venturis for free. I popped them in before the mufflers and it is completely drone free now. I did consider the JoeZ, and IMHO the JoeZ does sound better at WOT, but I can't live with the drone.

What did you install before the mufflers? Do you have pics?
Old 04-10-13, 10:11 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

yea im curious too...wtf is the venturis?
Old 04-10-13, 10:16 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by vmatheboss
wtf is the venturis?
.........where do you put it?
Old 04-10-13, 10:18 PM
jack7824
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered the Borla catback. Would've gone JoeZ in my 20's. Heard both at the last bbq and they both sounded great, however the Borla appeared a bit deeper and more toned down. Guess I'm getting older.
Old 04-10-13, 10:58 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vmatheboss
yea im curious too...wtf is the venturis?
Me three, the droning is annoying me.
Old 04-10-13, 11:00 PM
Brisman
Rookie

Originally Posted by jack7824
Just ordered the Borla catback. Would've gone JoeZ in my 20's. Heard both at the last bbq and they both sounded great, however the Borla appeared a bit deeper and more toned down. Guess I'm getting older.
When you get older your hearing gets worse, so the Joe Z should be okay.
Old 04-10-13, 11:28 PM
jack7824
Driver School Candidate

Fortunately, I'm not quite there yet. I think the fact that I had loud, obnoxious exhausts ( with serious drone) on many of my early cars has given me an appreciation for decibel moderation.
Old 04-10-13, 11:45 PM
AussieISF
Driver

I emailed Borla support about the drone, quoted my receipt number and they sent me 4 venturis for free. They look like this:

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/images/VEN.225.jpg

I raised the back of the car, detached the muffler section and used a mallet to knock the venturis into the axle-back section of the exhaust. Borla recommends you tack weld it, but so far I have had no problems nor rattling without the welding. Put the mufflers back on and you're all set. They sent me 4 venturis but I only needed 2. It's VERY straight forward, even I could do it! Note that it is a very tight fit (and it should be, or else it'd rattle), you won't be able to get the venturis in using barehands. Think "virgin on wedding night".

The venturis are apparently too far along in the exhaust system for the restriction to have any impact on performance, and my butt dyno verifies this. It certainly removes the "boominess" of the droning, but still retaining the HP gains, beautiful WOT sound and V8 rumble at idle.

Last edited by AussieISF; 04-10-13 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 01:25 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Maybe a silly question.

Do you think this would work on a Joe Z and reduce the drone?
Old 04-11-13, 06:14 AM
AussieISF
Driver

It might, but you need to find venturis that will fit the JoeZ exhaust. The ones that Borla send out fit their exhaust (have to quote them your model number so they send you the right ones), and it's a very tight fit. So much so I don't think I can ever remove them now without cutting the pipes up.
Old 04-11-13, 06:45 AM
TOMW
Rookie

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
It might, but you need to find venturis that will fit the JoeZ exhaust. The ones that Borla send out fit their exhaust (have to quote them your model number so they send you the right ones), and it's a very tight fit. So much so I don't think I can ever remove them now without cutting the pipes up.
do you have headers too?

Quick Reply: Joe Z or Borla ?????