IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z or Borla ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 05:38 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^You must be thinking of Greddy... HKS sounds similar to my second cat/muffler delete.

Old 03-26-13, 06:34 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff and Simon have hks axel backs and they both were quieter than the borla.
Old 03-27-13, 01:05 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this set of borla seems to connect at the muffler cans? mine was in 3 pieces... the mufflers, then the middle resonator?, then the x-pipe.... they were all seperate with clamps on each of those joints.... definitely alot lighter then stock piping/cans....

and for the people who are wondering about the sound..its definitely louder than stock.... 1-3k rpm is pretty mean sounding.... cannot control that in the city stop and goes.... not to mention at night trying not to wake your block up

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Does the pipe connect at the bend? Sorry, from pictures I just thought they were welded together but not connected.

Old 03-27-13, 08:13 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Joe Z intake and exhaust. There can be a little drone on cold starts and when lightly accelerating around 2k but freeway driving sounds great virtually goes away unless your climbing hills etc then it's there but subtle. I have secondary cat deletes too.

I heard a few borla set ups at the so cal BBQ. They sounded great too. I have had Borla on other vehicles and they all sounded amazing. Quiet when they need to be and loud when your on it.

In my opinion you get an exhaust to improve the sound and the Joe Z does that. Any quieter and I'd be disappointed. Proven HP gains and great sound makes Joe Z a great choice
Old 03-27-13, 08:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
I just switch from a PPE and Joe Z set up to a Borla. I like the Joe Z a little better at woot, but cant stand the drone. It was really uncomfortable for me driving it everyday. Now with the Borla its a lot better. Little to no drone at all sounds deeper with the V8 rumble. When woot it the same as the Joe Z. Its perfect for a DD.
Nice to see someone else that's done the Header/PTS JOEZ to Header/Borla switch and confirm what I've been saying for some time.

For those of you who have headers or thinking about getting them and like to keep a relatively comfortable ride Borla is the way to go. The other alternative would be to add cats to your JoeZ exhaust, but you risk issues with them as seen a few times here.
Old 03-27-13, 09:52 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Nice to see someone else that's done the Header/PTS JOEZ to Header/Borla switch and confirm what I've been saying for some time.

For those of you who have headers or thinking about getting them and like to keep a relatively comfortable ride Borla is the way to go. The other alternative would be to add cats to your JoeZ exhaust, but you risk issues with them as seen a few times here.
Adding cats would defeat the purpose of the exhaust (i can imagine it'll sound horrible). Just get a second set of resonators.
Old 03-27-13, 10:13 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Adding cats would defeat the purpose of the exhaust (i can imagine it'll sound horrible). Just get a second set of resonators.
Actually I didn't lose any power and it didn't sound horrible with the addition of the high flow cats on the JoeZ exhaust. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6015477-post187.html

Obviously I don't still have that setup and tried out the Borla exhaust which fit my liking better. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6684634-post195.html
Old 03-27-13, 10:21 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Actually I didn't lose any power and it didn't sound horrible with the addition of the high flow cats on the JoeZ exhaust. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6015477-post187.html

Obviously I don't still have that setup and tried out the Borla exhaust which fit my liking better. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6684634-post195.html
Good information. I had Random Technology HFC on my other car but didn't realize they were that good. I would assume any HFC would reduce power but I guess not.

Either way I would still take a resonator over a HFC just for the sheer fact that it tones down the exhaust without any restrictions.
Old 03-27-13, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Not trying to get on a any moral platform here, but IMHO, Running catalytic converters is the socially responsible thing to do in todays environment. With that being said, my friend with a PPE/JoeZ combo and no cats does get 12 more peak horses than I do with my modified exhaust utilizing Hi-Flow Magnaflow cats. however I pull him up to 3K RPM, we stay even up to 5.7K and he pulls me on the top end.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Joe Z or Borla ?????-louvsjose2-1s.jpg  
Old 04-08-13, 10:42 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the Borla last week and I am extremely happy with my decision . You definitely know something is back there but at the same time I can talk to clients (as long as I am not at WOT). I would definitely recommend .
Old 04-10-13, 08:50 AM
bsomthin
Driver School Candidate

borla is the way to go
Old 04-10-13, 09:14 AM
raceism
Rookie

Joe Z exhaust + Sikky headers + Joe Z intake = FTW!!! BADA$$$!!!
Old 04-10-13, 09:21 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by raceism
Joe Z exhaust + Sikky headers + Joe Z intake = FTW!!! BADA$$$!!!
+99 you better believe it

Last edited by ISF4life; 04-10-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 09:23 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

I was torn between the JoeZ and Borla but at the end of the day the Borla cost much less than the JoeZ so I went with the Borla. I purchased mine from Amazon when Amazon was still tax free for CA and used Amazon Prime and selected next day shipping for $3.99. IMO this deal could not be beat. And I am completely satisfied with the sound. Minimal drone and sounds absolutely amazing when you get on it.
Old 04-10-13, 07:54 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You can find a louder &/or more exotic sound if you pay quite a bit more money...but you cannot get more performance and DDability for the money than with the Borla catback exhaust.

Quick Reply: Joe Z or Borla ?????